Alex Cuba Band - New Music

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Ivan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:57 pm

Anybody out there pick up this CD yet? If not, I recommend you pick it up... I am enjoying it very much.

You can read about the cd here:
Alex Cuba

I also discovered that Alex released an album a while ago put together by him and his brother... You can read more about that album here... I have yet to find this here in Seattle. If any of you have this album, please share your thoughts...
Morumba Cubana

Take Care, Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby TampabayRey » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:10 am

Ivan, thanks for the link. I will check and see if I can find the album Alex release with his brother. I also had the chance to spend time in belize with a band from cuba playing this style of music. If you privately sent me your address I'll burn a copy for you and mailing out.
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby Charangaman » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:04 am

It's a superb LP, the bongo on "cafe havana" is killer, and the conga's on "baila la hora" (I beleive is the title) also kick arse.
Charangaman

Postby ricky linn » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:54 pm

I've had many lessons with Emilio who plays percussion on this cd when I've been in Havana, great to see him getting work, He's awesome. Check him out on Buena Vista 'the next generation', you'll get it from Amazon I think.

Ricky
ricky linn
ricky linn

Postby Charangaman » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:10 pm

Hey Ricky, any chance you could hook me up with this dude?

I'm off soon to Cuba again and anyone who can play Bongo like that has a lot to teach me..
Charangaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:17 pm

I'm not trying to rain on your parade Charangaman....but keep in mind that NOT all players that play ,can teach or have a "method" to teach....I know some very great players, that couldn't teach , don't want to teach, and have no method of teaching....but I'm sure you'll find sombody in Cuba.....keep us updated....peace..."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby ricky linn » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:50 am

Hi

Emilio is now teaching at the main conservotoire in Havana and is a highly respected teacher. There will be no problem there.

Ricky
ricky linn
ricky linn

Postby Charangaman » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:43 pm

Hey JC, salutations!

I take your advice on board and have experiance of such scenarios... Everybody in Cuba is a teacher of one thing or another...I have been burned..Once!

but Ricky's recommedation is enough for me...

Bring back the Charanga!
Charangaman

Postby JohnnyConga » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:04 pm

Aaaaaaah "once bitten, twice shy"....lesson learned...so true about the Cubans, even in Miami , they are like that...."JC" Johnny Conga... :D
JohnnyConga

Postby onile » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:23 pm

Charangaman wrote:Hey JC, salutations!

I take your advice on board and have experiance of such scenarios... Everybody in Cuba is a teacher of one thing or another...I have been burned..Once!

but Ricky's recommedation is enough for me...

Bring back the Charanga!

Alafia Charangaman!
Yo! so let me axe you sonsin :D
Do you currently play Charanga, or are an aficionado of the music?

I have a Charanga band, "Charanga Melao," and I know that JC has worked with several Charanga groups in his time. I actually grew up listening to more Charanga music than most anything else. I absolutely love the violin and flute coupled with the lating rythm section! It's pure poetry!

I'n tollin' ju sonsin my fren! :cool:
Keep up the love of Charanga!

Suave!
Onile

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... aranga.gif
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby niallgregory » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi Ivan.sent you a pm.But im having some computer problems.Do you get it?
niall gregory
niallgregory

Postby Charangaman » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:32 am

Onile! Que bola hermano?

I love the Charanga more than any format, my favourite grupo always has been La Orquesta Aragon.. I'm listening now "Casarita Villarena"..

I want to be a one man Charanga
:laugh:

I want to assemble a Charanga but it's difficult in London to find violinists who dig la musica Cubana..I'd love to hear your Charanga Melao...

Easy bro..
Charangaman

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:54 am

Hey Charangaman,

If you like Charanga, try to get your hands on some 'Johnny Almendra Y Los Jovenes del Barrio' recordings.
NY/Boricua influenced charanga with much sabor.
I have 3 recordings of theirs that where done when they were at their peak a few years back.

Also, a fair bit progressed from Aragon, but there is also some great work by such Cuban groups as "Enrique Alvarez y Su Charanga Latina", "Orquesta Sublime", for very contemporary and experimental cross over of Timba Charanga, listen out for 'La Charanga Habanera', 'Charanga Forever', 'Manolito Y Su Trabuco'.. there are many many countless others, but those should keep you entertained for a while.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby Charangaman » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:18 am

ABAKUA, greetings.. I think I have a couple of those bits but will certainly investigate the rest, many thanks for that..

Out of curiosity, did you ever include a Flautist and/or violins in any of your bands? Or would you consider this?..

Easy bro..
Charangaman

Postby ABAKUA » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:50 am

Our regular line up with my timba band does not include a flautist nor violinist, however, we have experimented in the past and included a violin in the line up for some gigs to do something different, however, with my other main band, our sax player also plays flute and our trumpet player also plays synths and rhodes, our pianist is also surrounded by 4 keyboards so the potential to create stringed instruments sound is always there. We often experiment with these sounds.

In other side projects Im involved with yes, we have included violins, trombones and flute etc, up until recently there was also quite a happening charanga band here in Sydney, but they have since broken up and gone into other projects involving timba/salsa dura and mambo. Shame, they were fairly tight also.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Next

Return to Open Discussion