Happy Hands - Newbie

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby billybenbob » Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:00 pm

I finally bought myself a set of congas. I've only wanted them for about 30 years. I got the wooden LP Aspires. Although I've played drums all my life, I am a beginner here. Next Tuesday I start lessons at my local music store. I'm really quite excited about all of this.
The joy is in the journey
billybenbob

Postby whammy » Fri Jan 02, 2004 2:11 pm

Same here! I'm 33, have wanted congas since I was about 3 or 4... and I got some a couple of days ago. Alas, I didn't get the wooden aspires, I got the 4010 fiberglass Toca's... but they sound pretty good to me. :)

I ordered three instructional books, but I couldn't wait to start playing them, so I've learned some basic techniques here and there (bass, pop, and slap) and can't stop playing them.

Sounds OK already (probably since I've been playing guitar for 16 years and play several other instruments)... but I really can't wait until my books/cd's get here so I can learn proper technique, commonly used patterns, etc.!

:)

Good luck and happy drumming!

Edited By whammy on 1073052734
whammy

Postby windhorse » Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:07 am

Haha, I guess this the conguero's confessional!
Me too! Just started playing about a year ago, and got the first set of four congas about 7 months ago.
Thoroughly enjoying every minute of practice and playing Rumbas with friends on Tues. Thurs. and Saturdays!

:;):
windhorse

Postby whammy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:41 am

That kind of frequent practice (especially with live musicians) can only lead to good results!

I wish you the best of luck my friend. Keep the rhythm alive! :)

P.S. I can relate with Billy Bob... I've been playing guitar for 17 years, and several other instruments off and on in that time (including drums, but I'm not a GREAT drummer, since I don't have a set to practice on... yet).

I'm currently recording music that's a little different... ?!? recorder melodies with conga beats and guitar rhythm. Maybe think Irish Jig combined with classical chord progressions and latin beats? I'm not too sure of it myself but it's fun to mess with. :)

Regardless... the title of this thread is absolutely appropriate. I have "happy hands". May all of you have happy hands, always!

Edited By whammy on 1073353616
whammy

Postby stlouieray » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:53 am

:cool: Hey, that's cool guys - to all of you beginners. I hope that you all have many great days of practicing, and jammin' on your Congas.

My background is a little different, that most of you described, but certainly a combination of some of your experiences. I started out as a drummer, at age 9, or 10. Then, at 16 went to Congas. I played until I was about 24 then, joined the Corp. world, after college, and never touched em again, until 3 years ago, when I returned to music.

As I started back playing, I took a very calculating approach to beginning again, and I set-out to re-train myself, starting from scratch. I practice long & hard, and work on my timing, technique, and try to look at all types of styles.

Three years later, I'm still at it and always trying to improve. Good luck to each and everyone of you.

Ray

P.S. When I took up playing again, I purchased 3 Aspires, along with Bongos. Today, I have 3 Giovanni Galaxy's, along with their matching Bongos - and love it.
stlouieray

Postby whammy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:56 am

Wow... believe me when I say I'm still studying the afro-cuban rhythms, but what I've been hearing in Indian music with tablas has definitely expanded (although in most cases it's very similar!) on what I'm playing.

Those guys know how to improvise on drums.
whammy

Postby stlouieray » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:11 pm

:;):

Whammy, let me know what info you may have regarding other styles. I'm into style awareness.

Thanks Bud,

'Ray
stlouieray

Postby whammy » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:22 am

Well if you can find it get "tala-tabla tarang" by Ravi Shankar...

Pretty impressive stuff. :) Actually a lot of the stuff I've found that is similar is pretty impressive as well.
whammy

Return to Open Discussion