Where to in Cuba?

If you don't find a specific forum, post your message here (please read all the forum list first).

Postby Simon B » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Hello all. I'm trying to get myself to Cuba for three weeks next Easter. I want to attend a Spanish language school for part of the day, and then spend the rest of the time enjoying great music. The language schools tend to be in Habana or Santiago. Where do people suggest?

Friends have told me that the African heritage is stronger in Santiago de Cuba; however I really love the modern Cuban sound, especially timba, so I wonder whether a stay in Habana would be best (isn't Habana THE place here?). Alternatively I could do both - but this would split a short stay, and I like the idea of trying to know one place as far as I can within the stay.

Thanks

Simon B
Simon B

Postby JohnnyConga » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:09 pm

I would suggest u just find a Cuban girlfriend and learn to speak that way , It works , thats how I really learned to speak spanish in Miami...My father never spoke to us in any language but english and he spoke 4 languages... so when I moved there ..u HAVE to learn ..Miami is 52% Cuban ....you can live there and not even speak english all day long...but Miami doesn't have the SABOR that Havana has and the musical history....so the decision is still yours to make..... :D Me voy pa Havana!.... :D :D :D ..."JC" Johnny Conga...
JohnnyConga

Postby Charangaman » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:30 pm

Simon,

I have been lucky enough to visit the Island a few times, as a tourist, a traveller and a student. There's no escaping La Habana's mystique, romance, edginess etc.. But for me Santiago is the real unabashed unsantitized, raw Cuba.

And let's not forget, the birthplace of Cuban music and all it's facets. But why not visit both?
Charangaman

Postby zaragemca » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:59 pm

Greeting,Charangaman,I have nothing against the musical tradition of Santago de Cuba,but thinking that all type of music in Cuba was born there is a misconception.Dr. Zaragemca
International Club of Percussionists
zaragemca

Postby Charangaman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:46 am

Salutations Dr Z. Right, maybe I made a bit of a generalization there
:D

Maybe I should say.. Music in the Son tradition was born in Santiago de Cuba..

Anyway, Simon I hope you can manage to visit both of Cuba's great cities and get some perspective...The rivalry between the two is intense.
Charangaman

Postby akdom » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:44 am

Hi there

In cuba, music is everywhere...

One of the first place to go is the house of culture where you have local bands playing almost every nights. You might be able to see some great names thre.

There are manny clubs too. Just ask around, people are very friendly and will let you know where to go and what to see.

La Habana is not a beautiful place (actually Cuba is not beautiful, this is my opinion of course) so don't bother visiting stuff. The only thing to see is the heart of old Habana which has a few historical places.

If you happen to be in old Habana, ask for Yor at the end of the main street going to the see. Their are some guys giving tours on horse carriages. He works there and he will show you around safely for nothing (except what you want to give him). This guy became a good friend, tell him Dominique sent you.

AND, when you go there, bring stuff to give away. CDs, diapers, cigarets etc.. will be much apreciated.

Have fun (I know you will)
akdom

Return to Open Discussion