Conguero, Congasero, or Congalero?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Simon B » Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:55 pm

I don't speak Spanish, but I noticed a music magazine refer not to a 'conguero' (which I had assumed to be the more standard word?) but to a 'congalero'. Is 'congalero' a type-error or a perfectly acceptable name? What about 'congasero' following the 'bongosero' model? What grammatical rules govern this sort of thing?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:57 am

Hello Simon...in spanish it's conguero,in english congero,congalero I believe is a a made up word coming from bongosero. Conga drummer is the proper term or 'hand percussionist" is the other. Hope this helps. I hold no degree in grammer....smile..... ;) At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
JohnnyConga

Postby sticksnhands » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:28 pm

Hey,what if the conga drummer is a woman...is congera/congalera/congasera acceptable? :)
Lost Marbles
sticksnhands

Postby El Sacerdote de la Rumba » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:11 pm

Actually, "conguero" is a Spanglish word. The word to describe a tumbadora player is "tumbador." Conga is really a musical genre which was danced during carnaval times in La Habana and Santiago de Cuba. Even the Conga dancers and percussionists are not called "congueros" I guess the word was made up by NewYorkricans back in the days of Latin Jazz, Mambo and Guaracha in NYC, when the Cuban tumbadores like Mongo, Chano, Armando and others came to play with the great Puerto Rican musicians of the era. :)
El Sacerdote de la Rumba

Postby El Sacerdote de la Rumba » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:18 pm

"Tumbadora" is the real name for the percussive instrument you may know as conga. Sorry, my female friends, this was all much a men's world and there is not a word to describe a female tumbadora player, except for "tumbadorista" o "tamborera." Also "una percusionista" is acceptable as well.
(with all due respect to all the female percussionists in the World) ;)
El Sacerdote de la Rumba

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:40 pm

I'm sorry that i did see this post late,the word Congero,come from 'Conga',which is the name of the rhythms played a the Cuban Carnival,also becouse the original drum resembling the actual'Tumbadora',comes from Congo(africa).My WebpageInternational Club of Percussionists

Edited By zaragemca on 1073507290
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Open Discussion