New Website for Latin Jazz Lover's in NY

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby RayBoogie » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:11 am

Come and checkout a new website that will inform about the history of Latin Jazz and I'm pleased to say I'm in charge of the "Events" part of the site. It will give you up to date performance happening in New York tri-state area. If any questions, you can contact me at [email]RayBoogie@hotmail.com.[/email]

The webite is: http://www.latinjazzalive.org
RayBoogie

Postby Richard Groff » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:08 am

Hey Ray,

Thanks very much for taking the time to participate in such a site. Before 9/11 NYC was already "ground zero" for latin jazz (remember the days when that phrase was used in a POSITIVE way...) and its great to see a central location to find out what's going on.
Richard Groff

Postby RayBoogie » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:34 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback.

This Friday "Grammy Winning" Spanish Harlem Orquestra will be performing at "The Town Hall" this Friday! A must see...
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:47 pm

Yo Ray ..have you made it up to the "Sports Bar" in Castle Hill-North Bronx, for the "Sunday Night Rumba"? It's the shit!, bro...New young lions, throwing down....that's the word from mi compay Willie E......"JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:52 pm

Johnny is this "El Ruso"?
ralph

Postby RayBoogie » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:48 am

Yes, JC. I've been there on Sunday nights. The congueros are called "House of Rumba". Really good congueros (young cats)! The Rumbas there are off the hook!! A must go, for those who love Rumbas.
RayBoogie

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:20 pm

Yea Bro mi compay Willie "El Russo" E, he works with Totico and others in the Rumba community. I gave him his first conga and taught him how to play. We have been Bro's forever...since high school....he is a great player now and also a good "gallo" in Lucumi-Santeria. He is usually there too on sunday's . Can't miss him he is white, about 6 feet tall ,almost 300 pounds and white white hair. If u see him, give him some love....peace and Rumba!...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:25 pm

yeah i know about him through Daniel Diaz, Oseiku, also a friend of Willie's whom i beleive you may have run across either in NY, or Miami, in any case i heard Willie's been around, and hope to see him someday to ask him some questions.
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:23 pm

Yea I also know Danny Diaz and we have worked together and jammed on and off for years from back in the 70's...when he was with Harry Belafonte and I was with Gloria Gaynor...I know he is back in NY, Last time I saw Danny was in Miami, where we worked on the Tania Leon production called "DRUMMIN"......"JC" Johnny Conga.....
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:01 pm

Danny Diaz is in NC now, thats where we are at, he's got his group down here...
ralph

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:06 pm

Ok So Danny is in North Carolina now?...waht group does he have? Does he have an email? or phone i can reach him at?...he is a Great player and u should hook up with him if your not already....give him my email johnnyconga@hotmail.com when u run into him, please....Thanks..."Johnny Conga.... :;):
JohnnyConga

Postby ralph » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:38 pm

I actually do hang with him whenever possible, and we get together and rumbear a little, mixing some rhythms together. His group is called Oseiku's Total Eclipse they play latin jazz...in any case one day we were talking and your name came up, he also tells me about storied with Willie, and so forth, so its a small world after all...i'll email you his email address.
peace Johnny
ralph

Return to Open Discussion