effects - which 1's

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby pidoca » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:16 am

g'day from OZ.

I would like some advice and information.

Has any one used effects pedals to change the sound of their percussion instruments; either in the studio or live. i am interested in having some sort of "guitar effects" processor that I can use with my feet. Much like a guitarists does. I am wanting to use it during a regular gig with a D.J.

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
God Bless
Richard Cabrita
http://www.cabritamusic.com
pidoca

Postby zaragemca » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:48 pm

It would depends of which is the percussion instruments,and what effect you want to add.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby pidoca » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:37 am

i was thinking of mainly the congas, I don't know which effect as I have not tried it outside the studio. In my minds eye I can envisage some wierd and wonderful sounds. And because the overall sound will be dependant on whether I am playing a tone, slap, bass, etc... etc... I think it has the potential to be some thing spectaculer.
pidoca

Postby zaragemca » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:33 pm

I have a friend which had a multi-percussion electronic pad(those played with sticks) and he was trying a few things out.
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Sonorito » Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:31 am

I did something like that with an analog synthesizer some 30 years ago. Sounds like tuned churchbells, riffs from brassbands, cellos, melodic thunder and so on. The clue was to use contactmicrophones and preset (program) the syntheziser, define some signals and allocate them a place on the keybord, and then start and stop sequenses with a very frequency-redused signal (a very dry slap sounding more like a rimshot om snares than anything else).
But after a while I did not need the congas anymore. A pair of electrified (and isolated) spoons did the job and my interest in this evaporated... ???
Sonorito

Postby straps » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:33 pm

I have used (borrowed from my guitar playing roomate) a Loop Station pedal, digital delay pedals, and a whammy pedal before just messing around in our studio. I tried it with congas, running the pedals through an effects loop through a mixer. It was fun, but the best results I got was with my djembe. I have also used a guitar contact mic on the cabaca of my berimbau and ran that through a digital looping program that my friend altered on the fly with effects and loops in a performance art piece I did. I lost the "wah" effect because of the sound coming from the body of the gourd instead of the air in and around it, but it was still pretty cool.

The tricky part of doing live effects on percussion is that the persussionist needs access to his mix before it gets to the sound guy. This might mean getting a personal mixer and your own mics for just your gear so that you can create your own effects loop. Although, I would almost recomend having a small mixer and mics for your self any way, just in case you come upon a gig where they don't have enough space on the board to accomodate all the mics you would like to use on your rig. Plus its nice to have control over your own sound.

Anyhow, happy experimenting.
Take care, be good, and spread some around.
straps

Postby pidoca » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:22 am

thank you all for your help. I agree that as a percussionist you should have your own mics etc... or you run the risk of being given the old crapy one in the bottome of the mmic case by the soung guy.

I have my own cad mics and yamha desk and will be running the effects through the desk as an aux send back to the line. and thensend the whole signal to the sound guy.

Thank you once again

richard cabritacabrita music
pidoca

Postby clownmanus2000 » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:46 pm

I use a"Korg Kaoss Pad" with bare feet.
clownmanus2000

Postby pidoca » Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:47 am

hey guys, I have finally narrowed down the field as to which way to go.

option 1- a moogfrogger pedal, it runs in balanced out puts with the capability to have 4 expression pedals off it.

option2- clavia nord micro modular, an analogue synth. youcan vertually do anything off it. and then run a midi pedal to change effects and expressions.

adrenalinn- a guitar effects unit, but very versitile and with a sequencer and other little bits chuncked in. sound good from what I hear.

filtered coffee - created by analogue solutions, a great little one rack unit similar to the nord in capability.

KS rack - by novation, a desk top unit. anologue modeling. as apossed to a true analogue unit.

I will have to let you know which way i go. I will trying these out in the next month, and will then make my decision.

God Bless
Richard Cabrita
http://www.cabritamusic.com

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 030008.JPG
pidoca

Postby pidoca » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:16 am

Gday,

I ihave decided and order which effects pedals to get.

I have ordered one small stone from electrix harmonix. A phaser pedal. Not an analogue pedal but it can take a microphone. Originally made for high Z guitar signal. I will have a 3rd microphone over the congas which will run this effect. this way I can switch from the 2 main mics to the 3rd one with out having to worry about e.q. settings ectc...

the other is an M300 by TC Electronics. A rack effects unit. Similar to what guitarists ue but made for studios. Has 2 routing configurations and a host of effects. If i HAD THE MONEY i WOULD BUY THE fireworkx unit by the same comapny. But it works out to be a neat $5000 in Australia. I will have to wait.... and save.... and convince..... my wife.... better go and buy some flowers and chocolates.

Will let you know soon how it all goes and how I connected it all up.

J.C. - I am still looking for the C.D.'s that you asked for. I will find them for you, even if it takes a while. I havent forgotten.

Ciao and God BLess

http://www.cabritamusic.com :D :D
pidoca

Return to Open Discussion