does size really matter?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby billybenbob » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:47 pm

I've had 2 lessons so far and am having difficulty mastering the slap.
I have quite large hands, and my instructor is wondering if this may be part of the problem.
Does anyone have any input on this?
Thanks,
billybenbob
The joy is in the journey
billybenbob

Postby gilbert » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:05 pm

actually i have very large hands it took me a while to master my slap but now everything is ok
i dont think large hands are a problem but it might take more time than expected to master your strokes
gilbert

Postby Simon B » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:37 pm

I have large hands but over the years have built up strong slaps. Certainly while many famous congueros have had smaller hands (e.g. Giovanni, Mongo), there are others who have not (e.g. Don Alias).

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:31 pm

I have large hands too! It took me awhile to "master" my slap. In my experience, withouth sacrifying technique, you have to "play with it." until you develop your hands and then you will find it. How "crisp" you want to slap will determine how much you will want to go for it. (In my case, I wanted "Jimmy Morales/Giovanni Hidalgo" slaps and eventually I developed calluses in my two middle fingers that never go away and tend to be my "achilees tendon." in gigs. Nevertheless, I am proud of it.....).

Assuming you are following the correct technique, that I assume your teacher is taking care of that, you have to work on your "wrist power". Some people try to overdoit with the whole arm. I recommend to develop that wrist power with the slight use of your middle arm without overdoing and you will build up power of the wrist and hand to get your slap.

Find your "head tuning" too. I think is very important.
Eventually, you will get your slap on any type of tuning. Having a tuning that is friendly to you, withough sacrifying sound, will motivate you to keep on going. Not necessary but use natural heads....they tend to help you develop.

Recommendation: work on your slap while doing the full pattern on the quinto/conga. No pain, no gain applies here!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1074523063
Raymond

Return to Open Discussion