Pain in Hands day after - Ouch! haha

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby BCongero » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:00 pm

I have just started using Bag Balm. I think it's normally used by people who milk cows... at least by looking at the label that is the case. It's been around for over a hundred years.

In a dry climate like Colorado you really need some good moisturizer.
No cruzado!
BCongero

Postby windhorse » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:01 pm

Howdy BCongero - from Another Coloradon!
Yep, the lack of moisture can wreck havoc especially when you do manual labor and have to use strong chemicals to clean oil off the hands. One of my friends has this problem.
No problem here though because so many people play my drums that the skin oil keeps the heads and hands from drying too much. :)

My biggest problem right now though is my neck, which has been strained from sleeping wrong, but the general stress of drumming with multiple drums has also compounded a general tightening. Have tried a back massager - the hooked stick type, but it isn't enough. ???
windhorse

Postby yoni » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:29 pm

Hi Windhorse,

I get the same thing, must pay more attention to my posture. Try sitting really straight while playing, head up, neck fully extended. True, it's not easy to do playing multiple congas, but it still might help. So might stretching well, before and after.

All the best,
yoni
yoni

Postby Obi » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:08 pm

My biggest problem right now though is my neck, which has been strained from sleeping wrong, but the general stress of drumming with multiple drums has also compounded a general tightening

Do you play seated or standing? If standing, adjust the height of your drums to accomodate LESS bending forward. If you play seated (I do) adjust the height of your stool and the angle of your quinto to give you the most reach with least amount of bending possible.

Take a gander at Yoni's post, it is well said. :)

I would strongly recommend stretching exercises, also I highly
suggest "neck rolling".

On a final note, I will recommend "ambidextrous" playing. A lot of guys who play 3 drums often play just to one side (Poncho Sanchez style) while it is not "wrong" it does often create neck and back strain caused by continued bending to just one side. In other words it doesn't allow you to "sit up straight". ??? Also, the ability to play in both directions from center will help keep your muscles stretched and your neck relaxed. :cool:

Obi
<a href= "http://www.geocities.com/drumrider"> Gahu Productions </a>
Obi

Postby yoni » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:19 am

Hi Obi!

That arnica cream you mentioned, would it be good for muscle cramps, too? Massage is another thing I love for a stiff neck.

All the best,
yoni
yoni

Postby Obi » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:10 pm

Hi Yoni,

Massage is best :;):

The arnica/ shea butter, if used regularly, is a multipurpose cream which provides long term relief from most minor skin, muscle, and joint ailments. However it is thick and "pastey" if you buy it in its natural form.

As for using it to massage your neck...
it is also not the most pleasant smelling stuff, ??? but you can add almond oil or cocoa butter to it to fix that.

(I mix it with Cocoa butter for use in keeping my shiny dome "kissably smooth", but that is another story for another day :cool: ...)

Ultimately, whether you are using arnica or not, the act of massage offers more relief, if only because it feels good...

Obi
<a href= "http://www.geocities.com/drumrider"> Gahu Productions </a>
Obi

Postby yoni » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:15 pm

Thanks, Obi!
yoni

Postby windhorse » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:49 pm

Obi wrote:
My biggest problem right now though is my neck, which has been strained from sleeping wrong, but the general stress of drumming with multiple drums has also compounded a general tightening

Do you play seated or standing? If standing, adjust the height of your drums to accomodate LESS bending forward. If you play seated (I do) adjust the height of your stool and the angle of your quinto to give you the most reach with least amount of bending possible.

Take a gander at Yoni's post, it is well said. :)

I would strongly recommend stretching exercises, also I highly
suggest "neck rolling".

On a final note, I will recommend "ambidextrous" playing. A lot of guys who play 3 drums often play just to one side (Poncho Sanchez style) while it is not "wrong" it does often create neck and back strain caused by continued bending to just one side. In other words it doesn't allow you to "sit up straight". ??? Also, the ability to play in both directions from center will help keep your muscles stretched and your neck relaxed. :cool:

Obi

Thanks Obi!
Actually, I've decided that the drumming isn't the cause of my neck problem.. It was this past weekends skiing and sleeping wrong on another bed.

If I don't work out too long on the drums, then it doesn't hurt. I play ambi dextrous, seat's at proper height.. All those things..

Sitting at the computer is actually the worst!

haha! Guess I better go!
:O
windhorse

Previous

Return to Open Discussion