Split hand players-George "Sabu Caldwell the 3rd

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Johnny Conga » Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:55 pm

Here is a smalll list of "split hand players"---Candido(at times)-Big Black-Lil Ray Romero-Patato(sometimes) and another Great player, George "Sabu" Caldwell(who recorded with Dizzy Gillespie and personally knew Chano Pozo and learned from him when he could)From my record collection I have one record that George is on with even a photo of him with the orchestra. It is called "One Night in Washington with THEE Orchestra"-featuring the "Afro Suite" on Electra/Musician Jazz Masters Edition. It is the only photo I know that exists of George. George also was in Olatunji's drummers and Dancers and toured the world with Katherine Dunham in the 50's with Julito Collazo-Fransisco Aguabella and Patato. It was these 3 plus George that were her drummers. I miss George a lot I don't know whatever became of him once my life got going we lost touch, but the man was very instrumental in teaching me how to play for dancers in all styles and rhythms and gave me theory. He also played classical guitar and flute. He played with all the heavy Jazz cats in NYC in the 50's including Charlie Parker. I still have George's card from the late 60's as a collectible for me along with "Pablo's" postcard flyer on what he taught and what drums he made. The Dizzy album previously mentioned was recorded "live" in March 12 1955. Long live "George "Sabu" Caldwell the 3rd.....He was a bad maaama jamma........JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby Simon B » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:43 pm

What's a 'split-hand player' Johnny?

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Simon B » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:47 pm

Hey I now know - I've read the other post! All appreciation for 'Sabu' Caldwell!

Simon B
Simon B

Postby Johnny Conga » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:41 am

Split hand style is when you play one pattern in your right hand on the tumba(bass) drum and another pattern on the segundo(conga). Or playing 3 congas with your right hand,bongos between your legs and your left hand playing them. Good example of that type of player was "Master" Henry Gibson(Curtis Mayfield) and Percy James Jr.(Quartet Tres Bien). Giovanni does quite a bit of "split-hand" playing. It's the same as a tabla player, the way they play with hands apart rather together on one. Got it now?....now go practice....JC JOHNNY CONGA..... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby RitmoBoricua » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:51 pm

Johnny Conga wrote:Split hand style is when you play one pattern in your right hand on the tumba(bass) drum and another pattern on the segundo(conga). Or playing 3 congas with your right hand,bongos between your legs and your left hand playing them. Good example of that type of player was "Master" Henry Gibson(Curtis Mayfield) and Percy James Jr.(Quartet Tres Bien). Giovanni does quite a bit of "split-hand" playing. It's the same as a tabla player, the way they play with hands apart rather together on one. Got it now?....now go practice....JC JOHNNY CONGA..... :;):

In 1989 I saw Daniel Ponce played this "split hand" technique at the Village Gate, He was playing "Tumbadoras and Bongos" simultaneously. Also I remember in one particular presentation of the Tito Puente Big band in Puerto Rico like in 1980 I saw Patato play "tumbadoras and bata" simultaneously. It's a great thing! :)
RitmoBoricua

Postby zaragemca » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:13 pm

In percussion terms is called polyrhythms,or double patterns.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:21 pm

In "ol skool" terms it's still split hand style. :D JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby zaragemca » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:29 pm

I do not disagree with you JC,but also the technique is used in others instruments,Drum-Set,Piano,Vibraphono,Timbales,etc.,so that way people would know what it is in all terms.

Edited By zaragemca on 1079980276
zaragemca

Postby James M » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:45 pm

Does a split hand player use tabla-esque techniques as in using individual fingures to play rolls and patterns? Is that what Yonatan is doing in his mp3s on his member's webpage?
http://congaplace.com/musician/yoni/index.php
James M

Postby zaragemca » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:00 pm

The polyrhythms,or split-hand involved the same foundation of coordinating differents patterns, but there is some variation in relation of the specific percussion instruments which is played.

Edited By zaragemca on 1080587039
zaragemca

Postby James M » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:48 am

Because of the physical similarites between tabla and bongos, i can see that some tabla techniques could be transfered to the bongos, and from reading Yonatan's bio, I believe he may be doing that. You can definately here the influence in his playing. I was wandering if he might be imploying tabla techniques on the congas as well.
James M

Postby zaragemca » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:56 am

The situation is that the surface of the Tabla is different than the Bongos and Congas,the tabla is a more delicate(sensitive) isntrument,there are some techniques used to play the tabla which are not transferable,and the structure of Arabic Music is different than the Afro-Cuban-Caribbean.I did some years ago a presentation in a Buddhist Templo with Tabla,Doumbeck and Djembe,with another musician from India.

Edited By zaragemca on 1080608769
zaragemca

Postby congastu » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:45 am

How about tabla on to congas? I dont know if there is a proper name for the "wooo" sound you can get on tumbadoras, but it certainly relates to the low tabla. I know Giovanni has done research into that, but Ive never seen him use this technique. Could be interesting.....
congastu

Postby zaragemca » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:52 pm

The squising of the congas technique was developed by Tata-Guines since the 60's,there is more difference from Conga to Tabla than from Bongos to Tabla,even when I have to recognize that mic. in the Congas have taken away with the congeros having to kill the congas in order to be heard in the Conjuntos and Bands.

Edited By zaragemca on 1080672871
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:17 pm

Giovanni has been applying "tabla" techniques to congas since studying tabla with Zakir Hussain, when they were in Planet Drum together. So it is highly possible to apply this "tabla" style to congas, for sure. Gio is constantly expanding the barriers of conga drumming. With him there is no end in sight...JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Next

Return to Open Discussion