Cinco de MAYO GIG

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Tonio » Mon May 03, 2004 12:52 am

Hi all, hope all is well!

Just got back from a bene-gig. I play with Latin Obsession/ or Obecion Latina!!
Its a Cinco de Mayo/no substance(no smoking, substance abuse) type gig. Last year it was raining. Don't you love those bene gigs?
This weekend has been a Santa -Ana type day-uncommonly hot and dry. Got to 95 in the shade. Oh and no tent or anything, under the sun!! Well we were set to start at2PM so most of us showed up at 1:30, wow no later comers!!
So we set up alittle late due to the previous performers being late-you know the usual at bene gigs. And the wind started to kick up, that's good we thought. but noooo charts are flying everywhere, and the trumpet players'(he's very a proficient/creative player) chart is actually a tenor sax chart? uh oh...
We started with Mambo Melani (Bronx Bros.) The first passage goes ok.
Then he starts going mad, and flails his arms and jumps off the stage. The vocalist goes to look for the correct charts, while the pianist extends his solo!
Meanwhile I'm looking at the bassist in question. His eyes are wide open with question. The pianist is motioning the end of his solo, and the trumpet player jumps back on stage for a solo. He pulls it off as usual. Segue way back to the head, and the trumpet player is goin nuts agian. Talk about on the spot trascribing!
Somehow we pulled it off. Next tune was something easier, don't remember what it was at this point.
All in all it was ok for a bene gig.
Thought I'd share the fun.... How was your weekend?

T

Edited By Tonio on 1083545702
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Mon May 03, 2004 4:43 pm

It is great to have those gigs,you just remind me that one of my biggest gigs(in terms of crowd),have been Cinco de Mayo's celebration,the first one with La Tremenda's Radio,in the 1980's at the Houston Coliseum.(around 35,000 people),an another one in L.A.(100,000).But mi beggy was Calle 8 Carnival in Miami(around 200,000),now it is bigger.Bob Marley's Festivals are also fun to play.

Edited By zaragemca on 1083603189
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Tue May 04, 2004 2:31 am

Hi Zaragemca!
You've been around my friend! I like to be planted in one spot(San Diego currently), since I make my living in other ways. But of course I have been other cities-close like LA.
Ever have to lug congas in a train subway for 2 hours with some tranfers? eeeck!!

Its always rush rush rush get the in time(or early) to find out the show is running late. Boy, when will I learn? But I always am prompt, just the way I am I guess. Its good to see the crowd too. Gets the adrenaline going, and sometimes you get to see how other musicians handle the situation.

Now if I can get my current band to get better gigs.... :;):

T
Tonio

Postby zaragemca » Tue May 04, 2004 4:13 pm

Saludos Tonio,San Diego,as far as I could remember has one of the most pretty beaches in 'Califa',La Jolla.California is a big State for entertainment,having a lot of gigs would depends on the willingness of the musicians to travel,the type of music which the band could play,quality,and very important!,the relationship-connections in the booking-business.

Edited By zaragemca on 1083687653
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Tonio » Wed May 05, 2004 1:34 am

Yes San Diego is nice, but somewhat conservative.
The band is fairly new so we have'nt had much persuit for better gigs, plus most are busy with other bands or teaching etc.
As you say we do need to get a connection if we really want to do anything!!

T
Tonio

Return to Open Discussion