Percusion en tema de salsa - Percusion en la Salsa

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:16 pm

Mr. Furley,

My musical theory education is very informal. Sorry if I use terms that might confuse you.

The slap happens very quickly and since is a repetition, I admit it could be hard for some to identify. Anyway, it happens quickly....tutu slap, tu tuu, palm, palm. Remember, the slap happens in the second beat of a 4/4 bar and is the first "leg" of the double eighth note. In the 3 bar it happens before the second beat that is an eighth note. In the 2, it happens slightly before the second beat that is a quarter note.

Some congueros's slaps are not so clear. Jimmy Morales is among the few....Ummm...check any recording of Frankie from "Mi Libertad (1992) and the previous one. During that time, the recordings in PR had a mix that put the conguero very clear in the record.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Mr. Furley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:01 pm

Thanks Raymond!

I was listening to Mongo Santamaria playing cha-cha this morning and I could hear the slaps quite well. Of course being slower it was easier to hear. I later was listening to some colombian salsa from the 70's and it was still hard to hear but i played it loud and i could hear it though. I guess I'm expecting the slap to be louder than it really is on a lot of recordings. Again, thanks for the informative discussion.
Mr. Furley

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:57 pm

Hearing the slap.......you have to remember that it's all in "the mix",besides the player too. Some engineers bury the conga drummer,so you don't hear the slap as well, and there are others that it put it out front where it belongs.....Keep on slappin!....JC JOHNNY CONGA.... :;):
Johnny Conga

Postby congastu » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:15 pm

Just to add, Giovanni Hidalgos slap cuts through like a peach on everything Ive got by him.
Also, try getting a few videos so you can see it as well as hear it.
congastu

Previous

Return to Open Discussion