Who was the Godfather of Latin-Jazz

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby zaragemca » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:11 pm

Who hold both titles, the Godfather of Latin-Jazz and the best friend of Dizzy Guillespie.

Edited By zaragemca on 1073938342
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Jingobosh » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:26 pm

Chazo Pozo
Jingobosh

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:44 am

Jingo wins! Ding, Ding, Ding.....
RayBoogie

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:20 am

Actually some would say it was Mario Bauza who is considered the "Godfather" of Latin Jazz music. He was the one that turned Dizzy onto Latin rhythms and Cuban music. Hey guys I'm finally back online after a "worm" got into my puter and wiped it out... Happy New Year to all....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby zaragemca » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:11 pm

Johnny you neiled down.First Mario Bauza,did try to get the young Dizzy in to Chick Webb Band(where Bauza was music director),but for some reasons,he wasn't able to do it.then he(Bauza) was able to get Dizzy in to Cab Calloway(also Bauza working as music director),then bringing him(Dizzy) in to Machito Band(by the way Bauza also was the one who brought the youngs Tito Puente,and Tito Rodrigues in to Machito Band).When Arsenio Rodriguez brought Chano Pozo to the U.S. to play in his Band(even when he didn't have to do it),Bauza introduced him(Pozo) to Dizzy and was the center piece in the arrengement of the historics recording of Cuba Bep,Cuba Bop,Tin Tin Deo,Manteca,etc(since Chano didn't speak English).Also doing several musical arrengements for Dizzy.

Edited By zaragemca on 1074018076
zaragemca

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:38 am

Another question going off the topic. As I understand, Chano Pozo was a really good conguero. If you were to give a description of his style of playing, what conguero now a days would you describe him as? ???
RayBoogie

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:21 pm

this turned out to be an interesting question,Chano Pozo was a Comparsa player(Carnival),the close people to him at that time were Candido Camero and the young Mongo Santamaria,but I would be the first one to point out that the Conga technique heve been up graded since,from one Conga to multiple set up and also the hand techniques.But Chano,beside being a great Congero was a good singer and composer.

Edited By zaragemca on 1074105027
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:06 pm

Back in the 60's one of my teachers George "Sabu" Caldwell III had 10 10 inch 331/3 records with Chano Pozo on them from the SMC label(Spanish Music Center) where Gabriel Oller had a one room "Demo" studio, where the Real Sabu, Noro Morales,Mongo's first demo-1952(which I have), recorded. Now what I heard on one of these records that George kept under lock and key in a metal container for them, was Chano singing and playing 4 congas at the same time. The closet to this style of playing today would Daniel Ponce(who doesn't sing or dance),Giovanni,the late great Lazaro Alfonso(Irakere). I know there are others in Cuba that can play like Chano , we just haven't heard them yet. ....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.....
Johnny Conga

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:06 pm

helo brother Johnny,my question is when it was recorded,how to know there were four differents Congas,also yes Tata Guines have been playing with 7 Congas,Pello el Afrocan,etc.The original Percussionists of Irakere was Carlos Valdez,when Paquito,and Arturo Sandoval were still in the Band.

Edited By zaragemca on 1074122322
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:12 am

It was only him and 4 congas in the studio, and you can hear/count the different tones, of the drums. I also have great ears.... :D Yes Tata had played up to 7 and I have seen others play up to 7 congas,I myself can play 5, but it's a lot of work for sure. Roberto Quintero plays 5, Anga plays 5, Gio plays as many as he wants,Viscaino plays 5....... :D, and there are others.....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA............
Johnny Conga

Postby RayBoogie » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:07 am

In http://www.congahead.com Giovanni plays 7 congas with timbales, bata drum and djembe in his "Symphony of Percussions" clip. Giovanni is awesome! I love to see him perform, but my favorite conguero in recent years is CHEMBO CORNIEL (nasty Mofo).
RayBoogie

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:49 pm

I'm with you brother Johnny,I have played 4 Congas several times when jamming at the Red Cat Jazz Cafe(there is not much space in the band-stand for more),I just wanted to know when the recording was done,by the way I have to take back a crossover of names which I did,(the original percussionists for Irakere was Oscar Valdes,and...Carlos del Puerto,the Bass Player.In relation to the Djembe I have incorporated the Djembe in to Guaguanco,Rumba,and Yoruba patterns since 1997,and a have a lot of witness,videos and pictures taken from me doing it when I've being performing with my Drumming Ensemble(International Club of Percussionsists).

Edited By zaragemca on 1074198423
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:26 pm

Si Oscar Valdes was an original member but Lazaro Alfonso was the first to play 5 congas with Irakere, back in the late 70's early 80's until he died.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:18 pm

Yes becouse Oscar Valdes,brought in the Bata to Irakere,but I never witnessed him playing with five Congas.

Edited By zaragemca on 1074198183
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:51 am

Yes Oscar played Bata, chekere,timbales and vocals with Irakere but the tumbadora was Lazaro Alfonso the first one to play 5 congas in Cuba, in an Afro-Cuban Jazz setting.....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Next

Return to Open Discussion