Julito Collazo ibae!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby tamboricua » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:30 pm

It is with great sadness to inform you that another dean of percussion has passed away, Julito Collazo. Julito played a central role in the introduction of Afrocuban popular and folkloric percussion to the North American musical scene. He collaborated with many diverse artists such as: Chick Corea, Sonny Fortune, Tito Puente, Machito, Mongo Santamaría, Eddie Palmieri, Miriam Makeba, Grupo Folklórico y Experimental, Cachao, Steve Berrios, and Carlos "Patato" Valdes, among others.

May he rest in peace.

Jorge Ginorio
tamboricua

Postby franc » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:07 am

jorge, i'm with you. may he rest in peace. it is really sad when someone like julito and others great musicians pass away . it's a great lost to the music world, and as for me , i do feel the empty space. again my condolance to his family and close friends. ACHE!!! to all you guys and always take care!!, franc:)
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:54 am

I have one great memory of a Julito Collazo experience. It was back in the early 80's in L.A. and it was a day of "making Santo" for a young Tony Rosa. Playing for the "Orishas" that day on Bata were-Fransisco Aguabella-Iya-Julito Collazo-Itotele and Steve Berrios-okonkolo. They spoke in Lukumi to each other and did not even start to play until Fransisco was given the money, he counted it, and called on them to start. MAN, I will not forget that day and experience. Of watching these masters play that day. Julito is and was a Legend in NYC. He gave everybody a hard time because he wasn't gonna give up any info if you weren't in the religion. So a lot of guys that wanted to learn how to play Bata went into the religion because of him. I never met or hung with him personally but never heard a bad word about him either. May he rest in Rumba Heaven and keep them Angels Bailando!....JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby zaragemca » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:05 am

That's the way life is,to keep this in a possitive perspective,we still have the legacy which these percussionist gave to the new generation.

Edited By zaragemca on 1078880847
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Open Discussion