Who was the Godfather of Latin-Jazz

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:27 am

Hey Johnny Conga,

Don't know if they're considered godfathers of Latin Jazz, but have you heard of an old group called "Cuban Jam Session"? A timbale player I played with in the States, Johnny Ventura (not the singer), turned me on to their recordings, and those boys were baaad!

Edited By yoni on 1074238507
yoni

Postby Isaac » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:33 am

The Cuban Jam Session Recordings or "Descargas" are
several recordings that include a few groups:
Namely Cachao's group with Tata Guines on Tumbadoras,
Nino Rivera on Tres Guillermo Barreto on Timbales,
Yeyito Iglesias on Bongo, El Negro Vivar on trumpet
and Richard Egues on flute. They also released a few more.
I think Nino River did some on his own also.
The other "descarga" group was Julio Guttierez which
has Peruchin on piano, a few of the same horn players from
Cachao's Band, and Oscar Valdes on Bongo.
I think there's a Vol. 1, Vol 2. and another called
"Jam Session with Feeling" (Maype label)

ISAAC
NJ
Isaac

Postby Juzzi » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:32 am

Hello.
I'm new here. Your discussion about irakere etc. was interesting. I play a lot with Carlos Del Puerto nowadays and he's been playing old tapes of Irakere for me. There you can really hear Oscar playing the bata! You guys should get an album called "Jazz Bata". It's made by a group with Carlos Del Puerto, Chucho and Oscar. The percussion is very easy to listen on that one, because the group is only a trio.

-J
Juzzi

Postby martin » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:01 am

RayBoogie wrote:In http://www.congahead.com Giovanni plays 7 congas with timbales, bata drum and djembe in his "Symphony of Percussions" clip. Giovanni is awesome! I love to see him perform, but my favorite conguero in recent years is CHEMBO CORNIEL (nasty Mofo).

does anyone know the main conga rhythm used in the 'symphony of percussion' (after the timbales intro)?

martin
martin

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:42 pm

The "Cuban Jam Sessions" series came out in the mid 50's. I have volumes 1 and 2. Peruchin-Papin-Tata-Nino Rivera and others. Then u have the Cuban Jam sessions with Cachao y su Grupo- with Tata-Yeyo-El Negro Vivar-Guillermo Barretto and others. There have been many releases of "Cuban Jam Sessions" over the yers ,these are the most classic....At your Service.....JC JOHNNY CONGA :D
Johnny Conga

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:59 pm

Thanks for elaborating on Cuban Jam Session!
yoni

Postby zaragemca » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:33 pm

You rigth on that one Johnny,just to throw in that the initial name was 'Descarga',(since jam is an U.S.'s term with was added whem more familiarity with what was going on in U.S.It came out to be a pretty good topic,brothers

Edited By zaragemca on 1074281911
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:38 am

JC,
Lazaro Alfonso- are you refering to "El Nino" ?
He died?
Tonio

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:55 am

Hi Martin, I believe the rhythm that Gio is playing is a guaguanco, I'm not too sure.
RayBoogie

Postby martin » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:46 pm

RayBoogie wrote:Hi Martin, I believe the rhythm that Gio is playing is a guaguanco, I'm not too sure.

i thought so at first but It is definitely not a guaguanco. It doesn't have the characteristic salidor open tones.

thanks anyway
martin
martin

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:56 pm

Hello Tonio...yes "El Nino" passed away some years ago. The story is he got drunk on his birthday and set himself on fire. That is what I know. I also worked with his brother Lazaro in Miami, who was "the" original player for Irakere before his younger brother joined the group. .....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby Juzzi » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:06 pm

Hello JC.
I've heard many stories about El Nino's death. My good friend told me that he had something very strange going on before his unfortunate death. He acted weird and was very quiet for a long time...

-J
Juzzi

Previous

Return to Open Discussion