Ack! My Wrist!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby rhumbatumba » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:19 pm

Well, I dont know what I did, but my wrist (weak hand) is mad at me. I was playing Djembe a few weeks ago with a percussion ensemble and something in my wrist just started hurting out of nowhere. Has felt stiff and weak ever since. Typically I dont play a lot of Djembe and I have gigs (4 in the next 2 weeks). What should I do... I sit at a computer most of the day and most of my discomfort and or stiffness comes from typing.

Thinking of getting a sub for these next few gigs or maybe just having them park the percussion all together.

Anyone experience wrist pain ever? What did you do. Im my 5 or so years playing seriously this is the first problem I have ever had.
Control, for smilers cant be bought
rhumbatumba

Postby onile » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:29 pm

Alafia Rhumbatumba!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings! Well, with exception to your wrist!

As for the "wrist", if the area is visible to you, you might try "Shiatzu" (the art of Japenese finger massage!). I studied martial arts in my youth, and one of the most meaningful things I picked up from it was the art of healing. How it's done is you locate the injured area, attempt to locate the center of the spot and place the thumb of your free hand on it very gently. The next step is to begin, again very gently , pressing down on the area. Slowly exhaling while applying pressure to the spot. Yes, it is uncomfortable to begin with, but focus on the energy eminating through the injured area. Hold your thumb on the area once you've reached a point of tolerance, then release it, inhaling while releasing it. Move the thumb to another part of the injury, and apply the same amount of gradual pressure for the same length of time, and release again. Continue this until you've gone completly over the injured area. It's sort of like taking a sponge and putting it into a bowl of water, it absorbs the water in the bowl until you squeeze it out, then you place it into another bowl of clean water and the same happens. You begin to "flush" the injured area with fresh blood to help in the healing. It will also take away the lump/bruise if you continue with it.

Hope this helps!

Many blessings!

Onile!

Edited By onile on 1129321892
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby GuruPimpi » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Rhumbatumba!

Don't you just hate that... I wanted to go for a 21km long run (half marathon) on 23. of October, but my ligament on leg has a problem with that...

Have you been hitting hard, not warmed up?
Did you hit your wrist few days ago before gig?

My 2 cents:
It is possible that you hurt your wrist ligaments (muscles) or your wrist joint has some damage.
Usually it's the rest that helps and if you treat the wrist with ice-cubes, wrapped in a cloth (many times a day, for a 3 minutes). You should go to a doctor, especially if the pain is getting worse. You can also try with some cream that grand Pas and Grand Mums are using for their reumatism (Cream should be tagged as anti-inflammatoric and anti-rheumatic). In the states I think it is one called Ben-Gay. Hey, I'M NOT A DOCTOR though and PLEASE ADVISE ONE; BEFORE USING THAT.

Computer typing or 'cruising' around with computer mouse... IT'S a Wrist Killer, if you spend too much time using this.

Rest yourself from a computer (especially if you play computer games a lot :D ) and play the DRUM!

You can move your hand till the pain, don't force it in pain, cause you applying more damage.

BTW: ligaments usually need at least 3 weeks to heal in general.. if you stress it too much after 20 days... again 3 weeks. Pain is the sign for limit...

Hope it helps

GET INTO GROOVE, POINT YOUR ENERGY TO WRIST 15 times a day AND HEAL!

Don't worry!

Primoz
GuruPimpi

Postby onile » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:48 pm

Alafia GuruPimpi!
I hope that you are well my friend and in an abundance of blessings!

That is some great advice! The bad thing is that Rumbatumba may have to let the gigs go for a while in order to truly heal himself. As for warming up, this is very critical, like staying in shape!

How are the teens doing?

Stay well my friend!

Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby windhorse » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:19 pm

My left wrist sometimes get sore, and it's because of old injuries to the wrist from being cleated in football when I was teenager, and from gymnastics when in college.

The wrist has calcification almost like someone with arthritis, so it's really touchy. Most of the stiffness and pain comes from the tumbao with the left hand.

I hope yours gets better!

We're playing tonight, and I just hope I can stay awake!
Problem now is tiredness!

Dave
windhorse

Postby ABAKUA » Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:43 am

Yo bro,

Sounds like you have injured yourself during the act of actually hitting the drum, this can come down to an improper execution of a strike, perhaps without you realising, or simply an insufficiently warmed up muscle.. amongst a variety of other reason, regardless of what was the cause I would have your wrist looked at asap proffessionally by a chiropractor who can perform some therapy on you. You will feel great afterwards.

Tips for the future, seeing as you do not play often, a good thing to do is to warm up/stretch the ligaments and muscles well prior to getting onto the drum.
I highly suggest you check out this thread here:

(CLICK HERE TO GO DIRECT TO THREAD)

I suggest a stretch/warm up exercise I perform prior to gigs or rehearsal. I do a similar version of that stretch when at home practising/jamming on a daily basis. It will help tremendously with flexibility and comfort.
Like any athlete, you should warm up, you dont just tackle a marathon without stretching/warming up etc...
Check it out dude, its discussed in that thread, hope it helps you out, feel free to add or contribute etc.

Once you have had your wrist looked at, and I hope it is nothing serious you have, perhaps get into the habit of being 'warm' before getting on the drum. Its agood habit to get into! :)

All the best mi pana.

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... o_1936.jpg
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby rhumbatumba » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:15 pm

Hello... thanks for all the advice. I already have been using a system for trying to help my wrist fix itself... I have cut downthe amount that I type with left hand... (just typing mostly with right hand).

Also not practicing at all unless I need to.Though practice can be lengthy... 3-4 hours sometimes if we are working up a few difficult obtuse jazz song. I am stretching before and icing after as well as icing at night. Been a few days and dont see any change though :(

This new band has been around a while, but is just getting back into giging again after losing the bass player and the drummer (both moved away). First gig in Nov so they can come up with new tight sound with, new bass, drummer, and also the addition of me. Last night we worked up nice acoustic jazz with no drums on top of Guarapachangeo :D It was tasty. Anyway since first gig isnt untill Nov I can probably take a couple of weeks off to see what happens.

Peace

Edited By rhumbatumba on 1129581496
Control, for smilers cant be bought
rhumbatumba

Postby rumbaman » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:08 pm

Hey how you guys doin' great i hope . This sounds like a problem i had before i started taking lessons . I was actually hurting my hands and wrist , they were from improper hand placement on the drum . The best thing to do is rest it , because its just not going to go away if you keep on playing and agravating it . As for the typing again improper hand placement and rest your arms do'nt go on typing for long periods of time . Do what the streching exercises before you type good look .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Return to Open Discussion