What would you do next? - Learned the basic,now what??

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby DeBastos26 » Tue Oct 21, 2003 6:18 pm

Hello guys,
I bought a video(The Essence of playing congas) which taught be the basics. I learned how to play the rumba, cha-cha-cha,bolero,and mambo. I need to challenge my primitive skills but don't know what approach I should take. Should I purchase a Giovanni video which I heard is very challenging. Is there a website with more rhythms??
What have u done in the past?

Gracias!
DeBastos26

Postby Raymond » Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:30 pm

Debastos26,

My recommendation: now that you have some basics, practice and develop the basics and its variations. Don't get bury in techniques only. The best is to play out there. If not, records will do. Continue to pursue the techniques and learn more rhythms, which is great, but get some "street" on what you have mastered so far. Go and watch others. I think is time to have some fun together with keeping up with techniques.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby KEEP LEARNING » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:20 am

Evolution Of The Tumbadores by Changuito with Giovanni is the influential in the development of my style of play. The history of a Tumbadore, the how to develope speed and heel toe exercise was very valuable in my delopment. The exercise on time signature changes was very positive stuff. Plus he is right handed, which made easier to follow and understand than Giovanni video, cause he is left handed. I had watch Giovanni video thru a mirror to understand what his instructions were. Evolution Of The Tumbadore is the video that most influenced my sound. I still watch this video. This was the best teacher i have had thru video's or group lessons. I would like to know the CongaBoard favorites.
KEEP LEARNING

Postby rumbaman » Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:24 pm

My experience with videos has been good ,but nothing beats a private instructor . I first tried the videos but i was'nt applying proper technique . I ended up hurting my hands because of wrong placement . I've had an instructor for about 2 years now and i think its the best way to go if you realy enjoy playing . You may think your doing things right but there maybe suttle sounds and maneuvers you may miss and it will never sound the same . Good luck and health keep practicing .
rumbaman

Postby zaragemca » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:30 pm

I do Agree with Rumbaman,I 've been teaching Advanced Percussion Structures for 7 years now(15 years total teaching),and what I have to deal the most is with technique foundation and coordination of the upper limbs(arms),which hamper the advancing to the next stage,domination of syncopation,contra-syncopation,and solos.(International Club of Percussionists).

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 06 2003 at 23:31
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby mangorockfish » Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:29 pm

Where can I get a copy of Evolution of The Tumbadores?
mangorockfish

Return to Open Discussion