HAND CARE

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby muddy323 » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:22 pm

Other than pissing on my hands, Is there any other recomendation for my hands. After a 2 hour session. My hand be on fire, with or without tape. Is there any suggestion to rejuvenate my hands quicker. After playing 1 gig, I dont want to touch any drums for days

Edited By muddy323 on Nov. 24 2003 at 22:24
muddy323

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:26 pm

muddy323 wrote:Other than pissing on my hands, Is there any other recomendation for my hands. After a 2 hour session. My hand be on fire, with or without tape. Is there any suggestion to rejuvenate my hands quicker. After playing 1 gig, I dont want to touch any drums for days

Pardon my ignorance but what urinating on your hand suppose to do? I heard it before. I wonder what kind of magic discarded waste from your own body suppose to do. I guess your hand hurts because after all you are beating the #### out of your hands flesh, muscles, tendons, ligaments and bones. Would not a pain killer like motrim and probably soaked or dip your hands alternating rounds of cold/hot water or some kind of solution like epson salt help some. At times I have played for a couple of hour straight and next day my hands will be sore and tender but I am able to play again with basically no discomfort. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:02 am

Really? Got a microphone for the gig? Or do you tend to play hard?
Hot water and some epsom salt helps ease the pain, if its pain.
Pain shows something is not right in your playing, what kind of pain is it?

T
Tonio

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:29 am

I don't know how hard you hit,but after a night of pounding the drum, try your hands in some ice water to bring down any swelling and pain. It works, forget about the old tale of urinating. If it continues, check your technique and make the necessary adjustments.....At yor Service... JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby muddy323 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:15 pm

Some of the Cuban urinate on there hands as a form of treatment to calluses...I like the Ice water and Epson salt treatment...I know my conga technique have some flaws...which im working on
muddy323

Postby Tonio » Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:31 pm

Yeah I heard about the urinating thing .
So are they calluses? Like right on the joints? They are killers.
Or is the skin splitting?
Tonio

Postby muddy323 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:20 pm

i have not splitt any skin yet. I use lots of hand lotion,but the tips of my fingers get sore and sometime my finger joints get sore...my thumps have develope some heavy calluses over the last 25 years and they never get sore.
muddy323

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:46 pm

I think the best hand care would be to focus on the technique aspect. my teacher has instilled in me the concept that "if a stroke hurts then it probably wrong" ( assuming that one is in good health, etc. ) When I began with my teacher I spent two months doing nothing other than working on stroke technique. Still, at the beginning of very practice session, I do simple warm ups while focusing on technique maintenance and improvement (using a mirror). Although I still have much to learn, this routine has helped to play loud and without pain. my teacher, mike spiro, is real picky about these things.
CongaCaja

Postby muddy323 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:04 pm

I think Im too slap happy and i only feel the fire after i stop playing. My hands are blood red, after these coffee house jazz session with no mic's...When my drums are mic'd with neo-soul , latin jazz crews or pratice session, I dont have this problem.
muddy323

Postby Simon B » Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:44 pm

Sounds like you already moisturise BEFORE the gig - if not this is invaluable. I have sympathy for you for playing in sessions with no mike - I used to do this a lot and it kills your hands as you desparately try to compete with electrified instruments. Solution? Buy your own mike!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Tonio » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:17 pm

CongaCaja wrote:I think the best hand care would be to focus on the technique aspect. my teacher has instilled in me the concept that "if a stroke hurts then it probably wrong" ( assuming that one is in good health, etc. ) When I began with my teacher I spent two months doing nothing other than working on stroke technique. Still, at the beginning of very practice session, I do simple warm ups while focusing on technique maintenance and improvement (using a mirror). Although I still have much to learn, this routine has helped to play loud and without pain. my teacher, mike spiro, is real picky about these things.

Congacaja,
You've got a good teacher! I was able to jam with him, when I was learning bata.
T
Tonio

Postby Tonio » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:22 pm

There ya go , get a microphone and pa if necessary.
It sbetter than killing your hands.
But I know how it is, even when you do have mics, playing in band makes you play harder through excitement etc. Notice the diference from whn you practicing at home ?
Try to find a volume level in the middle to keep your hands on good order, and it should help in constistancy. If you hit harder, IMO you would make yourself play in a different way
and not in your best possible perfomance.

T
Tonio

Return to Open Discussion