another dj question

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby CongaTick » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:32 am

Congueros,

Another question about playing with a DJ. Been invited to asked to play at an "island party" on June 19th and looking forward to the fun. But this has the possibility of turning into a regular gig in local area, which would be good. Question is, what kind of compensation (if any) do you negotiate/accept from a DJ on something like this? I'll be bringing 3 congas, bongos and a box of hand perc extras. This may be a somewhat sensitive subject, but thought a few of the forum may have ideas, experience and comments.
Thanks.

Congatick

do so and this may turn into a regular thing. First
CongaTick

Postby CongaTick » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:38 am

Sorry about that last additional/nonsense line. Too early in the morning for me to edit my post properly. Apologies, but you get the idea.

Congatick
CongaTick

Postby mjw » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:43 pm

The same as you's expect from any paying gig.

If the DJ running the gig is professional, and has a professional attitude (not always the same thing), he/she won't find the discussion/negotiation offensive or sensitive.

Cheers, have fun.
mjw

Postby zaragemca » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:07 pm

That is a tough question becouse,there are a lot of factors in the equation,first you experience interacting with different music,the owner willingness to put in the extra-money(becouse the DJ's stuff came out of saving the money in relation to the full Band in some venues, the amound of time(hours) which it is going to be set up to play.

Edited By zaragemca on 1086297034
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Johnny Conga » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:30 am

I don't know how good you are but I would ask for $150.oo minimum for a 3 hour gig with a DJ.....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby CongaTick » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:30 pm

Many thanks to all of you, especially to JC, for your honest and direct advice. It will help greatly, when and if, money is to be discussed.

Saludos,

Congatick
CongaTick

Postby pidoca » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:50 am

hi mate, here in australia I play with a coupe of D.J.'s and I ask for a $200 fee up front, Dont be shy about talking about money, you are selling your services, your expertice. In a Business sense you know how mucha coffee is worth, some places cheaper than others, some better coffees better than others, decide on a fee and stick with it. they will respect you and your expertice and professionalism.

Good Luck Let us know how it goes.
cabrita music
pidoca

Return to Open Discussion