Chano Pozo

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby zaragemca » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:13 pm

This is to clear the record in relation to Chano Pozo...Even when Chano was making money in Cuba with the Conjunto Azul(playing for Radio Cadena Azul),and with the dancing-school(together with 'manana' Agustin Gutierrez)ex-bongocero of Sexteto Havanero and Sexteto National,he was making some money also in relation of Miguelito Valdez's recording of Chano's songs in the U.S., and it was Miguelito Valdez which send him the money and the invitation to come to the U.S.( this by his sister Potrona Pozo), Chano went to NY with Caridad Martinez(Cacha) with was his wife at that time(this is the 'mulata' which was mention in prior posting,'Cacha' was living with Chano right until his last day which she remember clear.Also by his own sister Chano was told by the 'Orichas' in Cuba that he has to do something before going to the U.S., to which he said that he would do it when returning from the U.S.,but after the success he got with the recording and playing he didn't return to Cuba to get 'iniciated'(according to the history, to do Chango).So it is coincidece that he was killed on Dec-3rd-1948?, one day short of the celebretion of that Oricha( Chango) in Cuba.Eusebio Munoz(cabito) shot Chano Pozo with his revolver in relation to prior fight between them.It is said that when Chano was killed hi had around $1500 dollars in his pocket and around $15 000 in the band.Also it is true according to Dizzy Guillespie that when Mario Bauza presented Chano to Dizzy he was playing with at least more than tree congas(may be to show up or whatever),but yes Chano did plays with more than tree congas at that time.

Edited By zaragemca on 1094309315
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:23 pm

Hi Zara.....I don't believe that Chano played 3 congas in Dizzy's band. there are only photos of him playing one maybe 2 congas, with Dizzy. the first Conga layer in the U.S., to use 3 congas was Candido. Chano was killed over a 5 dollar bag of marijuana. Te fight was because Chano thought that the dope dealer ripped him off on the weed and he wanted his money back. The dealer said no, at that moment Chano punched him to the ground and took the 5 dollrs out of his pocket . It was later on int he day when the dealer came back and shot Chano in the back while he was dancing in a restaurant to the "jukebox" music. I have heard Chano on record playing 4 congas and singing at the same time. One of my teachers new him personally and had the "demo" recordings he m,ade at the Spanish Music Center in Manhatten back just before he died. this is the story that Machito told because he was a witness to the situation....."JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:11 pm

Saludos brother JC,I got that info in relation of why 'cabito',and Chano Pozo did fight,I just didn't want to go that far on it.In relation of Chano playing more than three congas the date he did meet Dizzy,it is Dizzy himself who said that in the interview,(that is the reason that I said in the post,'to show up or whatever'),may be he wanted to impress Dizzy,I don't know.A witness to the situation which was in that Bar(Club),said that yes,Chano was listening the jukebox,but when 'cabito' came in he switched around and face him 'cabito',to which he shot Chano right in the chest(not in the back),and when Chano was still moving in the floor he did fire it several more times.

Edited By zaragemca on 1094581476
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Return to Open Discussion