Drum Room Project - Any soundproofing tips?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby jdmanteca » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:46 pm

I've been strongly encouraged by my wife to move all of my percussion instuments out of our spare bedroom. The only option is the garage. I would like to turn it into a usable, comfortable, and enjoyable practice space. I will probably contruct a room in room space for sound proofing purposes. Has anyone else tackled a project like this? Any suggestions would help.
jdmanteca

Postby zaragemca » Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:44 pm

I did several recording in the mid 80's where the owners set up studios out-of their houses,if it is practice for youself,it might not required to much,but practice for Bands,or recording would require little more work.What are you trying to do?

Edited By zaragemca on 1080161321
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:38 pm

The cheapest and best thing to use is "egg cartons" plus you can get them at supermarkets. Just ask the guys who do the shelving. Sometimes they just pile up and they throw them away, or have to many laying around. The other way that cost a little more but asthetically cool is "cork".....At your Service...JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:00 am

sorry JC, but egg cartons will not "sound proof" a room.
You may be thinking of sound treatment.

Sound proofing a room you need mass = isolation. A bass drum's soundwave may need 20' to complete its cycle.

To sound proof a garage for congas, bongos is not too time/money consuming. Get a full band in and it will be quite consuming. Sound isolation is when no sound gets in and no sound go out. Thats a big task!!! No carpet and draperies are gonna cut it.

I have converted a garage into a dual purpose tracking(rehearsal too)/ mixing room. working on for 3 years and its not complete. Mostly tweaking the acoustical treatment.

What instruments are going to be played/used? What is the construction of the garage, size?

T
Tonio

Postby jdmanteca » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:33 pm

Sorry I haven't responded sooner but the purpose of the room is primarily for my rehearsal practice space but I would also like it to be available for some other musicians.

I play primarily latin percussion incuding: congas, timbales, bongos, and assorted percussion. I would like to get more into drumset eventually.

I am prepared to sink a little bit of money into it and construct the room within a room plan in my garage. I've done some research and this seems to be the best treatment for sound isolation. It will involve replacing the garage door with an insulated one and installing some sort of AC (it boils in summer in Texas). The rest of the expense will include lots of sheetrock (double layers) and other "massive" materials like roofing paper and concrete board etc.

My goal is to practice or play at will with out disturbing my neighbors or anyone in my house. I don't plan on leaving this house for a while and I have been playing drums all my life so I think it is worth it.
jdmanteca

Postby rahalak » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:25 pm

Tonio is right on the mark. Mass & isolation are what you need. You might want to check out this site controlnoise

It's a commercial site with products to sell, but quite informative just the same. Do a "search by application."

Good luck.
Chris

Edited By rahalak on 1080674795
rahalak

Postby Tonio » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:29 pm

The hardest part is going to be the garage door, and windows if any. What I did was make another floating wall with door on the inside, and sealed the outside door. You could take the room inside a room route, but that's arguable depending on how the existing construction is done.
Check out this forum, http://www.recording.org/forum34.html they know what needs to be done. FAQ is really good too, just be sure you are looking into the sound proofing(isolation) first, then consider the sound treatment(acoustic) within the space.
Are you installing a HVAC? yikes!! that's gonna be a doozy. There is split systems that can be installed for much less cost, plus you don't have to worry about the vent tubes. Or maybe even the conventional window type.

Good luck

T
Tonio

Postby jdmanteca » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:58 pm

Thanks Tonio and to all that have responded.

I am going to need some luck and some dough to get this done. I think with some research and experimentation I can build what I am looking for. My contractor friend has really helped alot with solutions to the AC situation. This biggest concern being sound leakage through vents and ducts etc. He found a unit that is connected to a suitcase like condenser that lives outside the room. The connections can be caulked up to seal it. A little pricey but worth it I think. As Tonio said, my focus is and should be the sound proofing. I can play with the acoustics once I get that whipped.

Thanks again everyone.
jdmanteca

Postby Tonio » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:17 am

Cool, keep us posted on how its going.

T
Tonio

Postby congastu » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:13 pm

One thing I do to practise quietly is simply to tie sweaters or the equivalent around the heads of the congas. As long as the fabric isnt too thick, you can still get all the tones and practise all the movements, but it muffles the sound enough not to disturb the neighbours.
Peace and love, stu
congastu

Return to Open Discussion