Check out this video

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Miguelo » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:41 pm

Go to:

http://www.congahead.com?Movies?menu.html

Click on the movies and then, check out the Giovanni video second from the top on the right. Enjoy!!!!!

Miguelo

Edited By Miguelo on 1096123341
Miguelo

Postby windhorse » Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:03 pm

Yep,, He's not from this world is he??

Somehow, after watching a Giovanni video, my quick rolls always speed up just a fraction... :D

Every happen to you??

:laugh:
windhorse

Postby Miguelo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:54 pm

:D Yeah he is something else. I don't think anyone out there can touch him when it comes to athleticism on the cueros. However he does get ahead of himself when playing a groove. Which is a no-no in a Salsa type band.

Miguelo
Miguelo

Postby niallgregory » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:07 pm

giovanni is the most exceptional conguero on the planet bar none.Some dont like his style but as far as technique goes he can not be faulted.His power and speed is relentless.How anyone can say he speeds up in a salsa situation is beyond me.Niall.
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby mjw » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:46 pm

hmm - Gio's not the only one to 'get ahead of himself' on occasion. One only has to listen to Roy Hargrove's 'Crisol' CD to hear some of the greatest names in Afro-Cuban music overdoing it and squeazing all of the coherence and 'flow' out of a selection of tunes ... IMHO :)
mjw

Postby Miguelo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:04 pm

niallgregory wrote:giovanni is the most exceptional conguero on the planet bar none.Some dont like his style but as far as technique goes he can not be faulted.His power and speed is relentless.How anyone can say he speeds up in a salsa situation is beyond me.Niall.

That is because he does! He is a remarkable soloist but he cannot stay in a groove. It is not an uncommon occurance. He would not fit well in a Salsa type band and they would tell you: Look papa who play great! But if you cannot stay in the groove (si no puedes afincar), you is out!
Miguelo

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:52 pm

Giovanni has no groove???? What are u kidding me? I won't even touch this. Listen to him Live at Birdland with Dave Valentin. Or when he played with Eddie Palmieri, he was and is all about the groove. Now Ritchie Flores is the one to me that has no groove, too "spastic" on congas....."JC" Johnny Conga...ps ...though Ritchie is kinda cooling a bit down now....
JohnnyConga

Postby Miguelo » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:38 pm

Johnny:

With all due respect. It is just an opinion and I am the one that posted the link to the video. He is phenomenal in the sense that I described and a very exciting player and soloist. Whenever you see him he is just that, a soloist and a great one but not in a Salsa groove sense. Not like Barreto for example and I think Gio is a much, much better performer than him. If you want to see what I mean by my statement, and it is just an example that comes to mind, check out the conguero for Paquito Guzman on the tune Cinco Noches. The dude is a metronome.
Have you seen the Calle 54 video with Gio and Tito? ¡Se le fueron los caballos! You can even hear Hilton Ruiz speed up just to catch up to him.
As far as what someone else posted of being the best........... I don't know. That is a broad statement. There are some bad congueros out there.
Respectfully

Miguelo

Edited By Miguelo on 1096404104
Miguelo

Return to Open Discussion