SNOWBOY....new beginnings

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby mjw » Fri May 21, 2004 7:43 am

Wow - just picked up Snowboy's new CD at a gig last night.

His new material is even more powerful than all of his previous CDs put together.

He's playing at the Jazz Cafe (London) tonight and tomorrow (21st & 22nd May), so if you're in the vicinity, you'd be doing nothing wrong by going along to check out this fabulous band.

Cheers!
mjw

Postby muddy323 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:51 pm

I never seen Snowboy in Los Angeles..But i was lovin "Afro Cuban Jazz" cd...I love organs in latin jazz,they offer a thick flavor to the music..If Snowboy ever comes to LA...i would love to hear some of his music live...I need a review of that show in London.
muddy323

Postby mjw » Wed May 26, 2004 7:45 am

Didn't make the london shows at all - however the show I caught was in Rayleigh - just outside of Snowboy's home town, so there were loads of friends and family of his and (saxaphonist) Gary Plumley's there.

Musicians on the night were as for the previous CDs - but with Chris Kibble on rhodes/hammond.

Tunes they did on the night (from memory) - Chango Moti Awa, all of the new album, Puente, Rumberos de la Habana y Matanzas and Theme from the New Avengers as an encore.

Snowboy also treated us to one of his powerful free solos based around a simple bembe pattern - the speed and agility on display made it impossible to believe that he spent last year not playing congas due to a wrist injury (almost stopped him playing for good).

I don't belive that he'll be reaching the U.S on the current tour - you'll have to make do with the CD for now - keep an eye on http://www.snowboy.info for release/label information
mjw

Return to Open Discussion