more hand care questins?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Kari-Matti » Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:59 am

I have this one problem with hands. I get bruises in my hands, right in the spot where the fingers start. below index finger of the right hand and below the pinkie(?) finger,the shortest finger, of the left hand. I think it has something to do with slaps, because it hurts most when striing slaps. I have two djembes, one african made and one remo djembe. At home I play the african made drum and in drum class the remo djembe. after the class these bruises are so bad I can't play for 2-3 days. and sometimes when playing at home, after a while playing it just starts to grow. I've tried to let them heal for 2 weeks then take it easy, but it doesn't help. should I just play more, I play about three times a week for 45 min. at home and 1h 30min at classes once a week, so my hands would just come "harder"?
Kari-Matti

Postby Raymond » Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:23 pm

In my experience, your hands hurting could be one of two things, your technique on the way you are hitting the drums could be wrong or slightly wrong, or you have not built enough strength in your hands.

First of all, when you hit a drum with your hands, it is inevitable that you hands will eventuallly hurt unless you control yourself during the and between gigs. Calluses, very sensitive joints and an ocassional bruise for overhitting are common sometimes. I am not a djembe player, therefore, you will have to review technique or the way you are hitting the drum that could be causing the apparent extreme pain or injuries. If not, then is a matter of you building strength. While building strength in your hand you will have to endure some of the inconveniences. Like in bodybuilding, no pain, no gain is applicable. Eventually, your hands will be able to endure more. Be aware that sometimes while soloing some people tend to over do it specially when your adrenaline is pumping. Later on you will feel the consequences.

My recommendation have some tape handy to deal with irritated joints or calluses when is starts hurting. Exhibit some control or pacee during the gig to avoid "reaching your limit too soon!. (Use the mics to your advantage if that is your case).

I try to use hand creams to help me with irritated stuff between gigs. Also, if building strenght is your case, keep on practicing, of course try to avoid over doing it, so you could build yourself up.

Other opinions will be forthcoming.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:33 pm

I'm with Raymond on the technique aspect for sure. There is also a time when it comes to playing that your hands go through a transitional phase from soft to hard and with a slow buildup of callous. I don't know how long you have been playing but that is part of what goes on with the playing of a hand drum. After playing if your hands are hurting that much, put them in a bowl of "ice water", to bring down any swelling. I don't know if you have been shown how to "strike " a jimbe, I was taught that you play "off" the head with hands moving out,not "down" like you would with congas. That it takes practice to learn how to get a "bounce" off the head with your hands,(like a stick on a snare drum). There is a good video by KALANI on how to play the jimbe, I recommend it...At your Service... JC JOHNNY CONGA... ;)
JohnnyConga

Postby whammy » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:49 pm

My hands don't "hurt" at all... is that "unusual" for a new player after a week or so?
whammy

Postby billybenbob » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:44 pm

Just had my first lesson and I can't wait to get home and start hurting my hands!

Are slaps kind of a bugger to learn or are my hands just being stubborn?
The joy is in the journey
billybenbob

Postby zaragemca » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:17 pm

I do agree with Johnny and Raymond on this one.Whammy,you situation could be related to the fact that you might not be playing hard enough,or not to long,or you might have callous or strong finger's muscles from privious affairs which you might have been conducting with you hands.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Kari-Matti » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:10 pm

I've been playing for about 4 years now, and I haven't had this kind of a problem before with a djembe. Tricky part is that, the bruises are in places where it's hard to put tape on (I drew a picture pointing the pain spots, but looks like I can't post it here), and I think the pain is more in the bones than in skin or muscles.
One cause for the bruises could be the african made djembe, that I've been playing for about 6 months. It has much sharper edges than the remo drum, and it recuires a lot more strenght to play. I took a break for 3 weeks and then started again playing just the remo djembe, but it didn't help, it just got a bit worse.
Thanks all for their help, I'll have to take a look at my technique again, maybe the answer is found there, like most of you suggested.
Kari-Matti

Postby Raymond » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:01 pm

The pain experienced in the "bones" is part of the process of building up strength in your hands. Put them on ice and take a break. (Actually, the pain is the obvious fact that the hand is not used to it. Verify is not the bones. When the bones hurt, they really hurt, i.e., broken, fracture, etc. If that is the case see the doctor soon. Learn to differiantiate the types of pain).

Edited By Raymond on 1073916099
Raymond

Postby yoni » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:16 pm

One point I might add - I find my hands, wrists and bones a lot more rugged when I'm not smoking cigs, a lousy habit that I fall into at times. When I'm off the cigs, the skin on my fingers splits less, my joints feel more fluid and bouncy and I have lots more energy. Well, I guess this is obvious...
yoni

Postby Kari-Matti » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:00 am

Problem solved. It was technique like most of you thought. I was playing with my hands too close to eachother, hence getting a bad angle. Now I'll just have to adapt this new technique, thought it takes time and effort since I tend to play in the old way if I don't concentrate where hands are. thanks for the tips.
Kari-Matti

Postby billybenbob » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:27 pm

I am doing real well on toughening up my hands. I'm able to play for longer periods of time.
Unfortunately, I burned one of my fingers rather badly yesterday. This means no congas or guitar for a week or two.
I can stll manage to hold a pair of sticks though so all is not lost.
The joy is in the journey
billybenbob

Return to Open Discussion