Beginner - Looking for advice

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby enrique » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:48 pm

Hello all,
I have been wanting to play congas for years and after practicing the basics on my desk and everwhere I get a chance, I have finally decided to to buy a beginners set.

I have been looking at all the sites that sell congas and almost bought a set until I found this forum. I would love some feedback on getting me started.

Please tell me if I am crazy but these were my top 3 choices in order of preference.

1 - Mountain Rythym 10 and 11 Inch Havana Congas
2 - LP Aspire Wood 11 & 12
3 - Meinl Headliner Congas With Basket Stands Vintage Sunburst (I like this one bcuz of the 12)

I am on a budget so $250 is max for me, but will definitely upgrade as I go. Please help!

Thanks everyone

Edited By enrique on 1092765064
Enrique
enrique

Postby akdom » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:14 am

No time for you but contact me by email or wait until I come back

See ya

Big B
akdom

Postby Shu! » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:48 am

Hey, man, i don't like LP aspire.
So, i I've bought my congas in France.
"La Bagueterie" 10 & 11- very good congas for beginners.
Shu!

Postby dvon » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:49 pm

I´m also a beginner: I bought a set of LP Aspire 6 months ago. As you can see in the LP catalogue, the dimensions are a few inches smaller than the standard congas (conga, tumba and quinto), so you should take this into account, when comparing with the other brands you mention. I´ve been able to play with other brands, and the sound is better with the other ones. What I really dislike about my Aspire congas are the heads... if you´re going to buy the Aspires, change the heads as soon as posible... I´m doing that in a couple of weeks, and in a couple of months I´ll upgrade my set...
Good luck!
dvon

Postby Raymond » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:36 pm

Recommend you check one of the latest topics here in the forum (in which one I do not recall but it was advise about the Pearl Primero and Toca Player Series congas).

In my opinion, if you are going to get a beginner's set, that most of us do not recommend for various reasons (see our postings about it), the best out there in my opinion is Pearl's Primero. The quality of the hardware and heads is much better than LP Aspire or even Meinl's Headliner series. I think is about $30 to $40 more than the LP Aspire but much better.

Again, check the post I mentioned before...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:26 pm

I would recommend a set of LP Matadors 11 inch conga and 12 1/4 tumbadora.."JC" Johnny Conga..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby akdom » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:44 pm

Ok, just a few words.

I have a pair of Meinl marathon series (quinto and conga) and I am really satisfied with them. I bought them secon hand 8 years ago and they are still alive. The hardware is veru strong even if it is an old design.
They originally were bourgundi (spelling??) color and I sanded them about 2 years ago and re sealed them. They are now natural wood color.
The sound is just great! And they are very strong! I moved around many places with them and they till sound and look nice.
The original skins broke a few years ago and I replaced thm with naturl cow skin (I actually bought a skin at a slaughter house). The sound was amazing. Then a huricane destroyed the skins again and I had a friend bringing me some natural skins from canada. The skins were flat, not pre molded and they sound very good to.
So, I can only recommand this brand and serie. I guess the new series have to be even better.

Hope this will help...

See ya

Big B
akdom

Postby franc » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:19 am

i'm with ''conguerro mayor'' johnny congas. for beginners the best ''matador'' any time!!!:D
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Return to Open Discussion