Finally , NYC , here i come

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby pini » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:44 pm

What's up ?

long time since i posted here.
I searched the board for interesting places to go when im in NY that are related to timbales,rumba in the park , timbales lessons , band shows ..

most of the posts are old.

could u reccomend me places related to salsa,timbales to go to ?
i intend to be in new york 2 weeks and wanna get the feeling of all the things i saw just until now on movies (like the great "our latin thing" ).
where can i find people gathered together and play salsa,rumba,timbales congas??

also ... im gonna stay on 112 st.. east harlem .. can anybody tell if its safe there (sorry if i offended anybody by bringing up that question :) )

thanx...

:)
pini

Postby ralph » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:54 pm

pini wrote:What's up ?

long time since i posted here.
I searched the board for interesting places to go when im in NY that are related to timbales,rumba in the park , timbales lessons , band shows ..

most of the posts are old.

could u reccomend me places related to salsa,timbales to go to ?
i intend to be in new york 2 weeks and wanna get the feeling of all the things i saw just until now on movies (like the great "our latin thing" ).
where can i find people gathered together and play salsa,rumba,timbales congas??

also ... im gonna stay on 112 st.. east harlem .. can anybody tell if its safe there (sorry if i offended anybody by bringing up that question :) )

thanx...

:)

there is rumba being played @ Sports Plus Cafe, in the Bronx, sundays like @ 11pm?
Besides that there is a place called Camaradas in El Barrio, where they have live music as well, i think on wed, or mondays they have a jam session...also the Harbor Conservatory is in El Barrio on 104th and Lex (i believe), call them up 212 427 2244, to set up a class...you are going to be in El Barrio, so be careful, nothing is ever as bad as people make it out to be, but anything can happen anywhere (El Barrio is the inner city)...music wise your in the right place...Casa Latina is on 116th and lex, you got the int salsa museum on 117th st, a block away from Casa Latina, and you have more than enough food spots in the area, to stop by and eat a good meal for cheap...

Edited By ralph on 1125424726
ralph

Postby pini » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:20 pm

Thanks.
I wil sure check this places.

More interesting points are welcome :).

by the way : does anyone know how i get in touch with Orestes Vilato ? u think he teached ?
pini

Postby ralph » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:36 pm

orestes is in California, you can try contacting John Santos @ http://www.johnsantos.com, and maybe he could put you in contact with Orestes...
ralph

Postby yoni » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:12 pm

Hey Pini!

Hope you have fun on your trip to New York! Where you're going sounds great. It's probably safer now than it was years ago when I grew up there, but even then it was fine for me, both in Spanish and Black Harlem.
Since we've met I know what you look like, and can tell you most people will probably think you're Puerto Rican anyway, as they did with me. Semites & Latinos - both can look pretty much like the other, I guess. But whatever, should be lots of fun for you!

If you want, feel free to email me - I can give you names addresses of family members I still have there. They may be pretty busy, but may also be able to give you some tips on where to check out good music. SOB club (if it still exists) in the Village has always been a stronghold of Latin music. There is also a group called the "Drummers' Collective", which may still host jams and other musical happenings. Amir Ziv, who may be still involved there, is an Israeli and a good old friend of mine. He may also know what's up musically during your visit. Good to see you posting again; keep in touch.

All the best,
Yoni
yoni

Postby yoni » Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:16 pm

Oh, and if you want to check out who's passing thru the City in performance while you're there, check out the 'Nightlife' section in 'New Yorker' magazine. There are other papers like 'the Village Voice' which also have lots of listings...
yoni

Postby Isaac » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:41 am

Pini, also if you can get up to the
Bronx, I know you'll like
Willies Steak House - Live latin music - good food,
wednesday is latin jazz...Check out Giilberto Colon's
group featuring Nicky Marrero on Timbales - You also
get famous surprise guests sitting in.

http://www.enbreve.com/willies.htm

Willie's Steak House, located at 1832 WESTCHESTER AVE, BRONX, NY Tel: (718)822-9697.

take a taxi up there ! You won't be sorry.

~ ISAAC ~ Rep. JCR pERCUSSION co.
NJ 732-236-8148
Isaac

Postby pini » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:24 am

thanks all,

two more weeks , YIESHH :)

keep sending those tips ... u beat gooogle :)

pini.
pini

Return to Open Discussion