PUERTO RICO - RICHIE FLORES/EL NEGRO CLINIC

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:31 pm

Just to let you know that Pearl is presenting Richie Flores and Horacio El Negro Hernandez in a clinic at Villa Music, Ponce de Leon Ave, Santurce, on the 12th of September (2005) at 7:30PM.

Tickets are free and could be picked up at the store...Get them while they last...

For some of the guys in Puerto Rico, I'll be there with some of the Pearl endorsers that are here in Puerto Rico. (Check me out and we'll meet).For those who can go...check it out!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby dannydrumperc » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:07 pm

Last night was simply amazing! Richie was on fire. He has an incredible (almost superhuman) speed - made rolls using only his left hand!!! His double strockes and cross-hand were super accurate. This guy has nothing too envy to Giovanni Hidalgo, abosolutely.

El Negro was incredible as always. I saw him last year when he came with Marc Quiñonez and blew my mind in both times. His double-bass technique has improved a lot. In last year clinic he confessed that double-bass drumming was one of his weak points and that he had developed a bad technique, but he sounded amazing last night - nothing to envy to Bozzio, Portnoy or Peart.

The best part of the night was that I had the chance to talk to Horacio and he signed my favorite K ride cymbal!

Hope that Raymond and other members post their reviews too. If any of you have the chance to see this couple on clinic don't miss it.
dannydrumperc

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:48 pm

Sounds awesome.
Im green with envy! :D

Anyone get any pics? Or even better any clips hosted online?
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:56 pm

Sorry guys, I messed up, I posted the pictures of the clinic in the wrong place...I followed the link to the HELP Forum and the "Posting Pictures" thread to get instructions on how to place pictures and posted the pictures there by mistake...Go there....Check them out!!! Some surprises!!!!!!!!!!

Below there is a "taste"!!!!!!!

Again, sorry!

Saludos!

Edited By Raymond on 1126645238
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:02 pm

Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez and Richie Flores, yesterday, September 12, 2005...here in Puerto Rico.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 120007.JPG
Raymond

Postby tamboricua » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:28 pm

Hola Raymond,

Cool pics, thanks for sharing with us! Did Richie and Horacio get a chance to talk and demonstrate some playing concepts to the audience, or they just played the whole time?

Saludos,

Jorge Ginorio

Edited By tamboricua on 1126705157
tamboricua

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:50 am

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing Ray.

Here are the pics from the other thread: (just so they are all together in same topic)

Ritchie Flores:

Great show gave Pearl's own Horacio Hernandez and Richie Flores here in Puerto Rico! Two shows when it was supposed to be one

Here is El Negro.....

One of the surprises of the night....the great Endel Dueno is now with Pearl....

Another surprise of the night, him and Endel were in the second show, (Danny you missed it...I told you to stay)...He is a good friend, however, sorry to say he is not a Pearl endorser (at least not yet)...TITO DE GRACIA....who got on stage and like Endel, he not only played the timbales, he played the congas and the drums....

Here is a photo of all the Puerto Rico based PEARL PERCUSSION endorsers that were present in the clinic, including Richie and Horacio.

From left to right,

SAMMY GARCIA, ENDEL DUENO, Richie, El Negro Hernandez, CUQUI SANTOS, RICHIE BASTAR, and yours truly, RAYMOND CARRASQUILLO

Missing from this "Puerto Rico list" is ANTHONY CARRILLO that we were told just got off a plane from France and could not make it....

ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:16 am

Thanks ABAKUA for moving the pictures. (I got all excited when I finally had a chance to post pictures, after following your advice to reduce in bytes the pictures that did not notice)

Have to admit, I was working coordinating things so I did not see the whole clinics..

El Negro is outstanding with the public...Great speaker! I was present when Richie was demonstrating a new "baqueteo" that was interesting to hear...Also, the speed of Richie is unbelievable...By the way, El Negro is producing a latin jazz for Richie that should be out by Christmas....

Saludos! (By the way, have Barreto pictures for the concert that was last week...I'll post them soon)!
Raymond

Postby JohnnyConga » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:25 pm

For me the baddest cat and most unknown outside of Puerto Rico would be Tito de Gracia...this brother is a MONSTER! player..listen to him on Oscar Cartaya's my friends, my music my time....him and Gio are inredible together....and Tito PLAYS IT ALL!!...."JC" Johnny Conga........ :D
JohnnyConga

Postby dannydrumperc » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:55 pm

Danny you missed it...I told you to stay...

The first show was so incredible that I don't feel sad at all about missing the second. My wife wasn't feeling well and we were traveling by train (my first ride, but she an expert already!), so we needed to leave early.

I'm still amazed with Richie's single-handed roll. That was my first time seeing Richie. I think I have a CD where he played. Definitely I'll be looking forward on him.

But the best part of the night was El Negro signing my K Zildjian ride: "Music is life - Negro". I'm so exited about it that I've told everybody I know to know something about latin jazz. I think I'll hang it on a wall and use it only on special ocassions!

:) :) :)
dannydrumperc

Postby Raymond » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:03 pm

Danny,

I am kidding...you told me...Is OK!

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby dannydrumperc » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:46 pm

Raymond wrote:Danny,

I am kidding...you told me...Is OK!

Saludos!

I know, bro... :;):

Remember the guy I told you who wanted a ticket but at the end didn't came? He was at my house last night, so I showed him the signed cymbal and seated him to watch El Negro in the Another Day at the Park dvd. I said to him: "Look at that... that's what you missed!" :p

Aside, any good recommendations about Richie Flores on record?
dannydrumperc

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:07 pm

Admit I do not have many records of Richie but he has done a lot with Caribbean Jazz Project, and all are good records....There is one record that is blue with birds in the cover that is pretty good. (Luisito Quinto and Dafne Prieto are in drums)...

In salsa, DLG, Swing on and Gotcha (2nd and 3rd album), Celia Cruz La Negra Tiene Tumbao (here with Marc Quinones), and Servando and Florentino album produced by Sergio George (here with Robert Vilera) are good demo of Richie's style ...You will know Richie is there because of the "breaks" and "br br, br" all over the place...Like Marc goes with his abanicos...Richie has those rolls...

His album with El Negro, that Negro is producing, might come out in December. Currently, they are mixing it and masterizing it...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Raymond » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:37 pm

JC,

I second your motion, TITO DE GRACIA is the most underrated percussionist in the world. All around...trap drums, conga, timbales, bongo, name it! One of the most sought after percussionists to record here in PR because of those skills...His timbale solos are unbelievable and fascinating to watch..He could be the fastest cat and give the most fascinating "caminando soloist" (slow/paced).

Here he is with ORQUEST MULENZE on Sunday Sep 11, 2005, when he was asked to get on stage...Gave an amazing solo...

Edited By Raymond on 1126798748

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... 110010.JPG
Raymond

Postby mco » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:55 pm

Raymond,
Nice pics. I noticed what appears to be a piccolo snare next to the timbale set-up. How are timbaleros incorporating this into their playing? Would they play the cymbal and snare as if they were playing a drumset, or is the snare used other ways?
mco

Next

Return to Open Discussion