wood floor or carpet floor

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby muddy323 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:44 am

The hole in the wall jazz clubs that i play in, I dont have the luxury of a Microphone or PA system. I use LP conga feets. But on carpet, my congas still sound like sh!t. I dread playing on carpet. On wood floors, those drums growl. i made a portable small wood floor, similar to a drum mat that i take to gigs. just in case i run into that dreadful carpet flooring. I do prefer to sit while playing. I was having sound & hand problem playing on carpet.

Edited By muddy323 on 1074477864
muddy323

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:01 am

Hey Muddy here is a tip for ya, try "serving trays" the kind they have in bars and restaurants, they also work well as conga covers....At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA......
Johnny Conga

Postby muddy323 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:17 am

Thanks JohnnyConga. great idea, cause i had to put a lip around the edges of the portable wood floor to stablized the congas from moving off of the wood floor. being that my three congas sit on a triangle wood floor, its was easy to put a lip around the edges, that is similar to a serving tray.I could see where those serving trays could be useful.
muddy323

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 19, 2004 2:12 pm

What I have seen with great results is to have some pieces of medium thin wood in circular form and put them underneath each of your congas. (This weekend I saw that. It could be any shape but circular helps them fit in your conga bag). The sound is great. I guess you could have some made very cheap at to your local "Home Depot".

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:04 pm

Just find out Pearl's has made a "wooden plate" to put under the congas named "Resoplates". (Check in http://www.pearldrum.com and check in the NAMM 2004 preview. Check the other products too. Great looking new signature player congas and bongos for Richie Flores and Bobby Allende. Also, they have a new Marc Quinones Signature Series timbales with the innovative feature of tuning from the top).

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby yoni » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:28 pm

One funny thing about where I live is that most buildings are made of stone instead of wood. Not many trees here... the stone floors and rooms really ring. I can't play congas WITHOUT a carpet in these places!

I once made a low wooden box kind of stand for 2 CP congas I had, cut out 2 different circles in it so both drums stood at the same height, bottoms about 3 inches off the floor. Worked nice.
yoni

Postby RitmoBoricua » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:49 pm

Raymond wrote:Just find out Pearl's has made a "wooden plate" to put under the congas named "Resoplates". (Check in http://www.pearldrum.com and check in the NAMM 2004 preview. Check the other products too. Great looking new signature player congas and bongos for Richie Flores and Bobby Allende. Also, they have a new Marc Quinones Signature Series timbales with the innovative feature of tuning from the top).

Saludos!

I know Nicky Marrero played timbales with butterfly nuts at the top and I am pretty sure there were others before Nicky doing the tuning from the top. Them new MQ timbales kind of look unique, will see if they sound as good as they look. Saludos! :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby Johnny Conga » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:35 am

Most timbales were tuned from the top . Mine are from the 50;s and they tune from the top. LP started the tuning on the bottem, that I know of,unless they sets like that in Cuba....At your Service....JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:27 pm

The "tuning" from the top has been a request by a lot of timbaleros. As a matter of fact, some do have half of the tuning screws on the top. However, it became a hazard if you hit them with the sticks.

We'll see...
Raymond

Postby jdmanteca » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:38 pm

Back to the playing surface issue.

To resolve this issue I found precut, sanded wooden rounds (about 18' in diameter and about 3/4" thick) at Home Depot. I'm not sure what they were intended for but the work perfectly. I traced the bottom of each of my 3 drums in the center of each and cut 3 smaller holes on those traced circles. I figured it would allow air to flow underneath the drums and allow the tone to breath.

I intended to cut grooves for the bottom of the drums to set in for stability, but it wasn't necessary. They work great as is and are also very portable when you stack them. Just and idea. It worked for me.
jdmanteca

Return to Open Discussion