Back from Cuba - Photos from recent trip

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:11 am

Though I must say that traveling in Cuba is not easy for a first time visitor like myself, the musical experiences can definitely make it all worth it.

For example, I had the opportunity to see Afro Cuba de Matanzas and Los Munequitos de Matanzas during the Festival del Tambor in Havana.

I took a few lessons with Raul Gonzalez Brito aka "Lali"
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph....son.jpg

Lali, family and Chuck Silverman
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph....ily.jpg

Forkloric groups play regularly at the Casa del Estudiante in Santiago de Cuba (far south east of the island).
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph....nte.jpg

Generally, the drumming experiences were a reaffirmation of the teachings Mike Spiro (in other words, he's teaching me the right things, but I just need to practice a lot more!). Also, I must say that I was quite surprised how many people down there knew him.

cjk

Edited By CongaCaja on 1072671794
CongaCaja

Postby stlouieray » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:34 am

Thanks for sharing the photos. That's one place I'd love to go, but I don't know much about the feasibility for travelling there.

How did you manage to go there?, or anyone, for that matter.
stlouieray

Postby CongaCaja » Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:17 pm

That's a good question. How does one travel to Cuba? From your user name, I am assuming that you are a U.S. resident or citizen (as I am). If you were from any other country, it wouldn't be so difficult. What I will tell you below applies to U.S. residents and/or citizens.

The U.S. laws/regulations do NOT say that one cannot travel to Cuba. They actually say that one cannot spend money there. This includes spending money on flights, hotels, etc. There are exceptions if you were born there, have family there, are a news reporter or have official government business. Additionally, there were exceptions for licensed cultural exchange groups (see http://www.chucksilverman.com for examples of past trips), however the Bush administration says they are going to put a stop to that. The current crackdown has a lot to do with upcoming 2004 presidential election politics that I won't go into right now.

http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/eotffc/ofac/sanctions/t11cuba.pdf

The penalties for breaking the rules and/or lying to INS or Customs officials are usually hefty fines (thousands of $$$).

Despite these restrictions, many americans (tens of thousands) go there each year. How? Most of them go through a 3rd country such as Canada, Mexico or Bahamas. Upon returning, they generally lie to the INS and Customs agents (which is illegal and punishable by a big fine) when they are asked directly. Agents are asking more questions in recent months because of the previously mentioned "crackdown". If you choose to do this, you better NOT have ANYTHING in your bags that might suggest that you've been to Cuba. If they are suspicious, the Customs agents WILL search everything including your dirty laundry.

As for me, I did not lie to INS or Customs. I told them where I had been, but I told them that my travel was legal according to a certain lesser known aspect of the regulations called "Fully Hosted Travel". This was only possible because I had some prior arrangements with foreign company that offered to pay for my travel and I was traveling with a non-U.S. citizen who could legally pick up all my expenses. Nevertheless, they gave me a *LOT* of hassle. The agents said they would allow me to leave but would report the incident to the "main office" and that the possibility for future problems persists. I think they were just trying to scare me, but who knows.

Btw, it seems (based on my experience and talking to others) that there is a difference between INS and Customs agents of different airports. Generally, a politically conservative geographic region (such as Houston) will cause give a traveler more hassle than say more politically liberal place such as San Francisco.

Generally, it seems that it will be risky to travel there until either there is change in president or the congress votes with 2/3 majority to overrule a presidential veto (it was close to that in their most recent vote) or perhaps when Castro dies. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby jdmanteca » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:53 pm

CongaCaja,

I was also in Cuba on Chucks latest excursion, however, I went 2nd week only. I don't recognize you by this name though. I am the "John" from Texas. Were you there in the 2nd week?
jdmanteca

Postby CongaCaja » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:42 pm

Hi John,

We probably overlapped during our time in Havana but we probably haven't met. I was not part of the official trip that Chuck was accompanying. By the time that I called, the official group was full. That's why I had to make plans for a "fully hosted" trip which is a lot more hassle and is more risky in terms of U.S Customs problems. The trips that Chuck goes on are licensed by a tour company prior to departure.

I would have liked participating in some of the activities of your group (such as the trip over to Matanzas) but I was too late in committing to the trip and I had to balance to musical activities with those that would interest my German friend (who is not a musician). I met up with Chuck at the hotel vedado on a few occasions to get contact info re: Lali, the drum fesitival and other teachers.

btw,I learned a lot about the way that Cuba functions during this trip and I would do some things differently upon visit....whenever that is.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby Tonio » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:28 pm

Glad to hear about your trip to Cuba CC!!
I'm sure you picked up some performance goodies
Happy New Year
T
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:36 pm

I could only add that the next time try to make an effort to come to Houston,Texas,and check out what we are doing over here in terms of Advanced Percussion.Happy New Year.
zaragemca

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:25 am

hi zaragemca,

I'm sorry...did I miss something? What relation does the "Advanced Percussion" of Houston have to this topic? Neither is it clear who is the "we" of Houston.

cjk
CongaCaja

Postby jdmanteca » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:36 pm

Conga Caja,

Sorry I missed you in Cuba but it sounds like that despite the hassles, you got what you were looking for. Lali is such a good teacher and person. My trip was an incredible experience and I hope to do it again very soon. Although the licensed trip was with less hassle it did cost a little more. I think it could be done without the "license" for much cheaper, but the peace of mind was worth it for me.

JD
jdmanteca

Postby CongaCaja » Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:23 am

JD,

Yeah, I don't blame you for going the "peace of mind" route. As for me, I'm not sure I'd do it again the un-licensed way, that is, unless there's a change in the political atmosphere. The customs agents were quite a pain. Either way, I think we both got some unique experiences.

all the best... cjk
CongaCaja

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:11 pm

CongaCaja,'we',is in reference to International Club of Percussionists,and what we are doing is conducting training for all Cuban percussion,Caribbean,African,and Brazilian Music,with the last stage of training focusing in soloing.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Open Discussion