how do you "slide"? - slide?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby emmett » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:23 am

Fellow drummers,
Currently, I live in the Washington D.C. area. I grew up listening to Go-Go, and loving junkyard and Chuck brown. There’s a technique which is done on the head of the drum called "sliding". Although I’ve tried several times I’ve been unable to reproduce this sound. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. Also, is there anyone out there with any Go-Go rhythms?
Peace
emmett woodard
emmett

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:39 am

Do you refer to the slight dabbing of the middle finger on the tongue and givng the tumba a light open tone and sliding the middle finger across the skin while supported by the thumb to create a "woooooooo" sound?

If so, its a little hard to do on new skins, on seasoned skins its far easier, either way, its like anything on congas, practise makes perfect. :;):

Edited By ABAKUA on 1102754477
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:26 am

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby akdom » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:46 am

Ahhh the slide.....

So, yes, you should wet your finger if it is too dry. The sound is produced by a vibration of the skin under the finger. Try first on your biggest conga. You can also hit the skin first with the opposite hand to make it vibrate and slide your finger just after.
As abakua said, the real technique is practice.

Enjoy,

B
akdom

Return to Open Discussion