He is coming !!!

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby soungalo » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:34 pm

Hi everybody
I just wanted to tell you that in about 3 weeks , Ray Barretto is coming to Israel . He was the first conga player I heard (at the age of 12 , I guess) besides my teacher .
You might not understand why I'm making it such a big deal , but you should know that latin music is not very popular here , so we seldom get to see really good conga players .
The only diappointing part is that he comes with what looks like one of these latin-jazz bands , and a drummer too ... I hoped for a real salsa band like in the good old days (I sound like I'm 80 (-: ) .
Anyway , I'm going to see Ray Barretto ! I hope he gives some master classes .

Good night
soungalo

Postby TampabayRey » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:00 pm

Try to take some pictures and post them if you can. :D
Rey
TampabayRey

Postby ABAKUA » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:43 pm

I understad how you feel bro, Id be well excited also!
Though Latin music and Salsa in general is very popular here, we only get international acts perhaps 2 or 3 times a year. The rest of the year its us doing the main work along with other bands.

A great privilidge to see an old school legend such as Ray. Ive never had the opportunity to see him live. Wouldve been great to be around when he was in his prime.

Be sure to get heaps of pics and get em up here!

I remember one of the first songs when I moved from bongo to congas as I was learning, I had to take a solo on congas in way back in the day was Ray Barreto's "Dichoso" and "Manos Dura".. ah the memories. :D

Like I said, wouldve been great to be around in the early days.
ABAKUA
Site Admin

Postby El Boni » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:41 pm

I wouldn't worry. I saw Mr Barretto a few months ago in London with his Latin Jazz band, and he did not disappoint. In fact he really seemed to have developed his style, and still has great chops.

B
El Boni

Postby onile » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:01 pm

Vaya Mis Hermanos!

Ray Barretto has one of the most unique styles of playing that I ever heard. I once had a video of his back in the 80's, it was a PBS performance, and he played "Spain", Wow! He cooked man! Ray Barretto's style is distinctly his, he lays down the pattern, and tosses in some chops with a timing that seems like he won't quite make it back, but BAM! There it is, he does and looks good doing it! He has always been one of my main conga gurus! Carlos "Patato" Valdez is my utmost hero of all time! Puya!

Suave!
Onile!
Que Nsambi les acutare pa' siempre!
onile

Postby zaragemca » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:50 pm

Greeting,Soungalo,I'm glad you could be able to enjoy the show,but who told you that (12) have been the yongers age of playing congas,and that your teacher and Ray Barreto where the only one at?....by the way this is the fact,been born in 1929,(according with his own saying),got the fire of conga playing after observing Chano Pozo in 1948,(which at that time was 18 old). Dr. Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1130785130
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby soungalo » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:04 pm

Hmmmm ... I didn't mean to say that . Is my English THAT bad ?
I meant that I was 12 , and by the time , the only conga player I knew besides my teacher was Mr. Barretto .
soungalo

Postby zaragemca » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:32 pm

Greeting,yes I was taking it as meaning that he started playing when he was 12 years old,so that was the reason of my clarification,enjoy the show and keep beating 'los cueros'.Dr.Zaragemca

Edited By zaragemca on 1130855578
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Raymond » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:01 pm

Barreto is currently "touring" with his latin jazz band. Darn good band. I just saw him, and assisted him just a month ago here in Puerto Rico, when he had a concert broken in half, jazz for almost 2 hours, and 1 1/2 hours of traditional salsa. (This salsa part played with rehearsed Puerto Rico musicians). Here, in Puerto Rico, he had to do it that way because the public here wants the "salsa". Too bad you will not get that part. But don't worry because the latin jazz is great. (He has a new latin jazz album that's what the concer is for)

Saludos!
Raymond

Postby Ivan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:04 pm

Soungulo,
Yes, I can understand the excitement! Ray Barretto is someone I look forward to seeing should the opportunity arise... I do love his older stuff albums like RicanStruction, The Message and of the course the famous "Indestructible"... That album cover cracks me up... I am sure some of you know what I am talking about...It's the one with Ray on the cover ripping his shirt open with the famous Superman logo of the late 70's...

Ray is trully a great artist. I look forward to seeing some of your pictures... Maybe you should try and put on a clinic while he is in town; that way when he arrives you can try and line it up so he makes a little extra cash and you get to hang with one of the greats???

Ivan

Edited By Ivan on 1130961916
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby soungalo » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:42 pm

That would be a great idea . Only one point , I am 19 , and for some reason I don't think my parents will be very pleased if they come home and find 10 conga players in there , including a seventy something Mr. Barretto .
However , it does sound like a great joke (-:
Do you really think he might agree to something like that ?
In did , it's a pitty that I won't get to hear some real salsa . The Israeli audience is too arrogant ... they like 'serious' music , like jazz . never mind , I have no reason to complain at all .
soungalo

Postby Ivan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:04 pm

soungalo wrote:That would be a great idea . Only one point , I am 19 , and for some reason I don't think my parents will be very pleased if they come home and find 10 conga players in there , including a seventy something Mr. Barretto .

Hey, well... I agree with you on your parents being a little upset about that, but who said it should be at your house!?! In my area there is always some sort of public area indoor/outdoor where people can get together... Maybe it would be worth looking in to some local music shops or drum stores, etc...
I don't know what Ray is like in person, but in most cases I find that most of us drumheads, especially congaheads are easy to approach... :;):

Since an individual like Ray probably doesn't come to your country often; I thought I would give you some ideas to take advantage of this small window in time... Look at this way; what's the worst that could happen?

Take Care bro and best of luck!
Ivan
Ilu Ache,
Ivan
Ivan

Postby onile » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:59 pm

Alafia Soungalo!
I hope that you are well my friend!

Listen, no matter what happens, have a camera with you always, and even if you are playing and can't take a picture of what's going on, have someone else do it! If you look at some of the posts on this forum, the most exciting ones are those that have pics documenting the event! I'm afraid I didn't follow this advice early on in my life, but I see the pics that JC, Abakua, and some of the other beautiful talented cats on this forum post, and it puts a smile in my heart!

Begin documenting your journey, at 19 yrs of age, you can have a fun time doing it!:cool:

Oh! and don't forget to post some of those pics on this forum, Otay? Otay! (Buckwheat circa 1940). :D

Suave!
Onile!

Edited By onile on 1131038326
onile

Postby onile » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:01 pm

My hero!
Buckwheat, the early years!

Edited By onile on 1131037357

Attachment: http://mycongaplace.com/forum/eng/uploa ... kwheat.gif
onile

Postby yoni » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:58 pm

Hi Soungalo,

I'm also in Israel, near Haifa. Where/when will Ray Barretto be playing? I would love to know. Saw him over ten years ago in Boston, can't believe he's still going at it. During one solo he picked up his quinto between his knees and then dropped it right on a beat in a run - the timing and sound this made was wild. The man is amazing.

All the best,

Yoni
yoni

Next

Return to Open Discussion