A song I wrote for guitar I subconsciously - introduced my conga playing.

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby James M » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:44 am

This piece I wrote as a beginners study for a friend of mine whom I was teaching guitar to. It is very slow, though with a gradual speed up of tempo as the character changes. This is the latest song of mine, but what makes it different from all my others (actually, one of the many things) is the influence my conga playing has had on the rhythms, especially in the beginning.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/shabadu/www/music/anuncommonbeauty.wav

Edited By James M on 1080885075
James M

Postby zaragemca » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:49 pm

Of course that's the reason that percussion-Bass is called the rhythms-section which keep the pulse of the musical structure.

Edited By zaragemca on 1080928180
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby James M » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:23 pm

But I don't normally write a tumbao in. I didn't write with a clave, this time, but was incorporating odd phrasings for the study.

I wrote a Vals Venezolano once, and something of a bolero with a half clave rhythm XX.XxXxX in the bass and harmony. I have no idea what happened to the transcription.

Thanks for listening, Z.

Edited By James M on 1080943592
James M

Postby zaragemca » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:02 pm

Ok James,but please not everything that you do with the Congas have to be with clave,I already explained the reasons why the percussionists in Cuba have to create a clave for guiding in to the Guaguanco,and later the Son.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby James M » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:47 pm

You, know classical music is one of the few areas in music inwhich there is no notion of clave, with some minor exceptions. Everything I know about music theory, I learned from europeans, but everything I know about rhythm and clave, I learned from Latinos.
James M

Return to Open Discussion