Alex Cuba Band - New Music

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby onile » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:35 pm

Alafia Abures!
Ooops! I should have made a disclaimer, the pic I posted of an album cover is just one I had of another Charanga group, not mine!
We've actually been doing well with the "latin jazz" circuit however. I took the charanga arrangments that I have and eliminated the singer, allowed for more featuring of the instruments.
I'm really stuck on mostly the ol'school charanga, Orq. America, Orq. Tipica Novel, Orq. Broadway, Hansel y Raul (Yo! JC I know this must ring a bell for ya'), Charanga Colonial, Tipica 76', Pacheco y Su Charanga, whew! and obviously Orq. Aragon!

To me, after a hard night of electric guitars, and loud horns wailing away just a few feet from your auditory organs, there's nothing better to calm the old cardiovascular muscle down than a heavy dose of Charanga!:D :p :laugh: :)

Oh yeah, Abakua! Los Jovenes del Barrio, "Kick Ars!" my favorite of theirs is "Hechicera"! Puya!

Suave mis hermanos!
Onile!:cool:

Edited By onile on 1130945871
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby ralph » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:35 pm

onile wrote:I'm really stuck on mostly the ol'school charanga, Orq. America, Orq. Tipica Novel, Orq. Broadway, Hansel y Raul (Yo! JC I know this must ring a bell for ya'), Charanga Colonial, Tipica 76', Pacheco y Su Charanga, whew! and obviously Orq. Aragon!

Theres is nothing like the swing of a good Charanga...

Onile, are you familiar with a recording produced by Rene Lopez called "Son Primero", it has Rene Lopez Jr on Tumbador, and Dave Valentin on flute among others some of the best charanga i have heard in my opinion kind of a mix of traditional Charanga with rumba/songo...there's even a bomba/charanga with Alberto Serrano on subidor....i may be getting too specific...i too lean towards the older NY charanga sound although Ritmo Oriental de Cuba cannot be overlooked in my opinion...

Also do you have Charanga 76, "Live at Roseland", i have a friend whose asked me to see if its been reissued and i have never heard it, but according to him it is official....whats your take?

Ralph
ralph

Postby Ivan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:35 pm

niallgregory wrote:Hi Ivan.sent you a pm.But im having some computer problems.Do you get it?

Hey Bro, Yeah I got it! It was very nice hanging with you, so tell me... What'd you think of the group and my playing? Do you have any pointers? The next time you come in to town, we'll have to hang out a bit more... I know you were pretty beat, but I really thought you would have enjoyed that Friday night gig I had... Hopefully the next time you come in to town you'll be able to hang again.

Take Care,
Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby onile » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:16 pm

Alafia Abure Ralph!
I hope that you are well and in an abundance of blessings!

I remember a Rene Lopez (trumpet player right?), is this his son? Anyway, no I haven't heard "Son Primero", I'm sure that it must sound great anyway! I'll try and look for it.
I found a site where Charanga 76' Live at Roseland can be purchased, it is listed as a CD, let me see if I can post it here:

Suerte mi hermano!
Onile!

CHARANGA 76
LIVE AT ROSELAND

Our Price :
US $ 13.93

Edited By onile on 1130959849

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... aranga.gif
onile

Postby onile » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:33 pm

Alafia Abure Ralph!
Ya lo encontre, el CD "Son Primero" y lo ordene!

I'll give it a listen, looking at the list of musicians, some heavy cats here, it's bound to be "slammin'!"
I'll give you my take on it when I give it a listen mi pana!

Suave! and thanks for the suggestion on music! I always value musician's input!

Onile!
onile

Postby ralph » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:51 pm

[quote="onile"]Alafia Abure Ralph!
Ya lo encontre, el CD "Son Primero" y lo ordene!

I'll give it a listen, looking at the list of musicians, some heavy cats here, it's bound to be "slammin'!"
I'll give you my take on it when I give it a listen mi pana!

Suave! and thanks for the suggestion on music! I always value musician's input!

Onile!

Onile!!!

actually there is a Rene Lopez who used to play trumpet with Barretto's band, and he also has a son who plays trap drums i think....
the Rene Lopez i speak of is the one responsible for producing Grupo Folklorico Experimental Nuevayorkino, and countless other important recordings...his son Rene Lopez Jr, is a conguero/batalero/rumbero who is part of Totico's crew....as far as "Son Primero" goes you won't be sorry, Willie Garcia does an excellent job on vocals...and you have Oscar Hernandez and the late great Jorge Dalto on piano! Also Dave Valentin in strong form...all around good recording with excellent liner notes w/ pictures by Rene Lopez & Wife....
by the way thanks for the info on the Roseland recording...

Ralph

Edited By ralph on 1130961203
ralph

Postby onile » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:28 pm

¡Vaya Ralph!
Wow! I remember a video I use to have of Jorge Dalto Ibaye! It's one where he played with Tito Puente Ibaye!, and Patato up in Canada! I think they even had Jorge misnamed in the video, they cooked brothelee! I have on CDs both volumes of Grupo Folklorico Experimental Nuevayorkino, with Gene Golden and Milton Cardona, Virgilio Marti Ibaye! and the rest of those heavy cats throwing down the rythms like nobody's business!

I get a kick out of Dave Valentin's performance, with the faces he makes, he's very animated with his playing and that makes him fun to watch, but his talent is incredible and bears mentioning!

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1130963364
onile

Postby rumbaman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:47 pm

Hy gentelmen hope all is good . There is a place here in miami that is called El Museo De Los Discos check it out they have in stock or can get mostly anything .

rumbaman :D
rumbaman

Previous

Return to Open Discussion