playing along to my cd's - playing along

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby EDSEG6ES » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:19 pm

I play along to my cd's salsa and latin jazz. salsa is preaty easy to follow but some latin jazz track's seem like there improvising or ad fills over a tumbao some sound very complicated . Also am I playing in clave when for example Im playing a certain song my two open tones for a basic tumbao on a salsa song fall at the same time as the artist playing on the cd for example one of my favorite song's to practice to is Willie Rosario "Arepentidos pecadores " I got down all the breaks and there's even a conga solo part where I practice over the cd's solo. The solo part is taking me a while but Im not trying to play the solo thats on the cd Im give it my own solo. Is this considerd playing in clave since it gets to the point where Im playin exactly where the conga player on the cd is playing?Is this a bad habit or a good way to practice.?
EDSEG6ES

Postby windhorse » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:08 am

I'm assuming that you've learned from some of the great players in the SF area? If so, then you can't go wrong with your practice, since you would know what technique stuff you need to work on. But, if not, then get lessons!
Direct quote from Chris Walker: "All practice - no matter what is always good". Meaning that nothing can substitute for time on the drum.. However, you need the human contact to reinforce good technique. If you're getting that,, then great! Keep on playing to whatever when you're alone!
windhorse

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:21 am

I've been "playing along" since I was 14 and now have a library of material in my head to last 3 lifetimes....I'm 57 now...so there is a lot of music in here :;): my first teacher told me "if you can play what he can play , how good are you?"....you might be good enough to "cop" that solo,the difference is the "experience"(time put in)....so "Play On!"...."JC" Johnny Conga...BTW I know every break/and most solos on every tune on every album that I have....I have over 2,000 albums plus Cd's... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby Raymond » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:51 am

This is good....That's how I started and is not a bad thing to keep on doing...Is mechanical sometimes but gives you a sense of timing. (You'll be amazed how many people can't play when they are "forced" to keep on with a speed).

Not a bad habit, if your neighbors allow it, keep on playing...

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby EDSEG6ES » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:22 pm

THANKS JHONNY CONGA FOR YOUR TIME IN REPLYING , ALSO WIND HORSE,RAYMOND. I HAVE ACTUALLY STUDIED WITH ONE INSTRUCTOR THAT I RATHER NOT NAME BUT HIS FROM S.CALI GOOD TEACHER JUST NOT VERY PATIENT. ALSO TOOK ABOUT TWO LESSON WITH ENRIQUE PADILLA GREAT CUBAN CONGUERO PLAYS WITH LOS MOCOSOS. ONE OF THE COOLEST DUDE'S IVE MET NO EGO TRIPPIN AT ALL. I PICKED UP SO MUCH JUST ON THOSE TWO LESSONS. HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET TOGETHER FOR MORE LESSON HE WENT TO COLORADO FOR SOME GIGGIN.WELL THANKS EVERYONE FOR LETTIN ME KNOW TO KEEP ONDOIN WHAT IM DOIN ALL FEEDBACK IS APPRECIATED . :)

Edited By EDSEG6ES on 1127830996
EDSEG6ES

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:34 pm

Word, like JC, I also have spent years 'playing along' to recordings.
Obviously, I had a few mentors who helped me develop my style many years ago, and also have had one on one's with travelling congueros, but I very much enjoy playing along to recordings. I often spend approx 30 min warming up doing rudiments and exercises, then crank the cd player and play along to, amongst others, Charanga Habanera, Dan Den, Klimax, Bamboleo, Manolito, NG la Banda, early Irakere and various latin jazz/afrocuban jazz compilations.
I also play along to various rumba recordings, playing either parts of guaguanco, columbia, etc like quinto, salidor etc from the likes of Muñequitos, Papines, Yoruba Andabo and various others. Its a great way to keep in shape.
And yes, my neighbours hate me! :D But over the last 15 yrs or so, they have forcefully grown used to my habits. :laugh:
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby EDSEG6ES » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:50 pm

COOL THING ABAKUA.A JHONNY CONGA EARLIER SAID THAT I COULD PROBABVLY LEARN THE ACTUAL SOLOS ON THE PARTICULAR SONG ,THINGS IS SOMETIMES ITS GOIN A LITTLE TO FAST AND CANT REALY TELL WHAT EXACTLY IS BEING PLAYED.
EDSEG6ES

Postby ABAKUA » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:05 pm

EDSEG6ES wrote:THINGS IS SOMETIMES ITS GOIN A LITTLE TO FAST

You should be used to things going faster than you.. You like Hondas. :laugh: :D :p

jokes bro.

ps nismo owns you. :D

Edited By ABAKUA on 1127833531
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby rumbaman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:38 pm

How you guys doin' today all my blessings to all of you . I like playing all types of music . I play and practice traditional stuff like the buenavista social club , and i also like brazilian bossa nova's ,and also rock and blues like stevie ray vaughn . I love to play latin jazz . I like to play anything that grooves .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby EDSEG6ES » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:56 pm

ABAKUA ! NISMO DOES KICK A22 LOVE THE SKYLINES !I AM USED TO OTHERS GOING FASTER THAN ME BUT IM WORKING ON MY MOTOR SWAP, A B18C5 THEN I WILL BE QUICK BUT NEVER AT THE NISMO LEVEL IS ALL GOOD . :D GOOD JOKE BRO
EDSEG6ES

Postby onile » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:50 pm

Alafia Abures!

¡Cuidao! All that playing can be harmful to your health!

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... jiggs6.jpg
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby onile » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:57 pm

On a serious note though, playing along to records is a great way to learn some of the "nuances" of music as they relate to your instrument (congas, bongos, timbales). Hearing the music and figuring out where the congas are in relation to the bass, piano, or timbale is a great teacher of this. Besides, you become the star of the show and no matter how many times you get off meter, you can always start it over!:D

I believe all of us have traveled down this path of learning, since those who had teachers may not have always been able to access them. This was my teacher throughout my adolescent conga years!:laugh:

Much Monkey love!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1127843955

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... jiggs9.jpg
onile

Postby EDSEG6ES » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:45 pm

MR JIGGS IS COOL! A DOES HE REALY PLAY THOUGH I HEARD HE PLAYED AMEAN 5 DRUM TUMBAO :D J/P
EDSEG6ES

Postby franc » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:07 am

onile,
if you tell me he is the best teacher of all time!!! jajaja since his rhythm started million years ago. i have seen them perform in the discovery channel and animal channel. and let me tell you they are great performers. as you can see in your attached images. ''en tumba sin exfuerzo ninguno'' thats' what i call fast hands. can't hardly see the hands strokes, tremendo maestro!!! jajaja. cuidate , mi pana. áche!!! franc :laugh:
ibúkún,ire,
Franc ♪♪
franc

Postby onile » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:29 am

¡Que Locura Papa! :D

I can't say with certainty that I play as good as he does, ehhhhhh but I try!
Como le digo a Senor Jiggs....."defende lo tuyo, para que te respeten!"
(Like I tell Mr. Jiggs........ "handle your business, so they will respect you!")
The translation is for my friend, GuruPimpi who I promised I would be very attentive to doing so when I write in Spanish!

Ache Pa'Ti! Ache Pa' Mi! Mi hermano!

Onile

Edited By onile on 1127964596
onile

Return to Open Discussion