Orlando Poleo and Giraldo Piloto

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Simon B » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:47 pm

Honoured to have met and listened last night to the playing of Orlando Poleo and Giraldo Piloto (Klimax drummer and leader) as they played in a 'Class of 1980 ReUnion' gig of friends from the Cuban Arts School organised by Cuban violinist resident in England, Omar Puente. All members of the band played wonderfully but what an incredible pair of percussionists! Poleo came on first to deliver a ten minute modernist exploration of the congas - double-stroke excursions and musical Anga-style patterns - whilst never straying for too long from the 'marcha' rhythm. Then Pilato arrived and demonstrated a sort of ultra-rudiments meets Latin and Funk phrasing as he rolled about the tiny kit to bewilderment and applause. Finally the rest of the band turned out to deliver a real mixture of styles, from Timba to Danson, the bongosero whose name I can only remember as Noba playing on my bongos (he had been called in at last minute - thank you Noba for the tips you gave me for my playing). Pilato told me very modeslty that he doesn't even practice anymore due to time spent composing!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby tamboricua » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:58 pm

Hi Simon B,

Hope all is well! Thanks for the review. Orlando Poleo is one of my favorites tumbadores. One thing I like about his playing style is that he knows how to incorporate technique stuff in a very musical way in his solos. Also, they way he incorporates the tumbadora into traditional Afrovenezuelan rhythms is a must to mention. Con mucho sabor y bien diferente!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby Raymond » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:02 pm

Girardo Piloto is the original drummer for NG Banda. Perhaps the band that established the bases for what was later called timba. I think everybody that pretends to be a trap drummer in latin drummer should listen to NG's "Echale Limon" album. Outstanding work he did!

He did the original producing and some writing in Isaac Delgados first solo efforts.

I have been looking for record from Klimax but they are hard to find.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:15 pm

IF you want to purchase Cuban Cd's goto Pexstore.com, it is a distributor of Cuban music in Miami, all kinds are available. I'm sure they have music by Klimax....if not they can get it for you.....JC JOHNNY CONGA... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby tamboricua » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:49 pm

Raymond wrote:He did the original producing and some writing in Isaac Delgados first solo efforts.

I have been looking for record from Klimax but they are hard to find.

Saludos!

Hola Raymond,

Hope all is well! You can get all Klimax Cds @

http://www.timba.com

Piloto actually came the musical director for Isaac Delgado band when he left NG La Banda. Back in 1993, I did have the opportunity to catch them playing live @ La Marina Hemingway in Cuba. Piloto on drum set, Andrés "Negrón" Miranda on tumbadoras, and Yonder Peña de Jesús on pailas, bongó, and minor percussion. A killer percussion section!

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby CongaCaja » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:47 pm

Felicitaciones, Simon B. I was fortunate meet Piloto while in Havana during Fiesta del Tambor in November. Great guy, great drummers. Unfortunately, Klimax experienced terrible problems with the sound system that detracted from their performance. :( I felt really bad for them.

cjk
CongaCaja

Return to Open Discussion