Passion for Congas

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby enrique » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:19 pm

My 2nd post after asking for advice on a beginner set.

If some of the experiened players would please give some feedback on where their passion developed to play.

For me, Ever since I was a child growing up in a family of salseros I have always had the passion to play congas but never did, seriously. I learned how to play Bass as a child and grew up playing in my Uncles Salsa band as a back-up but I always had the passion for Congas and that is why at the age of 32 I have finally decided to do it.

I am just hoping that once I get started I won't get discouraged as I did as a bass player. I stopped playing the Bass 10 years ago and never picked it up again.

Edited By enrique on 1092766946
Enrique
enrique

Postby akdom » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:13 am

Hi Enrique

You should not have any problem since you played salsa already and the bass which is very important in any kind of music.
Don't feel discouraged, you are half way there already.

See ya

Big b
akdom

Postby zaragemca » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:49 pm

You already said that it started when you were a child,so go ahead and fulfill that burning desire,Gerry Zaragemca.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby dvon » Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:02 pm

Hi, there... I´m also a newcomer to conga playing... My story is a little awkward... After almost 20 years of listening only to rock (and even heavy metal, jejeje :D ) I met the woman, from Cali, Colombia, who would eventually initiate me in the Salsa scene... jejeje..(for those of you that don´t know, Cali is like the Salsa Capital in Colombia), so I started listening to salsa, and most importantly, I had to learn salsa dancing... after that everything has been quite fast: first I bought my bongos (at the same time my best friend bought his Timbales), and after a time (more than a year) I knew I had to buy my congas... and well, I know I´ll never be as good as the guys that participate in this forum, who have being playing for a lifetime, but I really enjoy just reading what they have to say to newcomers like me, and of course, I REALLY enjoy playing my congas... so life is really something: 5 years ago, I would´ve bet against the fact that I would be listening to salsa the whole day, and playing congas on my spare time...good luck!!!
dvon

Postby yalla » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:42 am

Hey folks! We've got another rocker redeemed!!! Welcome dvon! And thanks to the woman who got you on these tracks!
:D :p :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
nadie se salva de la rumba
yalla

Postby akdom » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:28 am

Ahhhhh Cali...

I hears so much about this place but I've never been there...yet.

Well, I am a new comer too, but I guess I can welcome you too Dvon.

Big B
akdom

Postby dvon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:46 pm

Jejeje, thanks for the welcome... Well, Cali is really something, eventhough the new generations of Caleños are more into other popular rhythms. I´ve never been to a Feria de Cali (that goes from December 25 to January 1st) but they say its wonderful... Well you´re all invited this December... I will be going to my first Feria, if everything goes as planned.
Good luck to all!
dvon

Postby zaragemca » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:06 pm

I remember performing with a colombian band for around a year,it was Ballenato.Welcome to the forum,and to the percussion world.

Edited By zaragemca on 1093018076
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby dvon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:44 pm

Thanks again...
Did you perform with a group called Ballenato? Or did you play the rhythm called Vallenato... really interesting... the only person I know had congas on their "vallenato" setup is Carlos Vives, that had a percussionist who´s called, here in Colombia, "shangó" or "changó" (I guess something like Changuito, jejeje...). A friend of mine that recorded with him tells me that the guy is an amazing conguero, and a very young one also, now living in LA, I think... maybe one of you guys know him... The other traditional percussion instruments in Vallenato are called "Caja", different from the afrocuban instrument we all know, and the Guacharaca, that´s a metalic güiro, like the one used for playing merengue.
dvon

Postby kinoconga » Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:01 pm

Enrique:

Welcome to the Conga Board!
Glad to hear your enthusiasm for the "Tumbas" or "Congas".
We are very fortunate to have this forum were experienced percusionists musicians and instructors like Johnny Conga & Tamboricua (Jorge Ginorio), among many others participate frequently.
This forum has greatly help me improve my appreciation for the Afro-Caribean Rythm's and playing the "Tumbas".

Also, two books that I treasure greatly and recommend to everybody (regardless if you play piano or not), "Salsa Guide for Ensemble" and "101 Montunos" by Rebecca Mauleaon have greatly help me develop my understanding of the Latin Rythm's.

Enjoy and good luck.

Saludos,

KinoConga
KinoConga
kinoconga

Return to Open Discussion