Dynamics

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby zaragemca » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:40 pm

This is a subject which I have posted in other forums,and I'm bringing the subject to the brothers of this forum.Dynamics have been used for ancient Civilizations to convey the musical message(even when not using the name dynamics).In Symphonic Music,the composers have to manipulate all aspects of the music for the projection of their feeling,(becouse the lack of lyrics).But beside the volume(how soft,or loud the music could be played),dynamics involves been soft,but firm,how fast,how many times the musical phrase is going to be repeated to reinforce the message,what instrument(s) could be used to deliver the message,the interaction between the instruments,the interaction between the instruments and the singer,what effect is going to be used,not necessarilly electronic,but the effect in playing the instrument itself,the configuration of the musical phrase which is going to deliver the message,etc.In the music field now,we have the lyrics,which are in charge of delivering the message,but some Bands(not all of them!),don't get the capitalization in the resources which music could provide to the lyrics in facilitating the connection which the musicians are trying to establish with the listeners(crowd).All yours Gerry Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1074971040
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:20 pm

Dynamic and "chemistry" is very important. Is like other matters you have brought that we sort of take it for granted or do it naturally. Nevertheless, any musician who takes himself seriously has to be aware and be with the concept.

In the tropical genres, salsa, etc, that is very important because you have more than one drummer. We all have to have the chemistry and the dynamics with the entire group. It becomes very challenging because you have to be with the diifferent groups, percussionists, the rhythm section as a whole, that includes the piano and bassist, and the horn section.

Very important. Some people wonder why they do not get called back or are not called by some specific people to play, or are called by others more frequently....It is your chemistry with the players and is all in the dynamics on the way you play in an ensemble.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby RitmoBoricua » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:16 pm

Raymond wrote:Dynamic and "chemistry" is very important. Is like other matters you have brought that we sort of take it for granted or do it naturally. Nevertheless, any musician who takes himself seriously has to be aware and be with the concept.

In the tropical genres, salsa, etc, that is very important because you have more than one drummer. We all have to have the chemistry and the dynamics with the entire group. It becomes very challenging because you have to be with the diifferent groups, percussionists, the rhythm section as a whole, that includes the piano and bassist, and the horn section.

Very important. Some people wonder why they do not get called back or are not called by some specific people to play, or are called by others more frequently....It is your chemistry with the players and is all in the dynamics on the way you play in an ensemble.

Saludos!

That chemistry is what we called "Masacote". The thing is that to get that chemistry in a group or band you have to be playing together for a good amount of time. :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:34 pm

Believe it or not, the "chemistry" is almost instant! You feel it and others too! If you do not feel it right away, most likely you will not feel it at all!

In my opinion, "masacote" occurs way after that and is the entire group not just the percussion!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby whammy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:40 am

I know what you mean about instant chemistry, Raymond.

I have seen bands that have played for years and are just OK, but then you get together and jam with certain people and it sounds like it was totally meant to be, everything works, and it's almost impossible to play anything wrong!

That's chemistry to me - and when you have chemistry like that with other musicians, the dynamics tend to come naturally. :)
whammy

Return to Open Discussion