Who Put the Bomp in the Bomparaparamp? - New Rythms

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby onile » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:50 pm

I'm sorry, you're right GuruPimpi!
Loosely translated......"is there affection/love or isn't there?"
I will be more attentive to the translations needed, thanks for finding the humor in my post!:laugh:

Just trying to keep some levity in the situation!

Ache!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby rumbaman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:39 pm

WEPA ....... My brothas' let keep it fun always huh . CUCUPLA..... CUPLA .....

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Postby onile » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:37 pm

¡Ahi na’ma!:D
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:05 am

Ok guys I've got about 2 hours done shooting for my new learning DVD. I Have also decided it will be 3 seperate DVD's, because of all the material I am covering....I will see the first rushes tomorrow and begin the first of the editing and see what to keep or do over, if necessary....for what I am teaching it is not possible to put on one DVD, especially when I still have about 30% more to do, which will take me over the 3 hour mark. I will also be adding as a "bonus", clips of me performing on Quinto,Bata,timbales, congas,and vibes from live concerts. Any other suggestions are all welcome...Im trying to cover as many bases as possible....give me a check list If u like and Ill tellu if Im covering it ok....Thanks guys...."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:43 am

Alafia Mi Hermano JC!
This really sounds exciting to say the least!
The one thing that I would recommend that you try and not do is what Gio did on one of his videos, and that's the "slow motion" effect. If you need to show something over again, please just do it at a "live" slower pace, and not just sloooooooooooow the video down, that was really annoying if you ask me (I know, I know, you didn't ask me) :D
I'm really looking forward to your final product JC! I know it's going to be great!

Ache Brothelee!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1127961970
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:56 am

Way to go JC!

Can't wait!

ideas: Replacing the heads, tuning problems, taking care of drum, renovating skin with Manteca... haven't see anyone to film that...

All the best,

Primozz
GuruPimpi

Postby onile » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:48 am

Great Suggestions GP!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:23 pm

Alafia Ni Onile...No im not doing the slow motion thing. I describe what I am doing and how and do it at one minute minimum on any of the movements/strokes of my hands...I got a great cat working with me, and I will keep ur suggestion in mind when Im doing the rest of it...I started with how to tune a conga drum of course and I will be shooting the placing of a skin on a conga drum. You will be in my home studio/attic with me one on one,this is "off the cuff" and "no" script..I am just following a table of contents, I work better being more spontaneous with my teaching, so it will be like ur there with me. I also give a lot of "theory" on playing which is never covered either, and there is a lot of that which is necessary to be a "good" player...so in some spots I may ramble,but it's all good...hahahaha....It will be in "sections" from tuning to rhythms to clave consciousness,etc....we are discussing a "picture in picture" ,just haven't decided on what we are going to use it for, but most likely for my S.T.O.M.P. method....so today i get the video of what i've done so far to critique and edit.....I will keep u updated....Gracias..."JC" Johnny Conga.... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby zaragemca » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:53 pm

Greeting, I would like the best results for your project JC. keep the drumming fire.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby JohnnyConga » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:14 pm

Gracias mi socio.....pa'lante!...."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:01 pm

Oye Brothel! You are one cool dude with this project! If it were me, I'd be as worked up as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! :D :laugh:

Mira JC!, I can't wait for the final product, it really sounds like you are covering all of the bases which not many others, if any, have! Thank You! Thank you for sharing your skills with us, and helping the next generation of percussionists to grow, and for giving an old dog the opportunity to learn a new trick or twelve! :laugh:

¿Ay cariño o no ay cariño?
Onile!
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Yo Onile ...THIS "ol Dog" may still have a few tricks....Tks again my brother....One of my buddies complained that for me to show how to play a Bolero on congas at least 3 different ways takes away from "traditional" playing...but I show the "traditional" way and other ways that "I" created to play a Bolero.,which came from working with Carlos Pizzaro in NYCity when he was crowned the "KING" of Bolero's.. so imagine doing a gig ALL night just playing bolero's and the band opposite u is Willie Colon's...well to keep from "nodding out" from all these Boleros back to back I got a bit creative and came up with just a "variety" style of approaching Bolero with accents in different places,but with the same bolero feel...basically I'm not gonna listen to him..hahahahah...some cats can't get away from "tradition" and there is nothing wrong with that..for me it's about "versatility" and "imagination"...with "tradition" and KAPOW!!....majinate tu!....My videographer just called to bring me the first rush video of what I've done... now to clean it up, take notes, make corrections, and then next week finish it up for final editing, and so on ....and then hopefully it will be ready....paz..."JC" Johnny Conga....
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:21 pm

Alafia JC!
Oye Brothel! Una noche de boleros.......... :;): zzzzzzzzzzzz!
Estoy vacilando mi pana! I would imagine it gave you an opportunity to "spice" it up playing them as a gig, especially across from a hot group like Willie Colon's group, during that era they were happening verdad? I can tell you brothelee, THIS ol'dog is looking forward to the final product!

I'm very pleased that you are taking on this endeavor, and as you have seen for yourself, many of us on this forum from around the world are supporting you!

Echa Pa'lante mi hermano :D

Con mucho Ire!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1128108312
onile

Postby JohnnyConga » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:53 pm

Once again Mil Gracias...I just finished watching the first 2 dvd's/rushes..I gotta laugh at myself...I will also be adding for a "goof" bloopers....I also need to get some shots from above, basically it is shot straight at me,with drums in front of me. Plus i need to boost the sound for the congas, they could be a bit louder....I also need to condense certain sections...I also added some Mongo tumbaos and the way he played Afro-Blue..for those that don't know how or have never seen him play it his way...it's coming ....it's coming..... :D "JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby windhorse » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:42 pm

Sounds great JC! All the best!

Dave
windhorse

Previous

Return to Open Discussion