mechanical playing?? - mechanical playing

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby emmett » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:56 pm

I’ve been learning the congas for a few years now. I can play some basic rhythms and their variations with some confidence. However, while playing with a friend she told me that my playing was “mechanical”, and that she could hear me thinking while I was playing. My question is how can I let go while keeping my timing smooth?
All feedback is welcome,
Peace
emmett woodard
emmett

Postby Raymond » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:36 pm

Relax, relax, relax, relax......

Mechanical is when you are doing things too consious and not naturally. Is like walking, if you think about it and do not do it naturally, if all of the sudden you need to turn right, there is no way you will be able to do it without havin to stop or not been able to do it... Besides...you will also, look funny...

Is hard to react and be natural if you do not have confidence in what you are doing. Therefore, the important thing here is to build your confidence in your playing and you will see the improvement....

In "musical terms" your friends is saying that you do not sound natural or with "swing" like you should...Very important is to sound right...You might be too aprehensive or not going along naturally or you are lacking "speed" or "proficiency" or what we call "street smart skills" to play with others....You have to "review yourself here"...

The terms or analogies above are easier said than done but actually all it takes is you relaxing about what you are doing and building that confidence that you will not lose it...The more relax you are, without losing your concentration, the better you will be able to play...

Practice, practice, practice...Believe it or not it is a shocker when you go out there and play with others who told you "do not have it..." (At least not yet)....Cannot take that comment in a bad way, also have to qualify it because the other person could be wrong and not you..... Try to think and realize what they mean....

The proficiency and skill to play with others takes awhile and depends on you....You might need to practice things you might be lacking....You have to identify or allow others to tell you, in a nice and professional way, how to do it right....

Don't feel bad...don't give up....ask them what they mean..... Tell them to show you...learn from that.....

After all this "psychology", in summary, you might need to practice more "your grooves" and master your playing until is "flawless" or at least close to it that others feel you have it...(Yes...you have to get there...For some is quicker and for some takes them awhile....Don't give up...)

Recomendation, when playing with others try to record yourself and compare it to the playing of others in records, for example....Ask yourself.....Do I sound right! Listen to yourself over and over and you will find the "flaws"" .. (See other posts here about the "psychological" and "physiological" side of this."

Who knows this might be a "breakthrough" in your playing so you could develop further....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby congastu » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:31 pm

Good stuff, Raymond
Also, listen and enjoy the musicians and instruments around you: this will help you get in the groove. The times when we feel mechanical are mostly when we havent quite settled inside the groove, and we are trying to find our own little space. Think about the melody as well as the rhythm and try different fills/patterns so you can hear how what you do influences the whole. Dont be disheartened- we learn far more from constructive criticism than being told how good it sounds all the time.
Most importantly, dont try and be anyone else: we all have our own individual voices. If youre feeling comfortable playing standard conga grooves, but its somehow feeling flat, take a jump and get your own chops together- maybe even try out a few "invento" rhythms of your own.
If youre relaxed, listening and having fun without showing off- youre probably on the right track- eventually, with practise and more practise , the mechanical will become the sublime!
Good luck, stu
congastu

Postby congastu » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:36 pm

PS the most I ever learned from playing in a band was[ and is!] having to play congas alongside a kit drummer who is also a s*** hot percussionist. I cant get away with anything!! All good though..
congastu

Postby congastu » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:03 pm

PPS: what kind of context are we talking about, Emmet? The problem may be as simple as trying to fit grooves you have learned into a situation where others things might lock more. If its a duo, then that can be very demanding as you are constantly under the microscope, but you also have a lot of freedom, so experiment [tumbao is very good as a make do, but outside afro cuban settings, other styles can work just as well if not better]
congastu

Postby emmett » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:35 am

Stu,
First, thanks for the good feedback. The context in which I was playing was to the play along section to Poncho Sanchez’s Conga Cookbook (chachacha). Although he lists several variations of this rhythm during the play along it sounds like (to my newbie ears) he only plays one.
emmett woodard
emmett

Postby congastu » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:11 pm

Ive just listened to that track and your right. What hes probably doing is giving you the space to put in your own variations and work out what feels good.
PS: I get the impression Poncho learned a lot from Mongo Santamaria- a lot of his fills seem to come from him, and for my money Mongo was/is the man for those slower cha grooves- he plays them with such great feel. Get a hold of some of his stuff and try playing along to that- that should do the trick!
Good luck, stu
congastu

Return to Open Discussion