Poncho Sanchez Live - ... great show ...

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby CongaMan » Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:04 pm

Hi there,
this is a pic I took few minutes ago from the "Blue Note" in Milan... it's the first time i see Poncho live and I really enjoyed the show...

Bye

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... age_23.JPG
CongaMan
Site Admin

Postby muddy323 » Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:55 am

Im one of the lucky people who live in Los Angeles and El Conguero owns this town...What did you think of that fat sound and tight band?....Poncho is my favorite teacher here in L.A....i have so much from him...I follow him around town like a puppy, parks,clubs,Hollywood Bowl...He was in rare form at the Playboy Jazz Festival...i will try and post some pix's later.
muddy323

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:40 pm

I am still pissed at Poncho for what he did to his musicians after 22 years. I was never impressed with Poncho"mongo clone". I am sorry I feel this way but Poncho brought it upon himself. Plus he ain't doing anything that hasn't been done already by Mongo. He is what I call a good imitation, I will leave it at that. I have known Poncho since 76 and he still is playing the same way. At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby Simon B » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:14 pm

What did Poncho do to his musicians, Johnny?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby muddy323 » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:29 pm

Poncho dont change very much...a good song goes a long way...Poncho was baptize by Mongo...but he's not Mongo...I would like to know how he treat his musician that been with him for decades
muddy323

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:42 pm

Basically he Fired them all by telephone,without notice or anything and hired all these young cats who don't know any better and work for a lot less money than his band did. He fired the Banda bros,can you imagine that??? after 22 years that is what you do to the guys that help make you? the guys that got you a Latin Grammy. Is that how you treat your musicians? I would never have done that.Even if the record company told me too. Integrity and Loyalty is two things I believe in. Poncho was never baptized by Mongo, if anybody was I was and a whole bunch of other Mongoites in New York City where I grew up with Mongo. He was fortunate to have a career because when he was with Cal Tjader and Tjader died while on the road in the Phillapines, the record company had a hole to fill and they filled it with Poncho, and that is the truth. I have said enough about the brother....Peace and Congas.....BTW check me out at http://www.showgigs.com/johnnyconga/index.html Listen to my version of Siempre me va bien and tell me if mine isn't a killer!....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby muddy323 » Tue Jul 15, 2003 4:30 pm

I just seen one of the Banda Bros (bass),David Torres (piano),Francisco Torres (trombone),Sal Cracchiolo (trumpet) with Poncho at the Playboy Jazz Festival in June 2003...Yes there is a new guitar/bongo player...This is the same crew with very little changes,this crew still sounds very good...Concord Records is lucky, Poncho is a great unfortunate replacement for Cal Tjader, cause the tradition continues...HARD LATIN
muddy323

Postby poncho » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:12 pm

Someone told me about what is going on here. It is sad how Johnny totally ignores someones feelings about how much he enjoys the music and turns the topic into attacking me.

If you were only worthy of me getting angry, Johnny, but I will not. You are basically someone that knows everybody but is a nobody himself. It is obvious that all you have left is to sit in your pathetic keyboard giving advice and promoting yourself.
poncho

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:45 am

Well well well...I finally got to ya huh.
Well I"m just saying what a lot of people won't say that is all. I still have respect for you as a drummer but not as a business man,. Also you know nothing about me and what I am doing with my life. I am somebody you will never even get close to ever or could even compete with.I challenge you to a conga duel any day, my brother....name the place and time. Why get angry it serves no purpose for you,right. If i choose to be upset with anybody that is my perogative, If I choose to speak my mind on things that bother me I will respond. Would you repeat here what Papo told you on the phone when u fired him?? I believe not. You wouldn't want to spoil your image now would you. Be for real brother that's all I'm saying and have just as much respect for your fellow musicians cause you wouldn't be anywhere without them.....Peace and Congas...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby CongaCaja » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:35 am

Yes, I think "Peace" is the key word of your sign off Johnny.

My opinion is if in fact that was truely Poncho that posted on this board (really, who knows?) then perhaps his unkind comment to you (that you are a "nobody") should *NOT* have been graced with a testosterone-loaded challege. I think that was not the most "peace"-ful thing to do.

Johnny, I, like many others that use this board, really do appreciate your insights into the music, the history, the people and the business. And, if I haven't said it directly before, I will now: "MANY THANKS!". Your initial statements about Poncho's business practices fall in to the category of insight and opinion (both of which are perfectly great) but the last post...well...maybe not. I just don't think the direct flaming is a good example for the more impressionable board participants.

Just an opinion.

chris

Edited By CongaCaja on July 17 2003 at 06:42
CongaCaja

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:27 pm

Hello everyone...I will not disgrace this forum. I will apologize to anyone that has been offended by my remarks, but I will not take my words back. I am a man of truth and objectivity,being from "DA Bronx",we don't mince words. I have nothing furthur to say on the matter,NEXT!....I have emptied my testosterone bottle it is now on empty....once again with Peace and Congas...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;) PS...Thank you Chris.....
JohnnyConga

Postby muddy323 » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:07 pm

EL CONGUERO....OYE QUE BUENO
we still respect your opinion JohnnyConga.
But Poncho Latin Band has and still provide me with the music i like to listen to in Los Angeles....HARD LATIN

Edited By muddy323 on July 17 2003 at 22:16
muddy323

Postby rhythmisit » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:59 pm

Johny & Poncho you are both great musicians. I have almost all CDs of Poncho and I own Remo signature congas and Johny you play great too, I heard all the numbers on your site. Besides all, Johny you have always been a good source of information for all of us for equipment or playing styles, tuning etc, like a good teacher. I admire your quality. This board is the only one that I have found that is clean and purely educational with a wealth of information and a place to exchange valuable information, thanks for keeping it alive. I may know Poncho thru his music but we all know Johny from day to day chats like a brother. Peace. :)
rhythmisit

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Jul 18, 2003 1:18 am

THIS IS A GREAT FORUM!...It is the fact that we can share and experience each other thru this forum. I for one will always have the mission of "sharing" with those who have the "need" to know and willing to listen. I am hot headed at times I will admit,but I can't help that I'm Cuban/Italian too HOT HOT HOT! and sometimes it gets the best of me. I will continue my position on this forum for all who are interested. I too must admit I have 2 Poncho albums but I didn't buy them they were given to me. More power to him!...More power to all of us and our Drum Brothers :D ..always with Peace and a little controversia.....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby KingKongas » Fri Jul 18, 2003 3:03 am

What is going on here??? Johnny... for all your "so called" experience you are such an "IDIOTA"!!! How could you call yourself "bautizado por Mongo" and still spew that "mierda" upon this forum?!?!?! I have NEVER heard of such B-S from any established conguero. As great as Mongo was, he would NEVER stoop so low!

I AM FROM "da Bronx" too and let me tell you that you your diatribe is no where I'd thought you should be. Don't let all of you out there think for a minute that JC talks for all of us Bronxites!!! Let this forum know that there are many of us drummers out there who would love to be like either of you. I mean come on... calling out Pancho on this forum???

From another bronxite to... YOU PERSONALLY... "ERES UN COMEMIERDA"!!! I for one cannot accept this assinine treatment of an established conguero!!!

Any of you out there worth your "cueros" should be outraged by this B-S!!!

The difference between you and every one else is CLASS! Get some REAL quick my brother... by the way... none of my friends ever heard of your "ASS"............
KingKongas

Next

Return to Open Discussion