Oriental Percussions & Rythms

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby gilbert » Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:27 pm

hey guys
i'm new here, i play oriental percussion instruments i've been playing since 1993 i turned into conga 3 years ago
i need all the help possible(songs,Videos,rythms) because here in my country we dont have any congueros we're just 4
players.so if anyone can give me usefull websites to videos and books i'll be gratefull
by the way if anyone wants to learn oriental instruments i can help him alot
10ks
gilbert

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:29 pm

gilbert wrote:hey guys
i'm new here, i play oriental percussion instruments i've been playing since 1993 i turned into conga 3 years ago
i need all the help possible(songs,Videos,rythms) because here in my country we dont have any congueros we're just 4
players.so if anyone can give me usefull websites to videos and books i'll be gratefull
by the way if anyone wants to learn oriental instruments i can help him alot
10ks

Hi, Welcome aboard Gilbert! You can start by checking out the stuff posted on this site, lots of information. HAppy Drumming :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:33 pm

WELCOME.....Hello Gilbert....where are you in the world? What are the names of the "oriental" percussion that you play? what is your background? ...At your Service.. JC JOHNNY CONGA.... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby gilbert » Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:53 pm

well actually i live in lebanon i play Tabla(daraboukka) ,Daff Or Riq ....and all arabic instruments i studied in the national conservatory for 10 years
by the i was wondering if any instructionel videoof conga is available to view on the net in any website because we cant ship them to our country
gilbert

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Nov 24, 2003 3:45 pm

Hi Gilbert....isn't Darboukka a middle eastern instrument? why do you call it "oriental" I find it interesting. I am familiar with some oriental drums but I don't believe a Darboukka is one of them. How is Lebanon these days?....Peace...JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby gilbert » Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:44 pm

lebanon is ok so much peace these days :p
actually Darbouka is one of the basic instruments in the oriental world(which is a very large world)
gilbert

Postby zaragemca » Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:50 pm

Jonny,the situation is that in the 'Oriental'-category of instruments and music some of them have been assimilated through religious integration,of the Buddhish,Taosian,Muslin,African,cultures which have been taking place through several centuries.To Gilbert welcome to the congas' world.(those instrumentos which Gilbert mentioned are part of my advanced percussion instruction).

Edited By zaragemca on Nov. 29 2003 at 14:56
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby gilbert » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:59 pm

zaragemca wrote:Jonny,the situation is that in the 'Oriental'-category of instruments and music some of them have been assimilated through religious integration,of the Buddhish,Taosian,Muslin,African,cultures which have been taking place through several centuries.To Gilbert welcome to the congas' world.(those instrumentos which Gilbert mentioned are part of my advanced percussion instruction).

zaragemca
if u want anyhelp in your oriental advanced percussion instruction(Books,mp3's,instruments)
just contact me
by the way does anyone know a website to watch conga videos or something like that ?
gilbert

Postby rhythmisit » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:13 pm

You may want to try out congahead.com, there are some videaos there from various artists, also look at lpmusic.com and drumrhythms.com - not a whole lot of instructions but you may find some links which may publish some conga tablature for practice.
rhythmisit

Postby zaragemca » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:36 pm

Gilbert,it took me some time to get in to the forum(I was anable to do it through the computer I was using,ok I would keep you in the 'roster' for any future project.
zaragemca

Postby whammy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:22 am

Man, I would love to jam with someone that is using "tablas", etc. I just love any kind of mix of non-contemporary instruments, especially those from diverse cultures.

I'm currently working on some songs that use Baroque English Recorders, Tumbadores, and guitar... :)

If anyone else has a BOSS BR-864, let me know I will send you song files and you record whatever tracks you want, and send them back.

Technology is great!!!
whammy

Postby yoni » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:05 am

Hi all!

Welcome to the forum, Gilbert and Whammy. Gilbert, if you type 'darbuka' into a search engine it will give you several sites related to the instrument, a couple of them involve Lebanese players, if I remember right. Darbuka and dahola (bass darbuka) are my main instruments these days, though I'll always love playing congas, too. Here in Israel I met a couple of amazing darbuka players from Turkey, Ahmed and Levant Misirli. Ever hear of them, Gilbert?
I was also first thrown by the word 'oriental' when applied to Mid East percussion, then realized that the word 'oriental' can mean anything in the Eastern hemisphere, while 'occidental' can mean anything in the Western.

Peace,
yoni
yoni

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:05 pm

I undertand you point Yoni, not only that,but the situation that the same instrument could have differents name at differents Countries(to add confusion) :;):
zaragemca

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:21 am

Hi zaragemca,

Yeah, words can be more confusing than music. Depending where one is in the Mid East, the darbuka is also known as the doumbek, some even call it "tabla" here, and there are probably more names for it that I don't know.
Funny, Africa is in the Eastern hemisphere but I never thought of African music as being "oriental". Oh well, just words...
yoni

Postby gilbert » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:32 pm

hi yoni ,nice to meet a neighber if u have a messenger my mail is (gilbertmansour1@hotmail.com) u can add me
well in lebanon we call it tabla and derbaka(its strange that we dont use the word darbouka)
and in egypt its tabla
gilbert

Next

Return to Open Discussion