How Long Have You been Playing

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:01 am

I have sensed that I am really new at playing, but each day I read posts from players that ask questions that I kinda know the answers to. It really gives me inspiration to keep on plugging away with lessons and any and all info I can gather on the net. I have been playing and taking lessons since May of 03, but took off two months and missed 6 or 8 lessons due to circumstances beyond mine and my teacher's control, so I have been at this about 9 months. How about the rest of you guys? How long and any tips to pass along?:blues:
mangorockfish

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:50 am

I would say that some people have a natural nack to play the congas. I myself took lesson for three to four months and within that time I was able to play four congas at one time. After taking lessons with my former teacher, I had to stop due to finances. What I did to continue to enhance my conga playing I started getting more Latin Jazz and Salsa cd's and tried to mimic what I hear (ala Mongo Santamaria and Ray Barretto). It's now six years I've been playing the congas and I'm learning something new everyday. "Playing congas is an ongoing lesson." Some of the best congueros out will state the same thing. As long as you enjoy playing the congas, THAT ALL THAT COUNTS!!!!
RayBoogie

Postby Johnny Conga » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:58 pm

Well I'm into my 40th year playing congas, and like Giovanni and others, I'm still learning and will continue to do so, until....When I first started out, back in 1964 learning to play, I really went all out and had the "fever" so bad I actually cut school just to go and jam and almost didn't graduate high school. Outside of the 3 years in the military from 68 to 71(Vietnam Vet), that didn't even deter me. I even played while in the military,mostly in Germany after Nam time. For me it has always been a "love affair" and I married my congas in my living room when I was 15 in my own little ceremony. 4 wives have come and gone but my congas are still here......I LOVE my congas.....I have gone all over the world because of the drum and I'm not stopping till I drop. One of these days you guys can read my book on my life story with all the stuff good novels are made of sex-drugs and Congas!......hahahahaha....I don't recommend the drugs-sex ok- Congas definetly!......Don't stop till u Drop!.....JC JOHNNY CONGA... :D
Johnny Conga

Postby Tonio » Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:23 pm

Hola congueros, been busy.
Well I started in Junior High School. With no teacher lessons whatsoever!! All i could do is learn from listening, and an occasional concert by any conguero. Wasn't much since I was in Japan. By the time I was in HS, I started playing with college jazz groups.
Then a 6 year stint in US Army, which I did'nt do much.
After that I finally got a teacher, then another for BATA.
so about 20 years all in all, and I am still learning, it never stops.
Been in a diversity of groups jazz, salsa, latin jazz, rock, pop,reggae .One time I played a guitar player, marimba(marimbist?), and elect guitarist. we played some wicked stuff.
we called ourself White Elephant LOL.

Keep it goin' mangorockfish!! At times it maybe hard , but keep at it-keep your chops up.
Learn from different styles,genre, people, it will reward you.

T

Edited By Tonio on 1087334661
Tonio

Postby Isaac » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:03 am

Hey JC, I was inspired by your story, so I thought I'd tell mine - Isaac

I was born and raised in the Canadian Prairie City - Winnipeg, Manitoba.I have an older brother who grew up to be a professional drummer. He eventually
became a Broadway Show drummer, and has worked in every style you can imagine - from Military, Classical, Opera, Big Band, Funk, Original Rock, Country, Soundtracks, etc. In the 70's he started bringing home latin records. So he was one of my first influences.
I also had an eccentric great aunt who in her youth
was an actress in the then thriving Yiddish Theater scene. She made frequent trips to New York City to connect with the scene there. When I was about 5 years old, she came back from one of these trips and was all of a sudden
dancing to Mambo records! She soon got bored with it and gave my brother and
I a nice little stack of Perez Prado, Tito Puente, and Noro Morales music. So as
kids, these gifts became a major part of our tiny record collection. From the roof
of our house we would watch the Scottish Marching Band rehearse with their
drums and bagpipes. If you havn't heard that live - its more inspiring if
done well than you can anticipate. Soon after my aunt gave us a short wave
radio. When weather permitted, we could clearly listen to our favorite radio
station - an all Soul & R&B Black radio station from Little Rock, Arkansas (home
of Bill Clinton). We used to fake going to sleep, and stay up listening to
all those funky grooves...I was 6 or 7 by this time. At school I was exposed
to traditional Jewish music both in Hebrew and Yiddish, the older stuff still
with that Eastern flavor. Another early but vivid image, was
sitting watching Tarzan movies on TV. In the background you'd hear actual field
recordings of African music - not like today - studio cats with great synth chops,
but no clue about actual rhythms. Later I recognized some of the music as
being from Central and East Africa. So the music influences of the far away world luckily made their way into our house or maybe we were just thirsty for those
sounds.
My brother Jack's rock band rehearsed in our house and I watched
almost every band rehearsal I could. In 8th grade I started guitar lessons with
his guitarist who was a genius of the instrument by 15.( He eventually took too much acid ,and became a recluse for many years, before recovering & becoming a highly published health & naturopathy writer), but I received a walloping electrical shock and was hurled against a wall with a numbing jolt to the arm. It was a clear sign - the guitar was not for me. My brother brought home a sax soon after and he never opened it. I began to play the alto sax. I picked it up by ear very naturally at first and could manage to play simple blues and jazz. About a year went by. I was now 15, and starting to jam with others. After returning from a summer camping trip with friends ( what teenagers used to do in Canada) I discovered my sax missing. I wept in desperation, learning that my brother had taken it and swapped it for a pound of grass!! He had been away in Europe for a year and didn't know that I was playing it. Feeling very guilty and
sorry for his mistake, he came home with a conga drum for me. He also never
wanted me to play his drums , because I used to bust a lot of his skins., so
this conga was a good solution. The drum was a tourist model conga brought
back from Nigeria by one of his college professors, who was also a good
customer at my parent's corner grocery store. It had a tacked-on thick
cow skin. So this became my new instrument. I kept this till 1997 and had kept
repairing it, added hardware, fixed cracks, mounted a few different heads on it
and fiberglassed the inside. I also had a set of LPs (from Palisades Park, and a
used set of Gon Bops)
Music was however, not my career choice, but I kept the fire burning slowly
in the background for many years. I eventually travelled and met "real"
congueros who'd show me a few things. There are many names I could mention,
some well known. others not. In 1976 I went to Minneapollis on a college trip,
and while there got a chance to see the Stan Kenton Orchestra. The Conga
player was Ramon Lopez, from NYC. This was a truly inspirational experience.
On the same trip, I met a Ghanian drummer in a Park and he gave me a drum
and started teaching and showing me things. So I was about 19 -20 yrs old
by then and really just getting started on the conga. There was no one I knew
to learn from, so I began looking for good records to listen & learn from.
My first few purchases were recommended by my good friend Geoffrey Clarfield,
who eventually became an ethnomusicologist and professor in Africa.
1. YAMBU by Mongo Santamaria ( had on it Armando Peraza, Julito Collazo, Willie Bobo, Carlos Vidal, and a few other giants)
2. Top Percussion - Tito Puente and Mongo and many of the same as above.
3. Mustafa Teddy Addy - (not conga, but the Ghana equivalent - Kpanlogo)
4. Patato and Totico (just re-released as a CD) some good Rumba with Arsenio
Rodriguez on Tres - very soulful, his last recording before he passed on.
5. Los Papines
I listened to this stuff over and over again for years.
From 1977 -1980 I lived in Israel. The Music there is a whole other chapter. I began working in a Band with Brazilians, Peruvians and Argentinian musicians.
I also was a solo Percussionist for a small dance group that did weekly performances of Yemeni folk music - all very odd time signatures. I became
part of the Rubin Academy Percussion Ensemble, where we did a few Brazilian
things like the Batucada. There I met an American Jazz musician named Jerry
Garval. He moved there from New York in 1964. He played Trombone, Drumset
and Congas, and used to play with a lot Mongo's crew before leaving the USA. I basically started over and learned all the standard tumbao and guaguanco
stuff. After leaving Israel I arrived in New York to study latin percussion. I took private classes by day, and went to shows almost every night. Got to see Mongo, Palmieri, Baretto, Sonora Poncena, Airto, and many of my musical heros.
This lasted 3 months, when I had to leave because of Visa restrictions.
I drummed with a few rumba friends in Toronto once in a while but was not growing musically for the next 7 years. I took a trip to Cuba in 1988 to get recharged. In 1990 after a solid career in graphic design, married and with a 6 month old daughter, we moved to New York. Where else in the world can access so many styles of music? After work I started more study at the Harbor Conservatory, my teachers were Jimmy Delgado and the late master percussionist from Cuba - Luis Andino. These days I do a bit of performing, a bit of teaching to beginners,and am still making time to practice and learn some more. a little at a time.
Because its been part time, its been a long slow process, but the journey
is whats rewarding.
Isaac

Postby Ivan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:25 pm

... The story of the drum is always so trankwell... No matter what we do, or no matter what music is going on around us - it all starts with the drum...

Thanks for sharing your story Isaac. You should move out here and hang with JC and I...

I am 25 years old and yet I still find myself sitting around the "old schoolers" anxiously waiting to hear all of your stories like I'm 10 years old again...

Thanks again for sharing your stories fello congueros...

Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby congastu » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:01 pm

Some fantastic stories there!
Johnny- forty years and four wives must add up to a stack of tales, mate!
Well, heres mine:
It started in Gambia when I was 14 [which is now 14 years ago, so Im still a baby]. My dad and I [who was building a pottery out there] were staying in a compound called Kelebis Kunda, which happened to a be a bit of a meeting point for drummers across West Africa, on account of its links to Ifang Bondi. I wasnt into learning drums [lack of belief, maybe] but I loved dancing to the rhythms and on that basis one of the guys [Jose Antonio Djalo, from Bissau] decided I had to learn. He used to sit me down and make me play whatever he sung- it was all about bass and melody. When it was time to come back to the Uk, he gave me his drum and told me to keep playing, mixing what I learnt with the music I heard back home. He was a serious drummer and this was his main drum, so I felt a real obligation to keep on and make him proud when we returned.
For years I kept on with the Djembe. I got a pair of congas and used to mess about on them in cover bands, but it wasnt until I was 20 that the leader of a drum troupe I was playing with in Liverpool told me if I really wanted to do it pro I should learn some proper conga rhythms and technique. He hooked me up with a percussionist from Ecuador [ Tito Guevara] who gave me the nth degree, and a couple of years later I bagged a tour around Europe with a major recording artist [any techno fans out there remember CJ bolland ?]
It still took a few more years of graft to go full time teaching and playing but - touch wood - Ive now been self employed for two years and making ends meet. The more I play out the more I meet people who I can learn from and nowadays you can finding me playing anything from samba to salsa to funk to rock, although Africa is still close to my heart and it will be years yet before I feel I can do justice to the love and experience and passion for playing that the guys gave me.
Sorry for waffling
peace and love
Congastu
congastu

Postby mangorockfish » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:20 am

Good stories guys. I especially was interested in the part of Isaac's about the radio station in Little Rock, AR. LR is where I live. Was the station KOKY ( The Black Giant)? It's been around for mucho years. I have a good friend who works there. LR is not much of a music town, but is getting better. A few conga players around, but not many. Memphis is only about 2 1/2 hrs away and the music there is all over the place.
Saludos :D
mangorockfish

Postby Moose » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:30 am

my goodness jc! married to your congas? have you ever cheated on them. hahahahaha :cool:
Moose

Postby Johnny Conga » Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:12 pm

The only way I cheated on them was not playing for one whole year,while I managed a car stereo store in North Hollywood California. Boy did I become depressed. But I went back to them and reunited,made amends and we are still happily married.... :D JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby Raymond » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:12 pm

Lots of interesting stories here...JC...I can't wait for the book....

In my experience, the most important thing about this is to try to learn all the aspects that comprehend percussion playing.....Is complicated and is not fun, like playing the drums themselves, but it will make you a better musician and let you be a better drummer....

The best school....LA CALLE...(THE STREET...PLAYING WITH OTHERS...THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY....You'll be amazed what you learn from the BAD and the UGLY....It will teach you what not to do.)

In summary, I have taken serious my playing for the last 14 years... As a kid, I was one of those curious kids going to the drums and trying to play them...Eventually, my dad bought me some classic Slingerland's in brass....I was good at the basics...No wonderkid here....My mistake...never took it seriously.....In gigs, I wanted to hang with the kids and the girls and not play....After becoming a teenager my interests changed....Believe it or not was ashamed of my Slingerlands because the LP Tito Puentes were the cool ones....What a mistake...

Never lost interest in music...I knew my "salsa" and everything related to it.....Kept it up during my time in the US Air Force...Have to thank a still friend of mine who is a great percussionist who was with me in the Air Force, Carlos Perez-Bido....We lived in Cocoa Beach Florida and he was playing in Orlando...I accompany him once in awhile to rehearsals...At the end, he realize he needed a "car pool" buddy....He asked me if I could play "something", which I did, the basics of some of the instruments....He told me..."you are going to be the "bongosero" and "tamborero" (tambora- merengue) for the group....He "stuck" with me despite me "sucking big time" and I got serious...Men...was I awful....but spent Saturdays driving my neighbors crazy playing and playing..sometimes up to 10 hours.....Carlos..gave me some pointers....I picked up of some players in records.....Listen, listen, studied, studied...

I go out of the Air Force and moved back to Puerto Rico...One of my goals to finish college and other to play in an "important band" and meet the "people" in Puerto Rico.... First friend...Albert Machuca, a bongosero I admired and try to emulate his "tuning" and "campana playing"... I was lucky...Albert exposed me to the salsa recordings in Puerto Rico, told me what "heads" and bells to buy, etc, etc....Also, gave me an important gig with Edwin Rivera, Jerry's brothers, that I did for six months....I was not that good still but could hold a tune...Played with great people.... Through all this recording I went with Albert met who is who of percussion in Puerto Rico...from Giovanni to name them...

During all this time..I practiced at home with records for at least 6 to 8 hours on weekends...(Not counting when I got a chance during the week....)

In any rumba in my hometown I dared to show up and play my bongos...I dared to listen to get pointers....Noticed one thing...with bongos only I could not do it...It was a given that if you play bongos you also play congas...Not true with me.....After all this time, I became a Tax Consultant/CPA and I can afford the "equipment"....bought me some LP Galaxy's....drove my neighbors crazy again..... Got me some timbales....practiced, practiced, practiced, practiced.

I have tried before to learn how to read music but the "gigging and fun of learning" kept me away from this "serious part..." I was given classes but was the long way...the piano chart to build up to the rest..boring..

My friend Albert Machuca recommended to Tito de Gracia, perhaps the best all around percussionist in Puerto Rico, to teach me reading music....With Tito I not only learn how to read some but he gave me "technical pointers" on congas, I was doing my conga playing technically wrong..sounded right but wrong....Gave me pointers on 2/3 or 3/2 clave, in how to be aware of the "standards" in a "salsa arrangement" that you could react and still be natural, etc, etc....

I continue to gig ocassionally while still been a Tax Consultant....Man...this is my passion...Though I still have a lot to learn....For example, I want to learn batas and want to do more......Constantly, trying to learn more...

In my opinion, I have not done more because I am humble and not pretentious about what I do...Also, the musical business is one that people stab each other in the back....Everybody has a friend that could play your instrument and he wants you out to put his friend in...Also, not everybody is a $100 bill that is liked by everybody...I hate "kissing ass"...I hate depending others....Nevertheless, I have great friends in the business...Never asked them for favors to play in their "big arena"...so far I am content in playing in my "level"... Even losing money by doing some gigs...but you can never substitute playing with others...

Biggest thrills...meeting Willie Colon, meeting Albert Machucha who taught me so much, meeting Giovanni Hildago, meeting Tito de Gracia, who is a great friend, and meeting Marc Quinones....

I found this forum and I have learned so much and I have tried to share some of my experiences...(I am more technique than skill...believe me)....Is a great experience.... I thank everybody here and I am always at your service on anything you guys need to keep this "craft" that I love so much...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby congastu » Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:59 pm

Yes, brother!
You know, I keep on seeing West African troupes on tour and people always ask me is it like when I
was a kid, and for the most part my answer is no.. the guys on the street had far more going on. Why? They werent playing for money.. they were playing just to eat! Sometimes, trying to be "professonal" and getting too hooked on the money can make your edge go- so its good to know theres so many out there who do it just for the love. Thats not to take it away from the guys out there who are touring and earning from it [after all, im just about getting there myself] and 99.9% have earned that right ten times over- especially if youve come up from the ghettos, and its the only road out- but as one drummer said to me before a gig-"I dont eat, because I play better HUNGRY!"
Peace and love, stu
congastu

Postby Moose » Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:36 pm

Raymond wrote:and meeting Marc Quinones....

i love him!!!!!

Edited By Moose on 1089567405
Moose

Postby Tonio » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:07 am

What up MOOSE!!

T
Tonio

Return to Open Discussion