Disillusioned Conguero - Thinking of giving up

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby mangorockfish » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:28 am

I've been trying to learn to play congas, with a teacher and all the stuff I can pick up on my own, for about 10 months. I know it takes a long time to get past the beginner stage. I've been playing drum kit for about 40 years and I look at where I am on it and where I am on congas and get very frustrated. I am always asking myself, "What's the use"? Do any of you ever get in this frame of mind?, and if so what do you do to get out of it? I'm thinking of giving up and just concentrating on drumset. I play "alternative", "rock & roll" and "accoustic pop". Any help will be greatly appreciated. :(
mangorockfish

Postby congastu » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:56 am

Three words: dont give up!!!
Its like anything worthwhile- theres always going to be ups and downs, but over time the ups will outweigh the negatives.
I always find that I usually feel flat and stale [like Im going nowhere] just before something clicks and you move onto the next level. Its almost like youre just waiting for your hands to catch up with your mind and ears, so take this feeling as a sign that your getting better!
As far as playing out goes, we are not always in control but your more likely to make your own luck by just working hard. Beware comparison and think about what you want from this beautiful instrument. Believe and itll come. Dont fight the drum- it may sound cheesy, but if you love it, itll love you back.
Good luck, brother!!
Peace and love, stu
congastu

Postby RayBoogie » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:29 am

Great advice Stu. You hit on something that I had and I believe a lot of drummers suffer, "the comparison stage". As Stu states, think about what you want from the congas. Eventually, the congas will respond to you in the way you want it to respond. "DON'T GIVE UP!"

Just learn the basic then you put your own flare to it. Everyone cannot sound like Giovanni, Mongo or Patato, but you can take what they have to offer and make it yours. So, I say Mango, continue that journey man, you never know where it willl and may take you.
RayBoogie

Postby Johnny Conga » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:12 am

YO MRF...you've been playing for 40 years now,your not gonna stop now, so fuggeddaboutit!...as far as getting bummed out on learning to play the conga,it is the nature of the instrument, to make you or break you. Put it down for a few days and give it a rest and let what you've learned sink in. Just play with your minds eye for now,and give the hands a rest. Then go back to the drum and give your self a small challenge to achieve on the conga, a pattern you've been wanting to learn or just playing one thing over and over to see how long you can play it, as examples. Try timbales if you have a set.Your a drummer and they are drums, just as exciting to play too..... :D JC JOHNNY CONGA....
Johnny Conga

Postby Johnny Conga » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:18 am

I can tell you without going into detail that I was so dissalusioned as a "working musician" as a "sideman",that I actually put the drum down for a whole year and became an assistant manager of an Al and Ed's Car stereo joint in North Hollywood-CA. But I couldn't stay away. I was ready to do it again and it was the last time I ever felt like that again, even when I was homeless in Miami in 89, I still found gigs.But you have to read my book to find out how it all went down..... :;): JC JOHNNY CONGA...
Johnny Conga

Postby CongaTick » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:45 am

MRF:
Been playing since the 70's and have lived the highs and lows. The "comparison blues" are always lurking. Some nights I fight the drums and "try to play" the drums, and some nights I am just the instrument by which the drums speak through my hands and heart. The drums are an expression of your soul and the soul demands you be gentle in trying to unlock its secrets. JC's advice is wise, Back off a bit. Relax. It will be okay.
CongaTick

Postby stlouieray » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:27 pm

I certainly have my ups and downs, as well. I would say don't give it up, but just give it a rest, from how your current play/practice schedule is set-up; then, go back to it.

For me, I enjoy practicing: Because I have lots of musical scores to reference, and when I practice for an hour or so, I usually am able to come up with 15-to-20 min. (of any practice session) with some pretty solid grooves - and that makes me high and keeps my hopes up.

Believe or not, 1 thing that I think hurt me, just recently was: I was playing out 3 nights a week, and I cut down my practicing, to the point that I stopped, because I thought all the work was keeping me fresh. But what really happened was, every night I played, I was playing the same songs over and over, and it almost put me to sleep. My drive, interest, and overall creativity on the drums went to ####.

I stopped playing out so much, and I've returned to the gym (so to speak), and now, feel my drive again.

Stick with it my friend, just modify how you approach your congas, with your play/practice time, and see if that helps you.

Ray :cool:
stlouieray

Postby Tonio » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:11 am

mangorockfish....
man, how I sympathise with you!!

Ya know, playing the kit for 40 years has got to say something about you.

#### ,JC being homeless in Miami(sorry I did'nt know about that!) and still playin'.

Congueros deal with split skin, callouses, sore joints etc.. maybe the same as a kit player to a degree, but why? Because we love the instrument, the history, the comradre. did I miss anyhting? :;):

If its any consolation, many will say to relax for while, but you know, sometimes, you just have to look at what you're doing.
Trying to master tipico stuff?, well get away from it, try some funk , rock, jazz, whathave you. really. Even you kit work seems to be in a certain vein no? Try something different with kit and congas, sure take a furlow, but listen to whats out there, take in what the tune, yes TUNE, is telling you. Doesn't matter what tune it is.
That's where when everyone says to take a break, do so, but listen first with all your heart!! And take it in, digest, and play it my man!! PLay the song, not the drum.
Sometimes, I get sick of trying to record myself for some kind of satisfaction. Sometimes its cool, sometimes I get so sick of it., Sometimes I just want to play till my hands bleed, and regret it later. Sometimes I'm so lazy I can't even hold a tumbao for a minute.
####...

Look at it in another window.

Listen to Santana, Tito, Mayutto(w/ Donald Byrd-thats a hot one), Mongo, Sheila E(#### it'll piss you off-she a female), doesn't matter.
Listen to your heart!!

T
Tonio

Postby mangorockfish » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:20 am

Thanks for all your encouragement. Yours along w/my wife's, I am going to keep on keeping on. I know that it is going to be a long hard road, but nothing worthwhile is easy. As they say, "If it was easy, everyone could do it." I know now that when I get down about praticing and not being able to do something, all I have to do is call on you cats. You seem to be there at the most required times and for that I am greatful to you all. Again, "Thanks to each and every one of you who responded to my cry for help in a positive manner".
Mangorockfish
mangorockfish

Postby Raymond » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:04 pm

Mangorockfish,

It is normal to hit "walls" when you are trying to learn something. A "wall" means that you have hit a "peak" or reach a point that you need to do it a different way or try something different. That wall could be psycological or physical.

Don't give up. Stand back and look of what are you doing that might be wrong. Take a couple of days off or watch others do what you are trying to learn and see if you could find a different angle.

What are you going through it happened to me. Your personal standards might be too high or you are too desperate. I learned long time ago that not all of us are naturals and not all of us "grasp" or learn things in the same way. Try to identify what might be wrong in your case and go to your basics again. By doing that you will most likely find a 'motivator'

When you are trying to learn something it is important to see improvement. If you do not see it, most likely you will lose your motivation. Go back and see what might be the cause and I bet you fill find your motivation again once you see improvement....

Don't give up! What you are going through is normal....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnR » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:46 am

I had some experience with the drum kit as well as congas in my younger days. Big difference with congas, and one of the motivations for regaining interest in playing in my older years, is the personal connection with the skins and the individuality of tones and styles.

On the drum kit, you are not manipulating the heads, you are manipulating the sticks, which in turn are producing the sound according to your control of them. If two comparable percussionists play the same strokes on the same drum kit, they will sound virtually identical. Not so with the congas.

Because there is this individuality with the sound of each conguero as well as such a wide variation in tones of different conga sets, you may be experiencing the frustration of not being able to get the same sound that some professional you are listening to is getting. This would be equivalent to trying to sound exactly like a particular singer if you are a vocalist.

But it is this same individuality that keeps the congas alive and active in modern music despite their ancient roots. You will eventually reach a point where you feel that you are actually creating your own music, your own sound, releasing your inner self, not just playing somebody else's song.
John Richard
aka Juan Ricardo
JohnR

Postby muddy323 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:11 pm

My congas are 27yr old..i didnt play them for 6 years. The music i wanted to play, change to the Blues, so i studied and played the harmonica in local Blues bands for those 6yr...I went back to congas and percussion, thru Jazz and Neo Soul, cause that is the music i had a ear for at this time in my life. Now it's bass guitar and percussions now. Continue to practice different rhythm's and you will find you own sound.
muddy323

Postby denardoh » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:37 pm

JohnR wrote:On the drum kit, you are not manipulating the heads, you are manipulating the sticks, which in turn are producing the sound according to your control of them. If two comparable percussionists play the same strokes on the same drum kit, they will sound virtually identical. Not so with the congas.

I love everything I read here - except be careful talkin' smack on set guys - we have feelings too : )

Of course EVERY player sounds different - no matter the instrument. I've been playing set (rudimental, traditional grip) for fifteen years, and yeah, I got my own style. That's where the love is: spending time getting good and using those skills to provide happiness in your life. That's it.

I just started playing congas (and I bought the wrong drums), but for me it's all about coming home from work, looping a 2-3 clave, and chillin' out on simple grooves and exercises. Play each for a half hour and nail it down. And just as I feel I have developed nice skills on set - it's going to take me fifteen years to make my brain control the palms of my hand.

It's all about what you love and what makes you happy. The quest for excellence always has hurdles - as with athletes or scholars. There have been months on end where I don't touch my drums - like my fire has dimmed. During that time I find myself substituting the love temporarily with something else (fishing, cycling, etc...).

You may realize you do not enjoy playing... I doubt it. You just need a break. You need some time away. Then walk up to those drums like it's Christmas morning, and you are ten years old - and your only goal is to revive the passion that got you here.

Good luck and never stop drumming. Ever.

your conguero-in-training, DH
denardoh

Return to Open Discussion