I HATE RAIN - Moisture... ahhhhh **%$#

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Tonio » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:35 am

Hola, man all this rain is kiling me!! Its been raining far too long

I hate rain to begin with - do you guys feel the same-OK OK , maybe not for you SYTNTHETIC skin players..

when it rain s or gets cold I hate life, I don't want to play at all. :angry:
But of course its a gig I have no choice.

How do you deal with the moisture?

T
Tonio

Postby Obi » Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:04 pm

As one who lives in an overly Humid region, regardless of temperature, I "feel your pain". :( (the coal regions here are at High Humidity whether it is 80 or 30 degrees)

My solution, as silly as it sounds, is good old baby powder. this really helps reduce moisture buildup both on your skins and on your hands.

Let's face it, skin is skin, it needs to be taken care of. The same stuff we spritz on our babies' bottoms to keep them dry & soft works the same wonders for your other "Babies' " skins :cool: !!!

Obi

Gahu Productions[U]
<a href= "http://www.geocities.com/drumrider"> Gahu Productions </a>
Obi

Postby Supa Coopa » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:34 pm

Tonio, have you ever tried putting a lamp(without the shade)on the floor, beneath your congas? A 45 to 60 watt bulb will heat the inside of the drum in about 15 mins. It may also make your heads glow, which is quite attractive on a gig. Unfortunetly, the head is not the only thing to be concerned with on a wooden drum in a moisture or humidity situation. The shell will not sound the same either. So, keep your drums in their insulated bags until you play and try what I suggested. It's an invention you could make money with.

Good Luck;)
Supa Coopa

Postby Raymond » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:48 pm

How to deal with moisture???? Have my ear ready, patience and having a tuning wrench available, and being quick about tuning between songs....(A Joke)!

That is the reason, I have gone "synthetic"....

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Berimbau » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:02 am

Dear Tonio,
My heart goes out to you and all my homies out in Cali. The rainy season is also tough for those with seasonal affective disorder. Gotta have that precious, poetry-inspiring sunshine. I do remember that the rainy season in Cotati my Gon Bops were all flat as pancakes. The only saving grace was meeting Kim Atkinson, hearing Everything You Do Is Magic by the Police on my car radio, and some of Humbolt County's finest. Ahhhh. Back in the day before mortgages! Take heart Tonio! Read some Kerouac, surrender to some Nuskyns, play till you sweat, and have a rum and coke on old berimbau!

Saludos,

Berimbau
Berimbau

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:28 am

If moisture is molesting your skins, like the Tabla players of India, use Baby powder on the heads....it works!.... ps Don't Be Hatin!....."JC" Johnny Conga.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:36 am

wow , this old thread resurected!! :laugh:
Actually got over January's rain. Had a few good weeks, then uh oh we had like 10 inches in february "" Yikes!! This year so far we've had 25inches. Normally its 12 fo thw whole year.

Thank you for the support!! Yeah us Cali folks have it good. Actually this year(winter) I've been more active than usual.

Raymond I hear you about the synthetics- I do use a Fibersyn on the macho bongo. Never have to tune it, and ready to go.

T
Tonio

Postby yoni » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi Tonio!

Light bulb and baby powder! I use these also. Haven't tried light in congas but I put a 40 watt small bulb in my bass darbuka - the only thing that will tighten it on a wet day. Great effect, too. Also checked out tabla players using baby powder - and it stops squeaking sounds when I play x-rays & synthetics on a wet day.

all the best,
Yoni
yoni

Return to Open Discussion