take off my ring?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby crashkahuna » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:25 pm

I don't seem to get as good of sound from my left hand due to my ring on my finger. Should I take off my ring (might be impossible) or just not worry about it ?

Thanks
crashkahuna

Postby yoni » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, crashkahuna!

I say DEFINITELY take off the ring. Playing with it will eventually destroy it, the drum and your finger - not necessarily in that order.

All the best,
Yoni
yoni

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:06 am

Remove all rings/watches/bracelets when playing tumbas. Image

Wearing a ring whilst playing will result in your ring being bent, the striking while wearing a ring will result in you getting blood blisters on palm of your fingers which fukn hurt like a mofo.

If the ring is hard to remove, try lubricating it with some dishwasher fluid, should do the trick. If that fails after a good try, heat expands metal, you may have to try running some hot water over the ring and try again.. Though you will burn yourself! :(

Best to try with the dishwashing liquid.

ANGA plays with his wedding ring on, I dont know how he does it, may have to do with that particular finger not striking the conga with his technique, but he is the only conga player I have EVER seen playing with a ring on.

I encourage all my students to remove all rings, watches etc if playing/practising etc.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby crashkahuna » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:58 pm

Thanks for the tips. It didn't feel right playing with ring on. Hope my wife understands.....
crashkahuna

Postby ABAKUA » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:05 pm

crashkahuna wrote:Thanks for the tips. It didn't feel right playing with ring on. Hope my wife understands.....

Tell her its to protect the ring from getting damaged, Im sure she doesnt want you to damage the ring...

Also, Im sure she wouldnt want you to have blood blisters and suffer as a result of having it on while playing...

Another option is to take it off your finger for playing and have it on a chain or necklace around your neck while you play. This way, its still on you and technically you are still wearing the ring! :cool:

If you are beggining in Tumbadoras or playing for extended periods, your hands may swell up and it will be difficult to get the ring on or back off if your hands/fingers have swelled up.

Its in her best interest for you not to wear it while playing the drum! :) Im sure she will understand.

Edited By ABAKUA on 1118416059
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby akdom » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:26 am

Hi there

Your wife will understand lol. Mine does. I always freek out while playing because I just don't want to lose my wedding ring, but as everyone told you in this topic, remove your ring. Gold, silver and other soft metal DO bend and you'll never be able to reshape it corrctly.
Now, I am not sure that your ring is the reason for you sound uneveness (does this word exist in english?). Anyway, it is normal to have a strong and a weak hand. Removing your ring will help with comfort while playing, that's for sure, but practicing and good hand and body position are the only ways to get even sounds with either hands. Don't worry about it, it will come.

See ya and good luck.

B
akdom

Postby yoni » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:15 am

Wearing your wedding ring on a chain around your neck is an alternate idea that could keep the wife happy. Whatever, she must understand that it just doesn't work on the hand of a hand drummer.
yoni

Postby rumbaman » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:13 pm

Take it of and anything else on your wrists or fingers they will eat up your drum heads and your hands or wrist. :;):
rumbaman

Return to Open Discussion