arrangements for baterias

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby congastu » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:03 pm

I was really happy when I found this site- lots of freedom of exchange, good vibes and patterns to learn! Theres also a lot on the net where you can get notation for W. African rhythms.

However, when it comes to arrangements [as opposed to individual instrument patterns] I cant find anything for Afro-Brazilian music, especially for baterias. Is there any forums or websites out there who do this? I know some schools are quite secretive about this, but I would be really up for getting some exchanges going, where you can see all the parts locking together.
Thanks in advance
Stu
congastu

Postby zaragemca » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:36 pm

Congastu, you need to understand that Samba-Bateria is a competitive field were this schools go around the world competing for first prizes,they even might do practice in a secretive way(it was like that in Cuba's Comparsas during the Carnivals(B.C.) Before Castro.Even when they found out that I was doing training in Samba-Bateria,a group of Musicians from Brasil came to my Drum-Circle and took several pictures and a video(so we are somewhere in Brasil now).So you cann't expect that the people which are doing this for the money are going to show you the whole (9- yards).

Edited By zaragemca on 1080672236
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby James M » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:05 pm

That really happened to you? That's nuts. I have some audio of me in a drum circle going around somewhere to. The guy recorded us for a few weeks without anybody knowing, then said he was going to make a CD and give it to everybody. Haven't heard from him since.

Another reason is the relative disinterest, isolation, and exoticism of Brazil compared to Cuba. It isn't so bad compared to Andean traditional music. Who can name the National Music of Peru, Chile, Bolivia, Andean Argentina? A very popular song called in Bolivia called "Llorando Se Fue" (an Afro Bolivian Saya) by the group Kjarjas was stolen by Brazilian group called Kaoma and turned it into what is now the theme song for "Dirty Dancing". los Kjarkas sued but virtually nobody outside of Bolivia would have ever known.

But we can always by Olodum and Timbalada CDs, and if you are in Bahia, CDs like this are every where and very affordable. I brought back 30 or 40 cds for the price of maybe 4 or 5 from Tower. Not much Bahian music, though. There was just too much to choose from.
James M

Postby zaragemca » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:20 pm

The situation you mentined with 'Llorando se fue' is the Lambada,we play Lambada(Dirty dancing).
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby congastu » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:13 am

To be honest, Zaragemca, Brazil was not so much in my head when I asked the question as I understand and respect the situation over there and, anyway, as James said, it is not so hard to get access to the likes of Olodun nowadays.
It was more to do with the fact that even within a fifty mile radius of where I live there are perhaps 20 baterias [professional and amateur] and none of us depend on carnival competitions for survival. Many of us, moreover, are coming up with new ways of playing all the time- taking the samba instrumentation and applying it to the music we hear around us.
This partly comes from the challenge of working with children. I do a lot of work in Toxteth, Liverpool and there is a real problem with drugs, gangs and such like. To make what we do interesting to the kids, we often have to work with the sounds they can identify with- so as well as doing batucada, samba-reggae etc, we also teach samba variations of ragga, drum n bass, hiphop, even garage. A forum where one can share this kind of stuff with other teachers and students would be great: all our voices together can make more difference than apart.
congastu

Postby James M » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:18 am

I remembered that I have a collection of bateria midis on my computer that somebody sent to me from a guitar forum ( http://forums.about.com/ab-guitar if any is interested in that ).

I don't remember who authored them, but they are pretty good. Includes Afoxé, Baião, Samba, Escola de Samba, Bossa Nova, an Olodum Rhythm, Maculelé, Maracatu, Maracana, Frevo, Ijexa, Samba Calls, Olodum Calls, and different variations.

Give me your e-mail address and I can e-mail them to you.
James M

Postby James M » Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:23 am

zaragemca wrote:The situation you mentined with 'Llorando se fue' is the Lambada,we play Lambada(Dirty dancing).

You know your stuff, Z. I'm not a big fan of the lambada, but I'll dance to it! That fiasco is a blemish on an otherwise outstanding music tradition for Brazil.

Edited By James M on 1080711382
James M

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:33 am

Hey James, could you send me those midi files? I will PM you my addy..
BTW where are you loated?

T
Tonio

Postby James M » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:45 am

I just sent you the files, and I'm in Austin, Tx
James M

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:50 am

Thanks James!! I'm in San Diego.
T
Tonio

Postby James M » Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:04 am

There are alot of west coasters around here. At my other forum, most are around the NE. I can't wait to get out of this city. Traffic is horrible.
James M

Postby mco » Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:37 pm

For some nice samba bateria arrangements, check out the book "Brazilian Percussion", by Gilson de Assis. In it are bateria arrangements for up to 11 voices, including batacuda and some samba reggae based on rhythms from Olodum and Ilye Aiye. The book comes with a CD on which you can hear the arrangements played. There is also a lot of info about playing technique. I purchased my copy from http://www.learnaboutmusic.com.
mco

Postby Tonio » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:56 am

James, thanks for sending the zip file, but it was empty?

T
Tonio

Postby James M » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:51 am

That's weird. I'll try again.
James M

Postby James M » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:55 am

James M

Next

Return to Open Discussion