Got me a Conga baby! - Pearl Elite Conga in da house

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Mr. NoChops » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:58 am

I just bought my Pearl Elite Conga today. They're this beautiful deep Blue color and the chrome hardware is sort of "un-polished", more grayish in color, and I think they look spectacular. I could only afford one, since it was either the one, or spending my money on a set of LP Aspire's. I did some research on these boards and came to the conclusion that one good Conga is better than two shit ones. Thanks for the advice!

I can't wait to get home! Now I'll have to save up for like another 4-5 months and then I'll get the Tumba to join in.

Long live the dundun godo pata!
I drum, therefore I am!
Mr. NoChops

Postby mangorockfish » Tue Dec 14, 2004 2:46 am

That is cool Bro. When I got mine, I ordered the Conga and Tumba. Then I saved up and got the Quinto. The head on the Quinto is all dark from practicing on it primarily, while the other two are almost the color they were when I got them. I probably should have gotten the Quinto first. You'll do fine with one drum for a while. :D
mangorockfish

Postby Bataboom » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:35 am

Glad you got a new drum, always cool to get new stuff :-)

I have a question maybe I should start a new thread on it, but sense yu guys already mensioned it here I will shoot.

I play djembes I have an 8 inch a 12 inch and a 15.

I am about to embark on a new set of congas so Im trying to learn all I can about them. My 1st questions is how would a person know weather he should get a set with 2 congas/3/4 etc.

I will be new to congas so I dont really know, also that leads to another question whats the quinto,tumba and conga is this like the size difference in them.

ulimatly what would be the best set up for an amerian gospel church hand drummer to get, the set with 2/3/4?

Thanks!
Bataboom

Postby JohnR » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:06 am

Depending on the brand and models the standard head sizes for quinto, conga, and tumba (in that order) are usually 10, 11, & 12 inch, or 11, 11.75, & 12.5 inch in the better models.

Height is usually 28 inch on the economy sets and 30 inch on the better sets. The larger sets give you higher volume as well as better tones. The main options in material are wood or fiberglass, and I think you would want wood for a church group. The wood gives a warmer tone, while the fiberglass gives a sharper tone.

You can play one drum, in which case you would definitely want the Conga, but this will be very limiting in the long run. It would be best to start with at least a two drum set. The third drum you might not use for a long time anyway, until you get your basics down on the two drums.

I first started with a Quinto and Conga set and regreted not getting Conga and Tumba instead. This provides much more flexibility. There are times you will really want that depth of sound from the Tumba, and if you want to play on the high end, you can just tune them up.

When I added the Tumba to my original set, it was such a pleasure to hear the extra richness of tones, and this was with a low-line set, the Aspires mentioned above. They are not the best, but I would disagree with the above discription. They are far from the worst set, also, and I really feel that starting on a lower end set helped to develop my tones, because you have to work harder to get them.

When I recently upgraded to the LP 40th Anniversary set (3 drum), there was a dramatic difference in tone that has inspired me to get even deeper into playing. This is basically a higher line Classic set. If you can afford a grand or so, I would highly recommend either the LP Anniversary set or the LP Classic line three drum set. A two drum Classic set should run about $700, and the two drums should work just fine for you. If you go for the Anniversary set though, get the three drums, because it is a limited edition and you will have a hard time getting a matching drum later.

But if you need to start on the lower end, don't worry about it - go for it. You can learn on anything!

Edited By JohnR on 1104137459
John Richard
aka Juan Ricardo
JohnR

Postby Bataboom » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:31 pm

Thanks JohnR really helpful stuff man!

Its really gonna be up to the pastor as he is gonna be buying the set, I was just getting some info in case I need to have some input on it. Also I would like to get me a low cost set for the house to practice on, I will be able to practice at church but I like to be able to work out my learning at home then let it fly when I play at church :-) I did this with my djembe's and seemed to work out fine.

Just gathering knowledge man thanks a bunch.

Edited By Bataboom on 1104176266
Bataboom

Postby Tamborim » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:56 pm

Mr. NoChops wrote:I just bought my Pearl Elite Conga today. They're this beautiful deep Blue color and the chrome hardware is sort of "un-polished", more grayish in color, and I think they look spectacular. I could only afford one, since it was either the one, or spending my money on a set of LP Aspire's. I did some research on these boards and came to the conclusion that one good Conga is better than two shit ones. Thanks for the advice!

I can't wait to get home! Now I'll have to save up for like another 4-5 months and then I'll get the Tumba to join in.

Long live the dundun godo pata!

My respects.

I would like to offer you congradulations. You have made a fine choice. I too use Pearl Elite congas, of which I have three. I compared them to all the other brands and as far as price and quality, they are among the best. The Elites are serious professional quality instruments. Far far greater than Aspires; which are beginner models.
My congas are in the Raspberry fizz color. Very nice indeed.
The skins Pearl use are also very high in quality.

I see you have called yourself Mr No Chops. Might I suggest you visit this page. They have all the drum rudiments and you can apply all of them to hand percussion.

Remember to relax and focus on getting the correct sounds. I have noticed that ever since the arrival of the djembe on the scene, young congueros at first try for a kind of snare sound in their slaps. I feel this sound lacks depth and sounds forced. A slap is easier than one thinks. Keep your hand relaxed and cupped. Strike the edge of the rim with the back part of your palm heel and allow the tips of your fingers to strike and rebound toward the center of the head. This should cup the air and give you a ((pop)) sound.

The open tone is performed by striking the rim with the palm, just behind the major knuckles. Keep your hand relaxed, but have straight fingers. The tone should be warm and round. Many make the mistake of striking the rim with their knuckles. This negates the elasticity one can find behing the knuckles and results in a flatter tone.

The base tone is created by striking your palm down onto the head towards the center. If playing while seated, use your heels to lift the shell a fraction. This will allow a greater tone to emanate from the drum.

The muffled tone is played by striking the head using the fingers. You want to use the fingers and not the knuckles at their base The strike is pressed into the head to muffle the sound.

Practice these strikes and apply the techniques on the Vic Firth site.

The best DVD for beginners I have seen is this. He takes time to explain in detail how to execute each strike.

I would then recomend the Giovanni Hidalgo DVDs. These are "In the tradition" and "Conga virtuoso."

I wish you luck, and I hope I have been of some help.

Edited By Tamborim on 1104347213
Tamborim

Postby Gemma » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:59 am

Well done indeed Mr NoChops! I congratulate you! I myself do not have any Pearl Congas as, when I started getting into it about 1,5 years ago, I did not have a clue about the different brands and qualities. I started with a set of Meinl Fibercraft Congas (conga+tumba), to which I added a 2nd conga a few months later after seeing Giovanni in his dvd "In The Tradition" play a tumbao with three congas the Carlos Patato style. I do not use the 3rd conga very often but it is very nice to have it as you can use it for variations on certain standard rhythms like guagancó, mozambique etc, or just for my own variations. I also got it for a special price as it was a single one left in the shop (somebody bought the tumba only). Gradually, as I started to get more and more involved with drumming, conga types, manufacturing processes etc, reading a lot about it and testing different congas in every shop I went by and last March at the Musikmesse in Frankfurt, where I live now, I decided to get an additional set of wood congas (LP Classic - conga+quinto). Partly because of their warmer tonality and partly because, somehow, I have become addicted to congas. They just fascinate me. And the trouble is that there are sooo many of them! and most of them, if not all, are great! Some people collect stamps or records, cars, or whatever. In my case I am afraid my passion are congas! If I had enough money I would probaly buy three or four more sets. It is like a drug! Anyway, what I really wanted to say before I got lost in my passionate description is that, knowing what I know now and, although I am very very pleased with all my congas (I forgot to mention that I also have a LP Giovanni Compact Conga and since last week a Pearl Practice Conga for practicing at home), if I had to start all over again I would go straight for the Pearl Congas. I could not say that they were better than the LP or Toca or Meinl ones, but there is just something about them that makes them different. And that is probably it, they are just different from all the other ones. Needless to say that they are, as far as I can tell as an amateur, excellently made. So dear Mr NoChops, enjoy your new Pearl Elite Conga, treat it well and I am sure it will give you lots of joy in return. Loads of fun and all the best for 2005. Gemma

Edited By Gemma on 1104408234
QUE SIGA LA MARCHA, SIEMPRE!
Gemma

Postby GuruPimpi » Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:02 am

[quote]I have become addicted to congas. They just fascinate me. And the trouble is that there are sooo many of them! and most of them, if not all, are great! Some people collect stamps or records, cars, or whatever. In my case I am afraid my passion are congas! If I had enough money I would probaly buy three or four more sets. It is like a drug!

Gemma, ich meine gleich wie dich!!! I don't know if my deutsch is perfect but your thoughts are same as mine. I'm getting my meinl woodcrafts series soon and I already think of buying next congas (propably LP's or I'll check Pearl's Elites at first chance!!!

Gemma, how do you fing Pearl's practice pad, I'm looking for LP compact conga, but I can't get till February, you can use them both at same time?

Fruitfull 2005!

Bis naechsten Mal!

Pimpi
GuruPimpi

Postby Gemma » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:41 am

Hello Pimpi, and all the best for 2005 to you!
Wow! You seem to be even worse than me! You have not got your nice Meinl Woodcraft Congas yet and are already thinking of getting additional ones! In case the ones you're getting are the new Woodcraft ones that can be seen at http://www.meinl.de I would like to express my respect to you then! Congratulation as well! Those are not just incredibly expensive, I tried them at the last Musikmesse and I was impressed. In my view the best Meinl Congas you can get. What LP Compact Conga and Pearl Practice Conga are concerned, well it all depends. They are defînitely two different things. LP Compact Conga is a conga and, if you are able to play at home without disturbing anyone else (neighbors or family members), is a greate thing to have. I am extremely glad I have it. However you have to be aware that, although in my view it sounds great, it has no bass tone and slightly more overtones than a regular conga. But let us be honest, I mean, look at it! It is really a pad, but with what a great sound! The amazing thing is that it sounds so brilliantly! An excellent engineering achievement! I would resume the "not so good aspects" to:a) not to be played outdoors. It just sounds awful. Its sound is much more dependent on where you play it than with a regular conga. It would sound different in your livingroom than in your bedroom or in your kitchen for instance; b) you need a stand; it might annoy your neighbors.

The Pearl Practice Conga is not a conga! I would not even regard it as an instrument but it is definetly a great practice tool. I use it everyday and what the volume is concerned, there have been no complaints yet, not even from my family. You just have to shut the door.

I hope this helps. Have loads of fun with your new congas and a ché

Gemma

Edited By Gemma on 1104753143
QUE SIGA LA MARCHA, SIEMPRE!
Gemma

Return to Open Discussion