Poncho Sanchez Live - ... great show ...

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Doug2 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:04 pm

...just a mention for you Bay Area types...Poncho is playing in Vallejo at the Jazz Fest there on the 23rd...go see him and the band live, and create your own opinion...I've seen him half a dozen times over the years, and always find the shows FUN!

An Obvious Fan
Doug2

Postby muddy323 » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:05 pm

As a consumer of CD's, DVD's, videos, congas,bongos. I must say,El Conguero (Poncho) is still and allways will be judged by his body of work, which is very impressive. That why I buy his product, this is the same for Elrey,Celia,Mongo,Tjader,Jerry Gonzales....ITS THERE BODY OF WORK that will separate them from the rest....I got fired from a band in Compton,Ca, they didnt call me. I show up at the club and someone else was playing. You talk about ungrateful
muddy323

Postby rumba man » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:28 pm

This is my first time on . I feel this is a great place to talk about what we love to do and that's playing music and enjoying music. We all have our opinions about different issues and we should be able to talk about them . I personaly like poncho . I have been taking lessons for about two years . I love to play different types of rythums and music . I personaly like poncho's style of playing ,but i also liked yours . My instructor is to me one of the best . I have learned his style , but i still do'nt limit myself to it . Hey lets accept the mans appology . Everyone talks out'a his butt some time or another .
rumba man

Postby Tonio » Fri Oct 10, 2003 10:06 pm

Ouch,
To my fortune to see this old thread, but maybe not anyone else's.

I have heard about this-especially the Banda brothers .
IMO it is not cool to fire by phone. But each his own. I will still by Poncho's Cd's and will soon get some of Johnny's too.

Johnny- got any listings of your material? I would love to check them out, since I'm a newbie here in this forum I have not gotten many mention of your recordings...

Thanks !!

p.s. Johnny is the moderator, I think he can say anything he wants...
Tonio

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:12 am

Tonio...first i am not THEE moderator, just on the team. Second if you would like to hear a sample of my first CD goto
http://www.showgigs.com/index.html and go into Audio. I have 3 tunes there. Plus you can check out my history-Bio/Artists.
Thanks for inquiring.....At your Service..JC JOHNNY CONGA...
JohnnyConga

Postby whammy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:05 am

Peace drummers.

All I know is music is not about competition anyway. I being a beginner conguero may do something Johnny or Poncho never thought of (although it's not very likely - I have listened to both players and their technique is amazing).

But music is all individual feeling, in the guitar world I have seen the most technically amazing players (i.e. Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Al DiMeola (who by the way had another amazing Conguero in "Mingo Lewis" formerly of Santana)) go largely unnoticed except for the guitar playing community and music aficionados, because their music was too advanced for the "average person" to appreciate.

Any ideas of "battles" or challenges regarding music is total nonsense. Music is unique to the individual, and it's all about creativity. I bet that everyone here can play something that would be very difficult for everyone else (even if it's on another instrument!), since it's the individual's unique style.

The bottom line is, if people like your music, GREAT! If not, then don't stop playing... if you like playing it, chances are there are others that will too.

As far as the thread goes, Johnny was out of line and has apologized - end of story. I'm still going to try to learn from his recordings and advice, AND Poncho's recordings and instructional books/cds/videos. I'm sure neither one will hurt my playing at all!!!
whammy

Postby whammy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:32 am

P.S. From my limited understanding of Spanish, I assume a female conga player would be a "Conguera"? :P

I saw a chick play here that wasn't too bad. :cool:
whammy

Postby whammy » Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:47 am

I hope those last two posts get people off of the topic of what someone did wrong, or someone else did wrong.

Let's PLAY SOME MUSIC!

:)
whammy

Previous

Return to Open Discussion