Buffalo hide heads - How to improve it's sound

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby dannydrumperc » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Hi guys! First post.

I'm having a problem with the buffalo heads that came with my Matador congas. They have good hi and lo response, but lack of mids. I would like a more meatier open tone. What can I do to improve this heads? Any treatment?

I've also though about changing the heads. I'm very inclined toward Remo's NuSkin heads because here in Puerto Rico rains a lot (humidity :angry: ) and synthetic heads requaire less maintenance care.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
dannydrumperc

Postby Ivan » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:29 pm

Welcome Danny,
I hope you had a great new year!
I agree synthetic heads may be the best bet in a humid climate. We had a conversation about skins a couple weeks back - if you look at the other posts you might find something on our discussion - might also help you...

In the recent year, I was hipped to Mule Skins and have been hooked ever since. Mule Skins are far more durable than the stock skins that come on manufactured drums such as all the big names out there. Sometimes you're lucky with stock heads and other times you're not. It sounds like you're some where right in between. ???

I think there are some Boriquas on this site - maybe they live close to you and can help you out...? Do a conga diagnosis. :D

I think one of the members - Raymond is in PR.

Anyway, for my opinion - Nyuskins are nice, but be picky though. See if where you buy them from will allow you to test them out first. I stronly suggest mule skin. It's good to have both a weather difiant head and nice durable head for the summer and mild seasons.

Paz,
Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby Berimbau » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:53 pm

Sarava' Danny!
This is my first post, too. I live along the Gulf Coast and humidity is a big factor here. Committing what I thought a huge sacrilege, I recently put synthetic remo heads on some old wooden practice tubs in my studio. A fiberskyn on the quinto and a Nuskyn on the tumba. Hey. they were just practice tubs, Right?
Well......even though I'm an old school guy being dragged kicking and screaming into this century, I must admit that the synthetic heads do sound great. I even played these tubs on a jazz gig Saturday and now might even pull the mules off my mainstay LPs. Am I blinded by science? Saint Mongo never said anything about skin on plastic, but I am becoming a believer.
Berimbau

Return to Open Discussion