Boiadeiro - some points to clarify

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby James M » Wed May 19, 2004 7:50 am

I hope you all enjoy that one. It's a beutiful piece. I'd like to transcribe the lyrics, too, but it's from a very poor recording and I can't understand any but one or two words, but I'll keep trying. Also, wanted to clarify that the rhythm and music is called Ponto de Umbanda, which is basically used for all Umbanda praise songsthat I'm aware of, with variations (such as the one I transcribed) based on individual terreiros/templos and creative inclination of the performers. Sometimes, there may be strong 12/8 feel, but most of the time, it's in 2/4, 4/4. The music is often very close to batuque praise songs in the State of Rio Grande do Sul, the true forerunner of Samba. This boiadeiro is in that category.

http://www.geocities.com/umbandacristo/minhaweb8/suportframes.htm for mp3 examples of Pontos de Umbanda

http://www.orixas.com.br/cantos.htm for some examples of batuque compared with Candomblé

Edited By James M on 1084955382
James M

Postby Tonio » Thu May 20, 2004 12:12 am

Cool James!!

Thanks for sharing , I'll check it out. I didn't realize the various
worship other than vodoo and condomble.

T
Tonio

Postby James M » Thu May 20, 2004 4:43 am

Yer welcome!! I haven't had to work all week, so I've filling my time transcibings and what not. Part of it is a promise I made to man selling paitings of Orixás on the streets in Salvador, Bahia to learn as much as I could and spread the knowledgeto others around these parts. I tried to start up a drum circle made up of others who couldn't make it to a regular one on campus (which is currently fighting the Dean's office for the right to play) and especially work on rhythms and group cohesion. I got alot of initial interest, then it was just me after third week. I'm still working on it. A friend is interested in starting a salsa or rumba band, so I hoping to work something out with him!
James M

Return to Open Discussion