PUERTO RICO - RICHIE FLORES/EL NEGRO CLINIC

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:38 pm

MCO,

The snare is just to complement....Since the 70s it has gone and comeback from the timbalero set up.. What is normally done is that is used for "accents" in the groove in uptempo parts and sometimes event to complement in downtempo parts. Also, used to provide colors in fills.... and to give a "Cuban timba" groove in parts of the arrangements.

There has been albums recorded with the snare in every song providing additional groove in uptempo parts. (The latest that comes to mind are the DLGs albums and Tito Nieves "Otra Cosa"). The snare was used a lot, especially during the "romantic era" of salsa in 80s and 90s...Now they are trying to get away from it since we are going back to the traditional 70s sound. Nevertheless, some timbaleros still have it in their set up because they are playing songs that had it in the original recordings or for the reasons I mentioned before.

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:26 pm

Y a know I've seen a few so called "clinics" and all i have ever seen really is these guys just "showing off" their skills and not "teaching" how THEY GOT THERE!...It's like they don't want anybody to know their little secrets of development, so I'm not impressed cause a guy can play fast, what good is it if he's not saying anything...What did u learn at that clinic with Ritchie and El Negro...really besides the fact u were blown away by their skills did they "teach" u anything????..."JC" Johnny Conga...ps at a clinic here in Seattle with Paoli I asked him to show the 200 people in the room how to develop the left hand and he totally blew me off and went into a "bomba" routine....
JohnnyConga

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:30 pm

Just remember that because a guy can play doesn't mean he "can teach"...In order to teach you need a "method" of approach and really know ur shit....besides having the desire to "share" your knowledge with others and not feeling threatened by them down the line.....okay.....paz..."JC" Johnny Conga..... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:14 pm

JC,

I agree with your point....Giving a clinic is supposed to be instructional, however, some people are not good period in giving the instructional part. (As a matter of fact some people in the public find that part boring..they want to see a show but some are there to be taught something new or somebody's way of doing things.

Again, a clinic is supposed to be instructional besides also been a plug to the brand...Not everybody can do it). What happens is that people think a clinic is a demonstration of someones skills. Yes, it is but not all of it.

Of course, publicly I cannot say who is or who isn't a good clinician.

El Negro is a great clinician...besides having the skills...He explains, demonstrates and integrates everything with demonstation. Also, good a selling the brand...

Agree with you!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:24 pm

El Negro is an "exeption"...what did Ritchie "teach"?????...."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby tamboricua » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:03 pm

A good clinic should comprehend of 50% of playing and 50% of educational material. Also to take in consideration is who will be your targeted audience, kind of hard this days because you might get an audience with many differents playing experiences (beginners thru advance). The key thing is being prepared before hand, a thing that many of today clinicians don't do, they just show up and go with the flow.

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1126901067
tamboricua

Postby dannydrumperc » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:06 pm

JohnnyConga wrote:El Negro is an "exeption"...what did Ritchie "teach"?????...."JC" Johnny Conga....

Richie explained some tumbao variations and how to apply double-stroke rolls to congas in fills. Time was really tight, so he was interrupted when he was explaining his technique.

This is the second time I attend to watch El Negro in clinic and this same thing happens (in the same store). I think they should think about prepairing a better place for this kind of events (maybe a parking lot?). There's much more people showing up than what they can handdle.

I remember I went there to see Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) and there was so much people that they had to prepare a new room for the extra people with projectors from what was happening in the other room - and those tickets weren't free as these ones.
dannydrumperc

Previous

Return to Open Discussion